FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedEasy care plants

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Easy care plants
    Posted: 17 October 2010 at 1:52pm
We live in a cottage style house and there are two large raised gardens in front of the verandah. They get full sun, but the soil can get quite dry.
We currently have some roses planted there but there is room for lots more, and I want to plant something in the soil so I don't constantly have to do the weeding.

Anyone got any ideas for what I should plant here? I want something that is easy care, looks nice, maybe something that spreads, maybe something that smells nice, or even something edible?

Thanks
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 2:41pm
silverbeet would be cool on the porch, it grows well - or rhubarb - and then you can just pop out and pick some when you want.
or how bout a swan plant - just have to watch the kids dont try and eat it is all..
tomatoes, sweet williams, sweet peas, or how bout some succulents.

if you go to the local plant centre and tell them what sort of area you have to plant out they should be able to advise you.

kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 10:35pm
Cordylines and grasses are low maintenence. You can forget to water them every now and then.

But I like the silver beet and rhubarb theme. Maybe a dwarf citrus tree too or dwarf apple. Anything you can put in a pot really.

If you want permanent plants and not a seasonal garden then I recommend putting some weedmat down and some bark or stones on top around the plants.
kiwi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2010 at 10:38pm
Just read cottage style. Lavendar. Or box hedging. I would definately look at a minature orange or lemon.   I have seen some cool topairy ones.   
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2010 at 12:22pm
You could also do chamomile - it spreads so would deal with the weeds.  I think it flowers too.
 Post Reply Post Reply