FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHypnobirthing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hypnobirthing
    Posted: 02 January 2011 at 5:35pm
Has anyone done this???

Also does anyone know if there are classes in the Hutt Valley or Wellington???

Also has anyone had success doing this after a bad first labour/birth??? Thanks
Sponsored Links

rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 5:52pm
I know Karen used hypnobirthing during her labour (she borrowed a DVD or something of Emma) so you could ask her at the next coffee group
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

sarasal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarasal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 5:53pm
I looked into it but there was no one doing it in my area & it was really expensive. You can get cds to learn it yourself. Self-hypnosis techniques are pretty simple. You just have to come up with a few affirmations for yourself, like "I trust my body" or "I'm willing to have a beautiful, gentle birth" or whatever you like. Then just go through the usual relaxation & visualisation techniques ... there are lots of videos on you-tube etc to teach yourself.

They generally go something like this: visualise yourself slowly descending a staircase into a lovely pool of water. The water gets deeper with each step. You go down 10 steps until you are totally immersed, you see a glowing light, swim towards it, find a treasure chest, open it and find one of your affirmations inside. Slowly back up the stairs into normal consciousness.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 8:57pm
I don't know if I did hypnobirthing as such during my labour, but I did find keeping an open and positive mind and pretending each contraction was a wave that I was riding and 'one less' helped me a lot to a. dilate and b. take my mind off the pain.

Once I started thinking negatively was when it all went 'down hill' so to speak.

But I found visualising myself riding that wave, and the end result, myself dilating, helped as did keeping the positive frame of mind that I could do this, each contraction was one less I had to experience and one step closer to meeting DD... That I just had to trust my body that it knew what to do.

Hope that makes sense.

ETA: The wave was during each contraction along with the 'one less' line. The rest was in between contractions.

I had my eyes shut for all my contractions though, I found if I was watching the clock or anything it drove me batty timing! It was much quicker to visualise and not look at the clock! I also was in the birthing tub and moved my hands back and forward through the water like I was swimming kinda.

Edited by Lil_Nic9
Kalimirella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalimirella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2011 at 5:25am
I didn't do hypnobirthing as such, but I did just tell myself, my body can do this, I have great inner faith that our bodies are made to do this naturally.

And i agree, I never watched the clock either.

The other thing you might find useful, is I just relaxed into the contractions, and told myself this too shall FADE!!! And I seriously slept in between contractions :P, my body was very efficient and i went from 1cm to 10cm in 1h40mins :D
Kiara is 3 and Teagan is 2, now we're expecting our long awaited 3rd!
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2011 at 3:40pm

Originally posted by rachelsea rachelsea wrote:

I know Karen used hypnobirthing during her labour (she borrowed a DVD or something of Emma) so you could ask her at the next coffee group

Yes I borrowed the CD and book from Emma and yes the labour itself was awesome (till transition and birth and then it went to custard  (But that had NOTHING to do with hypnobirthing not working- just everything to do with baby being in wrong position and getting badly stuck).

I LOVED the hypnobirthing and would totally do it again- not that I'm gonna lol- time went by really quickly and considering my labour was quick and I went from 4cm to fully dilated in 2 hours, I can say the contractions must've been coming pretty quickly. I could feel them but yeah, they didn't really hurt so much. I just went inside myself iykwim and focused on breathing and feeling them. I used a bit of gas and the birthing pool and they were both awesome  I didn't go to classes as they were too dear for me but if you can afford it I say go for it. Esp if you had a bad first birth.

FionaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 3:21pm

Oooh can someone tell me more about this.

I am freaking out about giving birth, not that I had an awful birth, but I felt out of control which for me is probably what freaked me the most, I am a big believe of mind control so if anyone can point me to website reading info on this i would love to read it and just see what its all about.

Sorry to thread jack.

][/URL]

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 4:52pm
I got a book from the library Fiona. Its just given me a basic idea what it is but mainly talks about women from other cultures and how they birth and how much births have changed from being a natural thing to the complete opposite.

I did have a bad birth with dd. So i really want to get started on learning this early so hopefully its changes my way of thinking and panicking.

I think there are classes you can attend but unsure of where in Wellington they are yet
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 8:07pm
I would ask your mw, she would probably know or know of someone who could point you in the right direction.

Which book did you get?
FionaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 8:36pm

I am seeing MW on friday and she already knows I am freaking out a bit, so hopefully she has some ideas.

what is the name of the book, not even sure what section I would look under at library.

][/URL]

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 8:58pm
I used the book "Hypnobirthing. The Mongan method".
I had a hideous first birth experience, with every intervention under the sun - apart from c-section. I got PTSD after it and later PND :(
I was determined to be completely in control the second time. I planned absolutely everything!
I read the book and practised some of the breathing techniques often.
Had monthly accupuncture for relaxation/energy.
Compliled a list of postive affirmations- some from the tribalbaby website and some from the book - and read them often and during labour.
I read up on and taught my DH and Mum accupressure techniques to use on my during labour.
I had a meeting with DH/Mum/midwife when I told them all how I wanted the birth to go and what I wanted each of them to do, and what would happen in different situations - and gave them all lists, lol.
I decided not to time contractions or time labour. I decided not to have any routine interventions, and to only have interventions if there was something wrong with me/baby - had 1 scan all pregnancy, no stretch and sweeps, and told midwife I only wanted minimal internals during labour- and only if absolutely necessary.

I cant say I really had a hypnobirth, but I did use the techniques, was very calm for most of it - started to panic at one point, but was reassured and relaxed again when the mw said it was cos I was in transition!

DS is one next Mon, and I still cant believe what an awesome, amazing, natural experience his birth was. I was so freaked out after Isla's, I could never imagine that it could go so differently and so well!

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 9:01pm
The book ive got is called Hypnobirthing. Its just from the pregnancy section in the library. It was the first one i saw. So im going to have another look next time im there.

Im going to ask my mw next time about acupuncture.

After dds labour & birth i just think i really need to try this so i dont have a repeat.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 9:26pm
Look into acupressure, a friend of mine did it with her first and went into labour a few hours later about 2 days before her DD, it's meant to be really effective, more so than acupuncture.
Topkat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Topkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 11:08am
My girlfriend takes class's in Nelson she lernt the art while living in the UK and is now a trained teacher as a result of her beautiful birth with her first baby
My first birth was horrible really long no patten to contractions baby round the wrong way etc and in the end a c-section due to waters baing broken for two long and getting an infection! I am very scared of giving birth again so am looking into hyponbirthing as I have herd nothing but good things does anyone know of class's in dunendin? I will most prob end up with a book or cd
Jacobsmumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacobsmumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 12:09pm
Hmm I might have to look into this further.  Do you think reading the book will be enough? I know classes would be beneficial but I don't think our $$ will stretch that far. 

(9lbs 6ozs)

(11lbs 4ozs)
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 12:15pm
I guess it depends how dare the classes are, but for us it would be more beneficial for dp to go to the classes. There is no way i could get him to read a book about it

I couldnt find any more books from my library so might try another library and see if they have any
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 3:17pm
Sabrina, I went to my local library but they only had the one book which Kellz mentioned above. The Wellington Public Library might have more though but when I did a search that was the only one that came up...

There could be something online that you could rope your DP into watching but agree classes could be better and I know with my DP he wouldn't really 'care' unless he was in a class - anything I told him about babies he wasn't too interested until we went to antenatal then it was 'make sure you listen to EVERYTHING she says!'
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 9:51pm
Sabrina, your more than welcome to borrow my book (Ive bnought it in prep for #2)
There are classes in welly, and LH, but they are about quite expensive from memory, about $400 I think?? Email her and ask (she seemed lovely)

+1 May 09 Angel
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2011 at 9:18am
We would have liked to do the classes too but the only ones we could find were in Auck, and they ran over 6 weeks,....would possibly have done it if they were still running a weekend course tho.
Polina21225227 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polina21225227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2017 at 11:30pm
Hello everyone, I would like to know more about . What can I say?hypnobirthing
 Post Reply Post Reply