FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPotted Trees for Placenta Burial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
milipidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milipidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potted Trees for Placenta Burial
    Posted: 07 January 2011 at 6:48pm
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a good tree for planting in a pot with the placenta. I have been told citrus trees are good but I am not a great fan and was hoping there might be a native alternative.

Thanks
Sponsored Links

happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 5:58pm

Milipidi have you found anything yet?  I'm not great with suggestions 'cause I would definitely go with a citrus or dwarf apple or something if it were me!  Would be interesting to hear what you choose in the end.  Does it have to be a tree?  The other thing I would probably choose for myself would be a rose of some sort but only because I love them.

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2011 at 1:13pm
I did not know you could put placentas in pots (never thought about it), I have 2 in the freezer & this goes back 6+ yrs DS1's we planed with a native tree on the IL's farm...then they sold up & moved & we sold up & moved not long after DS2 was born so never planted one then...so don't want the same thing happening again.

Will look at doing a rose bush...can you put 2 placentas in the same pot?
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2011 at 2:24pm
we have 2 in the freezer too.....I've been thinking about a pot lately too as I dont like the idea of moving after we plant them...mind you they are doing F all in the freezer LOL I'm just worried I will kill whatever I plant and then worry its a bad omen
Kirsty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirsty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2011 at 1:58pm
Hi there, we planted our sons placenta in a pot with a dwarf kowhai. It's doing really well
DaisyAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaisyAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 12:12am
We finally (he is 23 months now) got round to planting Roman's placenta in a pot with a mandarin tree - doing well so far (and I have 2 brown thumbs!)

[/URL]
milipidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milipidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 9:40pm
Sorry DS arrived not long after I posted this and I haven't been near the forums until now.

After some discussion the MIL has offered to take the placenta back up north and have it planted with his tipuna up there. I do like the dwarf kowhai suggestion though. Being from the Bay I was also considering an olive tree which I have heard do quite well.

Edited by milipidi
milipidi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milipidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 9:48pm
nzpiper and jazzy

The info I found on planting them in a pot is to ensure that the pot is at least 450mm high so that it allows enough room between placenta and roots to ensure they don't get burnt. Alternatively the placenta can be composted into a smaller pot and the plant added later. Only other word of advice I have had is to leave the pot on the ground/grass because it can leak.

Post Reply Post Reply