FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked18mth old naps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 18mth old naps
    Posted: 14 January 2011 at 2:04pm
So 18mth old DD has all of a sudden decided that she is only going to sleep for an hour during the day down from 2... Problem is that she is so tired about dinner time and grumpy and stroppy and hitting out etc that I need to get her back to sleeping longer.

At night she goes to bed at 7.30 pretty much everynight that doesn't mean she goes straight to sleep though she can lie in bed talking to herself for anywhere up to an hour. She normally wakes up at 7-7.30 so she gets almost 12hours most nights.

She's only little so burns off alot of energy when she's running around - this child doesn't know how to sit down and play she sits for a min and is up running off again.

Can anyone suggest anything round her naps?

Maybe I'm putting her to bed too late for her naps its normally somewhere between 11-1pm I put her down although that hasn't changed either... agggghhh what to do

Sponsored Links

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2011 at 7:31pm
Ben usually sleeps for 1-1.5hrs which really isn't long enough but I have decided that the energy that would be required to get him back to sleep isn't worth it. I just bring bedtime forward. We head into the bedroom anytime from 6.30-7pm and he is asleep by 7.30 at the latest.
Until she can last longer I would just suggest putting her to bed early
Lindsey

Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2011 at 8:33pm
cory is excatly the same, except we have 45min sleeps...once a day if we are lucky.

i make sure that he has plenty of snacks and water...because this heat will be playing a part in the grumpiness and he has dinner about 5pm and is in bed by 7pm...normally up about 6.30am for a snuggle with mummy before the day starts

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2011 at 9:03pm
My dd at that age would have about 1.5 hrs but sometimes only 1 hr.

Id be giving her dinner earlier and putting her to bed at 630pm. And see how that goes. If her naps start getting longer again stretch out bed time again

Edited by _SMS_
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2011 at 9:07pm

I would put her to bed earlier at night as well. Ellas a couple of years older but on the days where she has a very short day sleep or none at all (daycare days) she will happily go to bed at 6.30.

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2011 at 9:08pm
I found that Jae was sleeping less during the day too, about an hour (some days I'd be lucky to get 10 mins sleeping in the car on the way home then that was it til after dinner!), and she'd go down anywhere from 11am onwards... She's just gone into a 'big bed' this last week and amazingly is back to having sleeps of 2 hours + I think it may have been where the room was positioned, her old room got ALL the afternoon sun, so by 2pmish was starting to get stuffy, whereas her current bedroom gets sun in the mornings and has moved on by lunchtime, leaving it a little cooler... I've also pushed her sleeps out as much as I can so she doesnt go to bed until after lunch now. I'm really hoping she keeps it up cos it would be SO nice to have a 2 hour break in the afternoon, assuming bubs cooperates too lol!
Brandon - 05/12/2003

HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2011 at 9:21pm
I would put her to bed earlier and have, but she just woke up earlier I.m not a morning person AT ALL.

Unfortunately I can't move her room can't put her in a big bed as she's still in with us (we live with parents and theres not enough room for her to have her own room) I do close the curtains we have a fan and the windows are open so the room is definitely cool enough.

Hmm maybe I should be trying to put her to bed after lunch, she has started protesting abit as well this week when putting her to bed. I used to be able to get home on Wed after My gym and she'd go down for 2hrs gaaaaaaahhhhh

mrsbt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsbt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2011 at 10:35pm
I would move to afternoon nap at 1-1:30pm. That is what we have done. My 2 and 3 yos still both have naps in the afternoon and then go to bed at 7-7:30 in the evening. In the afternoon I don't get them up till 3:30 usually so they are in their rooms for 2 hours though they don't have to sleep 2 hours...

Keep trying things out till you find what works for her.

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2011 at 9:37am
I think you either need to drop the sleep entirely and put her down at night at say 6:30pm or (my preference...) to put her down a little later in the afternoon, say 1:30pm. Only risk there is that you may have to wake her an hour later so that she doesn't stay up too late at night.

FYI my 22mo goes to bed about 1 or 1:30pm and then 8pm (through to about 7:15am).
gmunster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmunster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2011 at 9:29pm

If it makes you feel any better, my 19 month old does not have a day sleep at all!! and has not done for about a month (occsaional days excepted). She does get grumpy around 5 but lots of drinks and fruit and snacks and in bed by 7 at the VERY latest - she sleeps till 8 most mornings.

However, before she dropped the sleep she was having an hour - hour and half but only after lunch, then she went to bed a little later - 8 at night.

jano1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jano1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2011 at 8:24am
I'd be inclined to try a later nap too- sounds like she isn't tired enough to have a decent sleep at 11. My DD sleeps at 1pm-3 or 3.30 and she is 2. We had lots of protest at around 16 months so we shifted nap time back by 30mins and it seemed to do the trick.
Huggles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2011 at 8:30pm
hiya I would also recommend moving the nap to be 1230 - 1pm ish. DD will sleep for about 2 hours once i did this however I will always wake DD up by 3pm and she will go to bed again between 7 and 730pm

You sooo need some me time and they also need some quiet time too. Good luck
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2011 at 9:15pm
I'd also put her down later for the nap. Morgan goes any time between 12-1.30 depending on how tired she is, but usually 12.30/1ish. She sleeps for a couple of house most days but I wish she'd sleep less as she wants to be up til at least 8pm now! And is up at 6.30am still. shes in bed at 7.30 if she only gets an hour nap.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2011 at 10:16pm
My two here have been doing this for about 6 month or so.

My boy will go to bed with his bottle at 11.30am & be out like a light for 3 hours.

My CC goes to bed basically at the same time with a bottle but won't go to sleep for an hour & I don't get her up until he gets up. She stays in her cot quietly so is having chill out time. So I think she's getting 1 1/2 hours sleep. I do know if I get her up too early then she's grumpy in the arvo.

A rest is as good as a sleep so maybe a restful period might help or does she scream the house down in her cot?

To train my CC to sleep/stay in her cot, I usually go into her room about half hour after bed & say it's sleep time. Same if I heard her after 45mins, I'd go back & say it's not get up time it's still sleep time. 90% of the time she went back to sleep. Obviously I get her up if she's loud as then she definitely is not in sleep mode.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
 Post Reply Post Reply