FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedsciatica pains

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sciatica pains
    Posted: 08 March 2011 at 3:30pm
I had sciatica pains quite bad while pregnant with DD. I had to wear a support belt from the physio. But it got really hard to move end of pregnancy.

This time seems im getting it already. Just on my left side. I have no idea how i would go to physio appointments with a toddler so need to look at other ways to try help it.

Has anyone else had this and done something other than physio? is there any natural remedies i can take? or any tips to make it go away?

Sponsored Links

JessDub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 3:51pm
I wouldn't muck around- you should get to your physio, should only take one session to sort out.

I've had great success with my osteopath, she can fix things in one visit. It costs $35 (with ACC) per visit and it's money well spent. One session at about 15 weeks preg sorted out my lower back pain and sciatica, as well as my headaches.

ETA: I don't mean to imply osteopathy is miracle one-off cure! Since I put my back out last year, I probably revisit osteopath every three months. Things seem to start hurting again then and she knows what needs fixing.

Edited by JessDub

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 4:01pm
Wow really. It only ever helped me for a short time after with DD. But it was later in pregnancy.

Ok i will look into booking an appointment then. Hopefully i can get it sorted.
rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 4:29pm
I have it too SMS (also earlier than I got it with DD), I had my first accupuncture appt yesterday and it does feel better. Also she told me that if I start feeling the pain to go on all fours and rock back and forth for a while.

The number to ring at Hutt for accupuncture is 5666999 and ask for Maternity Enquiries and just book an appointment, I think they have physio too just ring and ask. You can drop Taylah off here on the way if you need to if you have an appt at the hospital
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 6:37pm
I've got something similar to sciatica again already too, and was reading about it and a couple of suggestions were sitting on those yoga balls, concentrating on not slouching when sitting and heat packs. The worst for me is at night and since sleeping with a cushion between my legs and making sure I'm not too curled up (though knees bent). I've noticed some improvement. Otherwise can your DP/DH give you a bit of a massage using something like arnica (one suggestion someone mentioned was a rub down with a tennis ball some how helps)?

I have the same worry, how do you go to the physio with a toddler, I took him to the scan and then didn't go well so I imagine the physio would be much the same.

I often use the support belts things I was given last time too, I had a belt but that's a bit annoying as it slips, I've also got this tube bandage looking thing that seems to help support a bit too.

I just did another quick search and a few other suggestions were:

*stretching,
*swimming
*walking
*pelvic tilts
*heat packs
Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 8:53pm
A couple of visits to Osteo fixed it for me as well, but helped that I worked alongside one!
 Post Reply Post Reply