FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFunding Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Plumbum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plumbum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Funding Question
    Posted: 26 March 2011 at 10:38pm
Hey everyone,
Just wanted to ask a question about IVF funding. But firstly a little bit about me.... After two ectopic pregnancies I now have no tubes left, but are blessed with two little one conceived naturally. Unfortunately after nearly losing my life the last time I'm still crazy enough to want a third child. I know I should be just grateful for want I have got (and please don't judge me on this), but I just can't shake that desire for another.

Reading up on the criteria for public funding I see if you have two kids you an ineligible for it. Which is totally fair enough, but my gynecologist told me that we might be depending on waiting lists (as we fit all the other criteria). Has another heard of anyone that got funding when they already had two kids? The only reason why I ask is IF we do go down the IVF path it will not be until 2012 so wasn't sure if we would make an appointment to see someone about it now or just wait until next year on the assumption that we will be paying for it ourselves.

TIA

Sponsored Links

SunshineWife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SunshineWife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2011 at 12:32pm
Sorry, don't know anything about funding when you already have 2 kiddies. If you have one I think the wait is 5 years... Have you had a look on fertility associates website, they have some good info about public funding there.

Good luck!
Me 27, DH 25 (MFI)
IVF + ICSI March '11 BFN and no frosties
Plumbum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plumbum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2011 at 3:08pm
Hey thanks for that. I believe (and I might have this wrong) that the 5 year thing is for unexplained infertility. The reason for our infertility is know thanks to the loss of both my fallopian tube so if we were eligible for the funding than I'm sure the waiting list isn't 5 years long.

Anyway, it clearly states that with 2 kids you are ineligible for the funding on all websites I have read and that is what I said to the gynecologist, but she said different. So not sure who to believe, hence why I asked the question but since no replies I guess noone knows? Ah well its not biggy as we were expecting to have to pay anyway, plus my age is ticking on and once I hit 38 (late 2012) that is the cut off for me, so if it hasn't happened by then that will be it for us.
JaneW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaneW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2011 at 8:29pm
Hi Lissa, I'm really sorry about your ectopic pregnancies. I would imagine that you would need to phone up or make an appointment with your nearest fertility clinic to find out whether you will be eligible for funding or not.
If it doesn't say for certain on the criteria on the website then they may make a decision at their own discretion. But I would suggest finding out sooner rather than later as if you are wanting to start in 2012-the waiting lists for public funded cycles are pretty long at most clinics- it was initially 20 months when I was first put on the list-so if you were to get funding then you may want to look into it now. Best of luck!
Me 28, DH 30
ttc #1 Feb 2009
MFI
ICSI December 2010
FET April...BFP!!
Baby girl due 3rd Jan 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply