FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWeaning of citalapram

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1st_Time_Preggies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaning of citalapram
    Posted: 15 April 2011 at 1:58pm
Anyone else done this and have any advice? I have talked to my GP and they are pretty useless, have just said to do it slowly.

I was on one tablet and in the last week have cut down to 3/4 of a tablet. Am thinking I will do it SUPER slowly, so probably quarter of a tablet every few weeks or so.

I feel like I am ready, but am if we get a bad patch of sleeping and I get sleep deprived, I will feel the anxiety come back again?
Sponsored Links

girly_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girly_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2011 at 2:20pm
I had to wean of citalopram as it wasn't working for me anymore - BUT I weaned onto something else pretty soon after. The best advice my friend was given (as she is doing this) is to go extremely slowly and make sure you are looking after yourself. Her hubby went away for work in Welly and things got bit bumpy. But by then she was down to 1/4 of a tablet. If you do it slowly and nothing else changes in your life during the weaning I'm told that it shouldn't be bad, but chances are you will get a little anxious especially if sleep deprived.
1st_Time_Preggies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2011 at 2:40pm
Thanks girlygirl. Yes am doing it extremely slowly. I thought maybe 1/4 of a tablet every few weeks. I am in no hurry.

I am scared that I will get anxious if things take a turn for the worse (with sickness etc) and I get sleep deprived again. Not sure what to do about that though? Is it a sign I should stay on the meds?
girly_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girly_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2011 at 9:17pm
I would think it depends on how anxious you feel and whether it would be a 'normal' reaction for a non PND person. What strategies do you use for your anxiety normally? I have a chart on my fridge of all the things I can do to remind myself - I find that really useful. I've been told when I'm feeling anxious to ask myself if that is a valid response, if it is then its about finding a way to cope with that (for me its exercise and sewing - being creative). If its not, then it may be a medication issue. One of the things my OT got me to do was to keep an anxiety journal so I could see the patterns and things..might be something you could try?
shadowfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2011 at 9:32pm

For me, it's the opposite just now. I'm monitoring my medication by myself (with some input from MMH) with the view of increasing dosage instead of reducing, and know that if I have a really bad week or 2 then it might be time to raise the dose again a tiny bit, and to wait another few weeks and see how things are going then.

It's the same as coming off it really. If you notice things get worse maybe stay at that dose for a week or so more, if things don't improve maybe you need to go back up for a wee bit longer. Pretty much what girlygirl said! Don't expect them to work quickly, and they take a while to wear off fully. Don't get too disheartened if you can't come off them the first time you try either, sometimes it's just a matter of another few months

lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2011 at 5:29pm
I have just weened off this but I was on 60mg. After I got down to 20mg I just stopped. I felt nauseas and a bit light headed for the first week, and my mood was all over the place, and I found myself particularly angry, but now that has passed and things are fine. They are an awful drug to come off and it doesn't get any easier with withdrawal effects, so if you think you're ready to do life without them then from my experience you really just have to ride out the yucky time.
09_mrs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 09_mrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 11:08am
Hi there,

I'm coming off citalopram at the moment too :)

The advice for withdrawing from my physcologist was this:
First 2 weeks: 1 tablet, 1/2, 1, 1/2, ...
Next 2 weeks: 1, 1/2, 1/2, 1, 1/2, 1/2, ...
Next 2 weeks: 1/2, 1/2, 1/2, 1/2, ....
Final 2 weeks: 1/2 every 2nd day.

I start my final two weeks on Friday and it's been going really well. I was afraid that it was going to be terrible but I'm actually feeling better. I think that one of my side effects must have been fatigue / drowseyness or something cause I'm not feeling that tired at all.

She told me that if you start feeling not great when you cut down to the next level then to just stay at the previous dose for a bit longer.

I'm also a bit sleep deprived at the moment .... grrr to teething, but I think my anxiety is alot less now that I'm not a new Mum etc, I have a lot less to worry about then back in the newborn days :()

Good luck
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 1:15pm
How is it going 1st_Time_Preggies? I weaned off in Dec/Jan. If I remember correctly I went from 1 tablet to 1/2 a day for about 4wks then 1/2 every 2nd day for 4wks then nothing
Lindsey

Post Reply Post Reply