FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPotatoes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potatoes
    Posted: 15 June 2011 at 2:39pm
How do people grow their potatoes?  I haven't bothered with them before but I'm think I might this year.  I'm quite keen on the idea of getting some old tyres and growing them that way.  Has anyone else done it this way? 
Sponsored Links

Doublemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doublemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 10:10pm
Yeah we did this year. Tyres were free from garage and planted them in some dirt with some potato food and everytime we saw green growth put more soil ontop and kept stacking the tyres up to about 3 or 4 high from memory.
had quite a good yeild for first timers.
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 2:19pm
thanks Doublemama - should have thought to ask you in the first place!!  I think I'm going to give it a go this year.  Might try for a couple of stacks and see how we go.  When did you put yours in?  I know you're meant to wait until the frosts are over...
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 9:03am
You guys are like matching people
I have never planted in tires, i just mound them up in the garden. There are a few varietys you can plant about now that will survive the frosts. I am not sure which of the top of my head though sorry. My gardening alamac thing suggests towards the end of sept is the best time to plant your early potatoes.
Bemuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bemuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 10:29pm
Hey HappyMumma - I haven't tried this, but here are some instructions on how to plant potatoes. I've followed some of their other instructions on this site and had some good successes.
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 11:07am
Ive used tyres & also planted them in the garden. Had success with both

Although if you plant them in the garden ive heard you need to plant them in a new spot each time.
 Post Reply Post Reply