FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLunch eating help needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lunch eating help needed
    Posted: 07 July 2011 at 12:38pm
I just discovered my daughters lunch outside her window from earlier in the week.

I've gone on about eating lunch & talked & probably yelled til I'm blue in the face. I've threatened & have turned up at her school at morning tea time to embarrass her into eating it.

This afternoon I'm not going to take her to Gym which she loves.

Obviously I have to send her with food even though it's not eaten.

What to do next. How would you deal with it, If she was here during this discovery I'd be pretty angry. Maybe I should retrieve the pie & serve it up to her for dinner?
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Sponsored Links

Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 1:14pm
Is she not eating all her lunch Kel or just some of it? My sister is going through this with my 5 year old nephew at the moment, though in his case she was sending him with a lunchbox full of things and he was only eating one thing (usually the crackers and cheese) the whole day.

She has removed everything that takes longer to eat like crackers, grapes, apples etc coz he is slower at eating than everyone else and wants to play when everyone else is. She is also only sending him with two things. A piece of fruit for morning tea and a sandwich for lunch. I think she thought he couldn't decide what to eat and was mostly just picking so she would remove the options. Also taking all the nice treat things out of his lunchbox was a punishment for not eating lunch.

Its working so far. He is eating most of his lunch each day (the fruit and about half the sandwich). Hope that helps. I can imagine how annoyed you are - my sister was livid at discovering my nephew's stockpile of uneaten lunches in his waredrobe!
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 1:53pm
She only gets a sandwich & something else small ie banana, rice crackers, carrot sticks, celery sticks. So that doesn't work LOL

But yeah it's the exact same situation and you know what she looks like, she needs to eat.
Kel

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 3:46pm
in my experience you cant force them to eat and by getting really angry and punishing her for not eating you are sending her a wrong message. You have to pretend it doesnt matter and that you dont care. You dont want her hiding her food and pretending, you need her to trust you enough to let you know she hasnt eaten it.

Maybe getting her to make her own lunch will help? Perhaps givng her 2 choices and saying i dont care which you eat but eat one. Its hard at school because they only give you so long to eat before play time and you dont want to miss out on playing.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 6:33pm
Yeah I know Bizzy, that's why I'm asking for ideas.

Again she didn't eat her lunch, she knows she has to eat it, on the way back to the car she asked me what was to eat when she got home from school, this is with a full lunch box! So I just said calmly you can go get the pie you threw out the window, that is when she pulled out her lunch box & ate the food on the way home. I've told her no more food until dinner time. She knows that she's allow a snack after school, but lunch turned into that snack.

We've had huge food issues with her throughout her life & I don't want her to have bad ideas about food based on battles. 90% of the time it's not a battle but the 10% is killing me.

Dinner time used to be a battle but somehow we've come through that one due to changes in her diet, but now she wants all the things that set her off, that is hard cause the other kids at school have them.

Also I have been out to school, she keeps sitting at her desk when the teacher is telling her to go, she likes to finish her work so automatically cuts short the food time. I was going to have a word to the teacher today but a reliever was in there.
Kel

Mum_me View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum_me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2011 at 9:01am
I'm embarassed to admit that I was a lot like your daughter growing up. I also used to not eat my school lunch and barely anything at dinner time - I think for a long time the only full meal I ate was breakfast.

I think that I used to do it to get attention, although even as an adult I am still not a very big eater.

My advice is to not make too big a deal about it - unless it is effecting her energy levels. Just keep doing what you are doing (nothing but the lunchbox till dinner).

I think that karma has come back to get me as my DD must be the worst eater alive and is just about to start feeding therapy!
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2011 at 9:32am
Thanks Mum_me, she is always hungry when home so am surprised she can last the day without eating. She didn't eat her lunch again yesterday even though she promised me. So again she didn't get anything til dinner time.
Kel

Kate08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2011 at 9:24am
It sounds like she's too busy to eat! See if you can get the teachers to monitor what she is eating - it could be she's sharing someone else's lunch??
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2011 at 3:20pm
Am pretty certain she's not sharing others lunches. I have had one of the parent helpers to keep an eye on her in the past so will talk to her again.
Kel

Post Reply Post Reply