FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked’Neophobic’ toddler, mum in tears!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
kakapo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2011 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Nikki Nikki wrote:

If it makes you feel better, my second child will eat ANYTHING, so I know its not us! lol

Ditto Nikki - my second child is a great eater too, and I was so relieved as had been thinking I must have been doing everything wrong with DS .

Millyz, have you tried an earlier dinner time? I've found that 5pm works well for our kids, especially if they've had a particularly exhausting day out and about. Took me ages to realise that days they were particularly fussy about food were the same days dinner was served later lol.
Sponsored Links

Millyz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2011 at 7:43pm
True, only issue is I work some days so 6pm is the earliest we can get home from work/daycare and have dinner ready, twice a week. Also my husband doesn't get home till close to 6pm most days so it would mean going back to eating without him. Not sure what to do as obviously Lizzie's eating is the most important thing but it wouldn't work long term for us.
RuthyH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuthyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2011 at 9:34am
Thanks Millyz, I'm liking the feel good factor!

millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2011 at 1:21pm
Thanks, I think that was meant for me?. I just think we can be so hard on ourselves sometimes, and if we didn't care so much we wouldn't be reading about and writing this stuff right

bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2011 at 7:38pm
My son is exactly like this. He is great with sandwiches, fruit, snacks and anything dairy. But when it comes to dinnertime it is a battle. He loves chicken nuggets, mini pizzas (meatlovers only) and fish fingers. Red meat and any kind of vegetable is hard to get into him at all. It has taken us almost a year but he now can eat carrots which feels like a huge victory for us. I am sick of making two different dinners every night but I really do take those small victories and run with them :)

RuthyH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RuthyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2011 at 10:35pm
You're right millemama that was for you sorry I got lost in the thread!

Well breakthrough today - 2 tiny pieces of chicken and 4 pieces of sausage consumed! i did a very good job of pretending not to notice but was all happy inside! Have also bought and read a book which I have found very comforting - called 'my child won't eat' it's designed for parents whose children don't seem to eat anything (which is not my problem) but very informative about children's eating habits and needs. Has given me confidence to trust my son more to eat what he needs so long as offered a healthy range. A link for anyone interested -

http://www.amazon.com/My-Child-Wont-Eat-International/dp/0912500999

bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2011 at 9:47am
Phoenix ate 1/3 of his spaghetti bol over the weekend, we were over the moon. The pasta and the tomato sauce (which he dislikes the texture of both) and the cheese (which hes always loved). When it went fairly cold he didn't want it anymore but I was able to convince him to have three more mouthfuls so he could have pudding. We did give him alot of praise and he seemed to love that, but while he was eating we didn't make a huge deal. I did show him what I was cooking while I was making dinner and I wonder if that made a difference at all?

millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2011 at 2:29pm
I know that feeling Ruthy, on the outside calm and slightly disinterested, on the indside, doing the mambo and the chacha around the room. lol

Have read the reviews on that book you recommended. I liked the attitude re doctors and nutritionists, they can easily make you feel like you are doing the wrong thing or not doing enough and that your child will suffer, its puts some balance back into the equation.

HuMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 2:31pm
Hi guys, loving reading this post. DS is the worst dinner eater ever, and will not try new things. Was a fab eater till about 18months and then just stopped. I've tried all the suggestions!
And I had a terrible day today at his transition day a daycare where they provide the food.

I didn't give him too much to eat before we went so be might try the lunch they cooked, but all I got was mummy I'm hungry wheres my real lunchbox. And I was thinking hello people he's 2. Where on earth are the sandwhiches (it was soup and muffins). I left thinking he's going to starve 5 days a week.

Generally he eats well till lunchtime. Never eats dinner, not even kid staples like nuggets, cheerios or pizza! But happily goes to bed without, so I'd resigned myself to the fact he's eating lots the rest of the day and just doesn't need it. Of course now he's starting daycare and won't eat there food, I'm thinking he's going to starve. (although I've never heard of a child starving at daycare before...and I'm sure it would have made the news!!

Anyway just wanted to rant as I'm sitting here feeling like a bad mum sending him to a daycare where I can't pack his lunch with something he will eat.....

millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 2:52pm
Just a quick question HuMum, but you are in charge here, not Daycare, if its not going to work - and I know that feeling when other people say, "if he's hungry he'll eat", when you know that he won't, - then pack him his own lunch, surely they can open his lunchbox for him to eat. Can't see why it would be a problem. Oh and we are not bad mums, just slightly desperate, caring souls with large patience, lol.

HuMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 3:42pm
Yeah millemama I had thought of that. Thought I would see what the menu is for the whole day. He usually eats most his food at morning tea anyway. But if it looks like he won't anything then I'm going to send him with food. He doesn't start for a few weeks yet, so I've got time to sort something out.
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 9:43pm
My son didn't like daycare lunches either (dinner type food) - he started quite little though so the first one he went to would just give him a jar of baby food instead of homemade if he wouldn't eat. We had to move him after 4.5 months though .... and thats when my battle started as to get him off jars we basically moved to all finger food at home (about 15mths). But at his new daycare it was all homemade things like spag bog, mac cheese, casserole, meatloaf - all mixed up how he didn't like it! He ate their "designer sammies" and sometimes the fish nuggets and chips, but that was about it. After a while I did end up sending food as I got so worried he would not want to go to daycare! (Daycare dont like food sent as its not fair on the other kids if one is having "treats" or nicer food). He did have to have a bowl of their food and wait for the others to finish (in the hope he'd eat it) and if he didnt like it they would let him have some food I packed. They also tried giving him part of the meal like plain pasta or veges which he sometimes ate. After a few weeks of that they agreed to make him toast / sammie and fruit if he wouldnt eat any of the lunch instead of me packing food. He used to always eat HEAPS of morning tea and afternoon tea to make up for it! By the time he moved into the over 2s rm he ate a few things sometimes and they did lots of praise and high fives with the chef if he tried a few mouthfuls etc. His carer was really patient with encouraging him, but if he tried it then didn't like it they let him leave the table. I don't think they gave him extra food in there but he did start eating better .... most days came home pretty starving but it was only twice a week by then as I had a baby at home so I stopped worrying about it. He is 4 now and eats well there, and has done for the last year.

So it may be a tough time for a while. But hopefully with seeing all the other kids eat he will copy them. and the teachers will have dealt with lots of kids like that before, so talk with them about your concerns. You never know, he may eat better for them! (I hope!!) Good luck.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2011 at 9:46pm
Oh I also tried to make macaroni cheese at home (even took some of theirs home one day!) to try to get him to eat it at home as he hated it. I don't think it helped though, but maybe worth a try.

This week he ASKED for it!!!! He also asked for Vege soup this week. Something he also hated a couple of years ago. So there is hope guys!!
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2011 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Millyz Millyz wrote:

True, only issue is I work some days so 6pm is the earliest we can get home from work/daycare and have dinner ready, twice a week. Also my husband doesn't get home till close to 6pm most days so it would mean going back to eating without him. Not sure what to do as obviously Lizzie's eating is the most important thing but it wouldn't work long term for us.

We had a phase like this. For a couple of months, I got daycare to give him dinner before I picked him up. I also remember reading an article that was problem-solving a similar situation. They suggested looking at dinner time differently - maybe make lunch the bigger meal and dinner was snacks in the car (maybe some cold meat or veges or crackers) then something light at home. I often give DS1 a healthy snack when we get home (we sit down and have a "picnic") and that tides him over; it also means that if he packs a sad and doesn't eat tea, I know he's had something vaguely healthy.

I'm a big fan of not always following the "Rules" about how things are done and looking at what works for your family.
Mum to two wee boys
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12