FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat are you planting RIGHT NOW (August)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you planting RIGHT NOW (August)
    Posted: 10 August 2011 at 9:06am
I am at a bit of a loss. I have onions in the ground as of yesterday and some brassica seedlings waiting to go in but i'm holding onto them for maybe another week. I have watermelon seeds growing in pots ready to plant when they're a bit bigger. Other then that....what else goes in now? My garden is getting empty! I was told broad beans, but i don't fancy eating them.
Sponsored Links

Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 9:34am
I guess it's a bit warmer up here, but I just put in silverbeet, brocolli, caulis, cabbages, bok choy and celery. I often find that things like brocolli planted at this time of year get a slow start, but it's still worth putting them out here.

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 11:46am
I have broc, cauli and cabbage waiting to go :D I refuse to plant silverbeet because it grows really well and then i have to eat it Mmmm might put in some asparagas though i dont eat that either. Just want to see how it grows!
blessedmama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 12:34pm
I'm new to the whole gardening thing so was going to ask the same question myself! I've just planted some cabbage and brocolli seedlings to see what happens.
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 12:45pm
I am new to gardening too blessedmama! I started in December last year to give me something to do while i waited for the baby to arrive. Good luck with the broc and cabbage. I have raised mine to seedlings in little pots but i am too scared to put them in the big garden just in case they don't make it. Besides i'm not 100% which is which now.
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 12:54pm
Wait a bit until the threat of frosts has passed and they are a bit bigger. My garden is overgrown and horrible ATM but I am going to get onto it. You can plant broad beans from seeds- yum yum yum!

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 1:10pm
ewwww, i was going to grow some just because i read they grow really well this time of year but i dont want to eat them!
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 6:39pm
How sad. Dont bother growing them if your not going to eat them, unless you need more nitrogen in your soil cause legumes are good at that.

Bemuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bemuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 10:25pm
Hi Bowie - Have you heard of Awapuni Nurseries? Every month they tell you what is good to plant now. Here's the link to August. If you sign up to their monthly newsletter they tell you what to plant and give step by step instructions. And you can also easily search their site for instructions or other info. Other than what you've got already, they're suggesting to also plant potatoes, yams and kumaras at this time - so they're ready for Christmas.
millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2011 at 2:41pm
Hey Bowie, you should give broadbeans a go. They are soooo much nicer than the frozen stuff in the shops that go grey and chewy when boiled to death. I grew some last year cos I was watching cooking programs where they kept using them so wanted to see and we got mass loads and froze a lot as well but in the end ate them all before winter even. There are a lot recipes using them in summer salads etc. So nice with pepper and salt and lots of butter. And they don't have that bitter taste either because you have picked them fresh and young.

I'm planning on growing more this year, put some in end of Autumn then will put some more in soon, after the whiteout!!

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2011 at 3:28pm
Aw, Wriggles! Its not sad, if i grew them i would give them to people who would love them. I might give it a go anyway, but i'd had then up to the eyebrows at work last year, they were on the menu and i must have peeled thousands of the suckers. I hope my little darlings are surviving the storm.
blessedmama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2011 at 6:47pm
I'm wondering what all this snow will have done to my recent planting too Bowie! I wish I'd left it all a bit longer now.

Millemama you make me hungry for broad beans and I'm not really sure whether I like them or not. I might have to grow some to see what I think!
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 5:30pm
Ooh good thread. DH & I have been clearing out our vege garden and making it a bit bigger over the past couple of weekends. Looking forward to getting some plants in the ground. My MIL was suggesting putting root veges in now but waiting a little while longer for anything else, to try an avoid the frosts. I'm looking at planting only things that we will eat so probably onions, potatoes and beetroot in the next week or so. Then later tomatoes, corn, lettuce etc.

I'm not a fan of beans either, but Millemama I think you've convinced me to give broadbeans a try!
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2011 at 9:38pm
I have planted some BROADBEANS! mwahahahaha! I caved and got some actual plants which makes it a bit easier. Also planted some brocolli and replanted my masses of strawberries (wrong time of year tho).

millemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2011 at 2:41pm
Have started a broadbean mania, just make sure you stake each broadbean when they get taller as they get quite heavy and will lean over in the wind and take the tips out of the top when you are happy with the height and they will bush out. I didn't do it the first year and mine were massive and kept having to re-stake them but I grow the really big podded ones called Aquadulce I think.

I am slow to start my seedlings this year, but must get into it soon as I feel as big as a house already. I bought 3 little hothouses on TM and they were great for starting seedlings off in, must get them out of storage and up again. MummyDee, peas are a good one to grow, I just go for the sugarsnap and snow peas, they don't mind a big of cold, mine have been up and running slowly over winter months and now producing peas, yum. I protect my seedlings in the ground with plastic 2ltr bottles with the bottom cut off, keeps the birds, rabbits, frost off.

Post Reply Post Reply