FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFormula

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Babyboyjonas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babyboyjonas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formula
    Posted: 10 August 2011 at 10:12am
Hello, My Baby Jonas had a bit of a rough start to life and had surgery to his intestine just after Birth and was not allowed to feed by mouth for 4 weeks. I was expressing and had a good supply. Once he started breastfeeding my supply dropped and I haven't managed to get it back up since. Even with expressing every two to 3 hours, breastfeeding teas, domperidone and other herbal mixtures which cost me a fortune. Jonas in now 4 month old, I run out of EBM and started him on formula topups. He developed a bad eczema on his back and legs which I got cortisone cream for from the paediatrician. My partners mum told me not that my partner had milk intolerance as a baby. I believe Jonas has the same. He is also a very spitty windy baby with a low weight and I cant risk him loosing any. He does more. He has lots of littl feeds rather than a few big ones.
Does anyone have any other ideas how to get the milk supply back up or does anyone have a baby with milk intolerance and found a formula that worked out well, than I would love to hear from you.

Edited by Babyboyjonas
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 2:05pm
the best way to increase your supply is to feed your baby! there is a whole topic on here about increasing supply. I will see if i can find it for you.

Edited by Bizzy

shellgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shellgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 2:53pm
Not sure if it is the same as milk intolerance, but my boy developed lactose intolerance at 6 weeks after breastfeeding while I was on some strong IV antibiotics for a few days (I did ask if they would have any impact on him and was told no, but once out of hospital I read some things that said the opposite). He didn't get eczema, but was clearly very uncomfortable and you could hear his stomach gurgling all the time.

We were mixed feeding at the time (breast and then EBM or formula top-ups at each feed), I carried on with the breast and EBM but switched to S26 Lactose free formula for the top-ups. It made the world of difference to my wee fellow. At about 5 months I weaned him back onto normal formula top-ups successfully.

I had supply issues from the start(me sick, baby early, very weak suck) and despite a lot of effort and the help of a lactation consultant we never managed to completely wean from the formula top-ups. The advice I was given by the LC was that even with partial breastfeeding they are getting all the good things like immunity etc. that they will get with exclusive breastfeeding.

snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2011 at 9:14pm
Yes, my baby has dairy intolerance he didn't get the rash but he puked up every feed, reflux, windy, unsettled, constipation etc. There is a hypoallergenic, dairy free formula called Neocate which is government funded but you need to get a prescription from a paediatrician to get it. If you can manage the cost I would do what I did and see a paediatrician, they will be able to tell you pretty quickly if it is milk intolerance and sort you out with some Neocate if so, you can't buy it, well you can but it's about $100 for a tiny tin. Most chemists don't stock it for that reason and order it in for clients.

Alternatively you could see how bub went on a soy or lactose free formula as that could be enough? My boy was a changed baby after we sorted out his dairy intolerance. You could try going dairy free in your diet if you want to try and keep breastfeeding and see if that helps
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7
 Post Reply Post Reply