FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMaternal Mental Health

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ScaredyKat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScaredyKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maternal Mental Health
    Posted: 01 February 2012 at 2:33pm
I must say I haven't been overly impressed with them, but a few people I know have RAVED about how good they are. I wonder if I am not just "bad" enough IYKWIM. With my first, I developed anxiety/depressed, and waited THREE months on their waiting list, and while I was waiting was put on citalapram. By the time I actually saw them I was WAY better, so was discharged.

This time I want to be PROACTIVE and try and work on things before they all go wrong. Am 13 weeks pregnant and my gp has referred me so I'm not going to be on any sort of waiting list.

So the triage nurse rings me and asks how I am doing. I explain that at the moment I am fine, but fear later on as I get more pregnant and closer to birth (there is no fear of the unknown, I know how bad it can be!) as well as the newborn stage (the worst for me in terms of sleep deprivation) I will need help and support. She basically said they won't check on me again until after the baby is born, and if there is a problem I should talk to my gp.

WTF.
Sponsored Links

mummytobesep08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2012 at 8:06pm
aw man that sucks! sorry to hear that

Listen have you thought about ringing back? My experience this pregnancy has been when you really gotta be proactive about what YOU need/want, even if this means asking again and again. What would you feel comfy with? I'd think surely at least they'd check in with you in the third trimester, as a bare minimum- but what would you feel supported with?

The people I've seen at MMH this pregnancy have made plans with me about the birth and postnatal period- with meds and just talking over what supports there could be.

Angel babes '07 & '10- <3 <3
Free2BeMe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Free2BeMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2012 at 2:32am
Yeah, that does seem a bit off!!

Just as a side note, I was at my GP today chatting to her about my anti-depressant meds, and she recommended a book for me, just thought I'd throw the name of it in here....

"The depression cure: The six step program to beat depression without drugs" Stephen Ilardi.

All the best with getting the right support, AND/PND are no joke. Experience speaking here as well.

Maybe you will need to kick up a bit of a stink, squeaky wheel and all that... Really not fair though.

I would "guess" it's an 'underfunding' issue. :(

If they continue to be unhelpful, would it be an option to find a counsellor who you can meet with regularly?

Edited by Free2BeMe
 Post Reply Post Reply