FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA lot on the large side, and pregnant!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KatieD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A lot on the large side, and pregnant!
    Posted: 03 February 2012 at 2:27pm
Hi all - my first post on this forum. Wow where do I begin? just found out I am almost 6weeks. Eldest is 8, youngest is 6 and I had two miscarriages in 2008, one of them 2nd trimester. So to be pregnant at this time, is quite scarey. I didnt realise how much I REALLY WANT ANOTHER BABY!!!

But, in the years, have let the ole weight issue slide a fair bit. I am classed as morbidly obese *nice* on those charts you see in the doctors offices. And I have been on BP medication for about 9 years. BP is high, but managed.

I am just so scared. This wasnt planned, but durrrr, if we don't, yanno, then what did we expect??!!

Can i safely lose 30kg?! How about 15? I have been boxing since december last year and I will increase my walking.

To top it all off I was planning on getting a job having already applied for some and waiting on an interview.

Talk about *NOT AT ALL READY* for this, but *SO BLOODY EXCITED!!!*

Oh my word, where to start, I don't know... thanks for listening.

Anyone in the same boat as me on the weight front?
Cheers, Kate.
Sponsored Links

Leelee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leelee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2012 at 3:09pm
I was morbidly obese when I got pregnant with my son(still am). I had just started a weightloss plan at the gym but I was told not to try to lose weight while being pregnant but to try not to put too much on.

I didn't put on any weight in the first 20 weeks but in the last 20 weeks I made up for it, I ended up putting on around 25kgs.

My advice is try to eat as healthy as you can and maybe do some walking and or swimming. I am unsure about the boxing.
Cinderella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinderella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2012 at 2:16pm
I started out at 93 kg when I got pregnant. I am 38 weeks yesterday. I still weight 93 kg. So have not gained any weight. My MW is really happy with this.

I eat lots of regular meals and make sure they are healthy. I don't do alot of exercise but I work 60-70 hours a week (self employed) and do try to make sure I am not sitting all of the time.

It is possible to go through your whole pregnancy and put no weight on. I am not dieting at all just being careful and not over eating or having rubbish.

The negitive is I did end up with gestational diabetes. It worried me at first but I manage it mostly with diet as it is very mild and have one injection over night.

My goal is to get to 70kg. When this one is born I will be about 80kg within the first week I suspect and i am hoping that with breast feeding and the same diet I can quickly get to that point.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Looey85 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Looey85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2012 at 5:36pm
Hiya

I'm almost 37 weeks pregnant and am also classed as morbidly obese. I have so far had a totally normal pregnancy, lost weight in the first trimester (not by trying, just from eating really well for the baby) - I've only gained 2-3 kgs now, and definitely look smaller all over apart from my bump. So I think you will find that you will lose a bit at first even by not trying, and then the rest is just trying to eat healthy and stay active. I wouldn't reccommend actively trying to lose weight though... just eat well, eat enough and stay active.

I had to do an early GTT at 16 weeks which was negative, and then again at 28 weeks (also negative).
KatieD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2012 at 4:58pm
Thanks all. I have checked out the boxing - should be ok to continue, so long as i am not stretching or carrying heavy weights. Healthy eating and walking has begun in earnest. I am feeling really good about it. Still too scared to get my hopes up, I so desperately want this to work this time! I have always had a reasonably good diet - just never bothered to exercise. I am confident I will be more healthier during this pregnancy than I have been in the last few years!
choco69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choco69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2012 at 11:24pm
congrats on your pregnancy - also was considered morbidly obese when I conceived - dr's panicked that I would have all the problems they associate with bigger ladies, but I didn't get any of them - gained 3kg the whole pregnancy (and that was fluid in the last couple of weeks) - then lost 15kg in the 2 weeks post birth - still slowly loosing it - so am now almost 20kgs lighter than when I conceived ... the secret for me was not eating extra, just eating as healthy as I was able and not adding extra food in (ie still eating for 1 not 2) ... best of luck!

KatieD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2012 at 8:45am
Thank you Choco -I am eating mainly veggies and fruit, with some fish and meat - as opposed to the other way round. Not feeling at all hungry inbetween either. I hope to be one of those lucky women who loses weight in pregnancy HAHAHA :-)

I am just dreading the ball ache I get from the GPs when they see you, then calculate your BMI etc etc. Mind you have to say my GP in this country is much kinder than the ones I had in UK.
Kiwi Cat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 7:43pm
Hi Katie

I'm overweight as well and am dreading my midwife appointment this Thursday when no doubt I will have to jump on the scales i've been happily avoiding for the past year or so! I was hoping to loose weight before I conceived, but nature had other plans!

I'm due in early October, so probably the same time as you. I figured that i'll focus on eating three square meals a day and snack on fruit in between, drink lots of water and walk as much as I can as well (the hills in Welly are good for that!). My problem is that i'm hard out craving Perky Nanas at the moment and am super tired when I get home from work, so diet and walks tend to go out the window... A good dose of willpower would come in handy right now!

:)
KatieD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2012 at 10:47pm
Good for you on the exercise thang. Have to say I have been quite bad this last week. I have all day nausea which clears by about 5pm I am not getting any walks done, and struggling to eat. I think when I see the mw on thursday I will see what she suggests. Dont want to take drugs if I have to, but this is the worse MS i have ever experienced in all my pregnancies.

Till last week I have been keeping my walks to flat ground only.

What are perky nanas?? Sound intriguing!
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2012 at 8:03am
If you're doing exercise now ie your boxing, there no reason why you shouldn't continue doing it. I did Zumba for the year before I conceived, took 8 weeks off from 8 weeks & then started it back up & then stopped for a while over Xmas and started it back up although not as vigorously. My body has coped because it's "used' to the exercise.

Definitely keep up the walking, and keep your fluid intake up as well so you don't get dehydrated.

Good luck & cross fingers for another happy 8 months :)
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Indiga269441 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indiga269441 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 6:46pm
I put on 15kg my last pregnancy and most of that was put on in the first trimester because of MS And then in the last trimester a lot of my gain was also fluid retention. 7 weeks after birth I am now 13kg off my pre preg weight I read somewhere that 12 - 18kg is the normal range.

If you can keep active and avoid comfort eating (definitely a lot harder for me during the pandemic) you can definitely lose the weight you accumulated during pregnancy.

The recommended 150 minutes a week of moderate exercise (or 75 minutes of more intense exercise) definitely helps. That's a couple of walks or online cardio / Zumba / HIIT classes a week.

Yoga helped me lose my weight a lot faster.

Yoga burns calories when done the right way.

If you are serious about losing weight and getting fit, you might want to implement a 60-minute power yoga and/or vinyasa flow practice at least five to six days per week.

This yoga weight loss program was easy to follow and worked for me during my pregnancy when I started gaining too much weight.

Each class is easy to follow, but is varied and enjoyable. Dynamic Sequencing means you'll always be challenged regardless of your current level.

If you want to follow my example, think about coupling your practice with a whole foods diet for optimal results.

Good luck!

Mandy
 Post Reply Post Reply