FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked18month old - not interested in books

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
k8harris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k8harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 18month old - not interested in books
    Posted: 17 April 2012 at 8:23pm
My 18 month old DS won't have a bar of books. I try and try to read to him but he just shuts the book or screams and gets away. He use to be really into books, especially Spot but now is just not interested. Any tips? Just a stage?

Sponsored Links

LucyLouLewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LucyLouLewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2012 at 10:17pm
My son really wasn't into books either and I found they needed something extra. Like lift the flaps or moving parts or in-built sounds. He quite liked books where you can pull levers etc. Check out the Tickle Book on Amazon.uk it won't last very long but is a very much loved book.
ScaredyKat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScaredyKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2012 at 7:44am
My son wasn't that in to books when he was that age, had the attention span of a knat He is now 2 and 2 months, and cannot get enough of them! Wants them read during the day, before bed, any time! So don't stress too much, might just be a phase and will probably pass.
RubySoho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RubySoho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2012 at 8:13pm
There's nothing I hate more than writing a big response adn then hitting the "New Topic" button instead of "reply" and then you lose everything!!

In short, this book was (and still is) great for us. There's no story, it's just animals. You can talk about the animal, its name, what its babies are called, where it lives, its colour, the sounds it makes. As he learns the names you can ask him to point out a particular animal.

With Felix at a random stage in the book I'll spice things up a bit. He might point at the lion so I say "that's a lion, the lion says RAAAWWR" and let a big roar out and attack him with tickles. Or he points at a dog and I say "dogs like to sniff" and stick my nose in his ear and give a couple of big sniffs. Anything to make it fun, and especially for boys, if you can make it physical it's even better as they find it harder to sit still. Show him how a pig rolls in the mud, or how a monkey walks etc.

Now I have the opposite problem where Felix just wants to read non-stop! Check out the Book Depository in the link above, their prices are amazing and they do free shipping. I try and buy one book a week on pay day so we're slowly building up a great collection. Usually I spend less than $10 which I think is great compared to shops here. Good Luck!!
 Post Reply Post Reply