FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked16 month old problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PipDais View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PipDais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16 month old problems
    Posted: 24 July 2012 at 10:11am
About 3 weeks ago my DD woke from a daytime nap screaming. The next day we discovered a new tooth. Over the next week we spotted 2 more teeth so she now has 7 teeth in total (all at front). She got her first tooth at 9 months and weekly after that until the front 4 were out but then nothing until now. No tears from the first 4 teeth either.

Since this episode she has refused to have daytime naps (unless she falls asleep on me in the afternoons from being exhausted) and won't go to sleep in the evenings without being rocked to sleep. We never had issues with her self settling and up until this she would happily sleep for 4 hours daytime and from 7pm to 7am without any tears (since about 8 months).

We've not changed anything in her routine (dinner, bath, bottle & In The Night Garden!) which used to be a signal for calming down in the evenings but she just screams the minute we put her in her cot - day or night.

I don't like the idea of her crying herself to sleep (it goes against my natural instinct). I'm also 25 weeks pregnant so it's back breaking. She isn't walking yet either so I pick her up a lot during the day.

My biggest concern is that she will learn that crying gets her own way and that she won't self-settle anymore. We've never had issues with tantrums either....is this the beginning of the end?!!! I want my little girl back!

Any ideas on what to do? Anyone else having similar problems?

Sponsored Links

Hadlam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hadlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2012 at 2:54pm
That must be hard, I havn't been through this but didn't wanna read and run. Have you tried to maybe sitting with her in her room until she falls asleep so she knows you're there and she knows she is safe but that she is not getting used to being rocked and shes not getting her own way.

Good Luck :D
lisame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2012 at 3:20pm
how long has it been going on? is it just the three weeks? Is she with anyone else (day care or grandparents) and if so is it the same there or not?

I think sometimes I get too stressed about something that's happening when really, it's only a phase and before you know it, things have changed again.

If she is teething, then the next ones to come might be the eye teeth, which are quite painful. Have you tried giving a little bit of pamol or something a little while before bed?

How does she sleep once she has gone to sleep? Like Hadlam said - is it possible to wean her off the rocking in little steps?

Has she seen her GP - definitely nothing like an ear infection or anything?
PipDais View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PipDais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 3:10pm
Thanks for the replies.

We used to be able to put her in bed and then leave the room and close the door without any tears - she'd put her head down and go straight to sleep. Up until 3 weeks ago when she woke during the day and we've not had the same child since! She's clearly tired but the minute we walk into her room to put her in her cot she'll start screaming. It gets worse if we actually put her in her cot. She has hyper mobility so I wondered if she was going through a growth spurt recently (which can apparently cause growing pains). She's recently learnt how to confidently stand up so refuses to lie down once she's in her cot too - making it much harder to convince her it's bedtime!

Last night it took 2 3/4 hours to settle her to sleep on my husband's shoulder and then she woke again at midnight. He managed to get her back to sleep within half an hour but then she woke again at 4am and didn't go back to sleep - we've all been awake since 4! She slept in the car for 20 minutes this morning but has been awake since. She's clearly tired today but is refusing to settle - in bed or on me. Last night was the first time she's not slept through the night (since she was about 8 months old) - I'd forgotten how hard it was waking in the night - all good practice I guess!

Last night we gave her some calpol as we suspect that it's teething causing it but it didn't help. I've also bought some bonjela today but so far I've been able to rub it on once but the minute she smells my finger now she'll clench her lips shut!

I appreciate that I sound like I'm stressing ( ) but it's really just concern that the routine that we have used for so long now which has been brilliant for us all (including her) is now completely out of the window and she's getting used to falling asleep on shoulders or downstairs with us - it's like having a newborn again!

Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2012 at 7:40pm
Could you try putting her to bed during the day somewhere else? Have you got a single bed you could use? My DD used to sleep on the single bed in her room sometimes instead of in her cot for day sleeps.

Also, this sounds like a silly question but have you had her ears checked? Ears always feel worse when you are lying down, especially if there is fluid behind the ear drum. Sore teeth can also make ears feel sore so maybe you could try some pamol half an hour before bed so you know for certain she's not in pain when you put her down for a sleep.

If you put her to bed and she cries you could try sitting in the room with her till she falls asleep. That worked sometimes with my DD - I didn't look at or talk to her just sat there and sometimes just that seemed to comfort her and she would (eventually) fall asleep.
lisame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2012 at 9:06am
yeah that's why I asked about an ear infection too. Has she been to the GP?

Don't feel silly for stressing. I know what it's like when you've had a fantastic routine and then things go all wrong and you feel like you're going backwards and you'll never get back to where you were.

What you said about her just learning to stand - that could be a trigger too. Does she ever sleep in a sleeping bag or anything? We always use one, but still had problems when M started standing in bed - they learn to do something new, and then just want to do it all the time, even though they are tired and need to go to sleep, they just stand up (sit up, whatever it is) in bed. she was also undoing her sleeping bag (domes or zip). so ended up using one with a zip and safety-pinning the zip closed so she couldn't take it off ;-) Makes it that much harder to romp around in bed and eventually she'd get bored and would go to sleep.

It does sound like she's developed a real aversion to her cot for some reason - maybe because she's been bored, or left to cry there? Can you try putting her to bed somewhere else & then gradually get back in the cot? Is there something you could put in the cot with her so that she could just have some fun time in there without getting upset? Toys or books? Even if she just goes in her cot for a bit of quiet time and doesn't sleep - just to get her used to being happy in the cot again.
PipDais View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PipDais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2012 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by lisame lisame wrote:

yeah that's why I asked about an ear infection too. Has she been to the GP?

Does she ever sleep in a sleeping bag or anything?

It does sound like she's developed a real aversion to her cot for some reason - maybe because she's been bored, or left to cry there? Can you try putting her to bed somewhere else & then gradually get back in the cot? Is there something you could put in the cot with her so that she could just have some fun time in there without getting upset? Toys or books? Even if she just goes in her cot for a bit of quiet time and doesn't sleep - just to get her used to being happy in the cot again.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. We were at the doc this morning so I asked if her ears could be checked and they were both fine. I'm pleased I asked just to put my mind at rest and know it wasn't that.

I'm certain that it's teething now. We've been giving her calpol (child paracetamol from the uk that came with us) in the evenings but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I also got some bonjella yesterday but unsurprisingly she doesn't like it...then again, neither do I!

I think you're right about the cot aversion too. I wish that it was simple enough for her to have happy time in there but the minute we put her in there (sitting, lying down or standing) she starts screaming so we always end up getting her out again. We've also always used a sleeping bag for bedtime but she can still stand in them. She's always had her blankies in bed with her and used to play with them but since learning to stand she ignores them.

I'm still hoping it's a phase and we'll get back to normal soon but having found a thread somewhere else about canine teeth coming through and that it can last for 5 months I'm preparing myself for some sleepless nights!

Thanks again for the suggestions...I'll give them a go and let you know if they work. Fingers croosed!

lisame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 12:43pm
I hope it is just her incisors, and that they break through soon...

About the cot thing; have you tried borrowing or buying a special new toy for her, or a picture book or something, and telling her that it's JUST for her cot?

We've made a photo book out of plastic sleeves, really simple and you can change the photos, with photos of family members and pets and things.

Just to see if she can start to enjoy being in her cot again.
SophieD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SophieD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2012 at 1:46pm
another idea that worked for us was to get rid of the cot and put DD on the floor. Lol sounds extreme but if you google 'Montosorri floor bed' alot of info will come up.

To this day I have no idea why our DD started refusing to sleep in her cot but at 12 months we had a similar reaction to you, screaming and crying whenever we tried to put her in the cot and waking at night and screaming to be lifted out of the cot. We tried sitting in her room with her while she screamed but it never seemed to work and she would calm down as soon as we got her out, so I googled some alternatives and came up with the floor bed.

One sunday afternoon, we figured we would try it as it couldn't get much worse so we rearranged her room so that it was completely baby proof and put her cot mattress on the floor to trial it. I figured it would take a few weeks to work maybe, but that night she went to bed without much trouble. We would lie next to her on the floor for a few minutes until she drifted off initially and then progressed to where we would say goodnight and shut the door. A couple of times she would get up to play with her books or toys but everytime she would crawl back to her bed to go to sleep usually within 10 mins or so.

Anyway, just another idea if you are still struggling with her in the cot. I'm sure the floor bed wouldn't work for everyone but it worked for us :-)
CJsays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJsays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2012 at 9:23pm
How is she going?
E has been through a few sleeping phases, nothing as bad as this, but i suspect this one will come right in time (hopefully not too long) and dont worry about the rocking to sleep etc, she will not need this forever! just needs some extra love now! but it must be hard being pregnant too for you, and esp because you need your rest now as well!
Hugs.
PipDais View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PipDais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2012 at 10:50am
Thanks for the message CJsays. She's still pretty much the same. I've been really lucky up to now as my husband has been home in the evenings to take over the bedtime routine - I'm on my own this week so gonna have to take her on all by myself! He has been told to not be surprised if he comes in and finds her asleep in bed with me! I'm breaking pretty much EVERY child sleep expert's advice going but I'll do anything for an easy life!

Thanks for the message SophieD - taking the mattress out is something that I've thought about but I'm just not sure that she's ready for it....she's the sort of child that'll crawl to the door and start banging and shouting to be let out in the morning so at least if she wakes in her cot in the morning (or night) she's still safe without me opening the door and knocking her out! Defo something that I'll keep in mind for a bit later though. Thanks for the recommendation.

In desperation last week I've booked a place at a creche for her - to exhaust her during the day so she WANTS to go to bed in the evening!!! As a sahm I didn't want to book her into a creche but I really do feel like she needs the interaction with lots of kiddies (rather than the few we see each week at playgroup) and I need some time too.

It's still so hard to explain what's going on. IF she goes straight in to her cot she'll scream (even if she's tired) so we'll rock or cuddle her to sleep in a darkened room on shoulders but she'll sleep through now (which is better than we had a week or so ago). She still won't sleep during the day unless she's on me (or in the car) - but it's also quite nice to have an hour of quiet to just play on the laptop whilst sitting down. We've also moved bedtime to an hour later which seems to have helped (even if she doesn't nap during the day or has just the hour).

It's not ideal but I think we've adjusted to the new routine that she's set for herself. I'm still hoping that she'll want to go to bed after creche though...!

Also - no sign of any new teeth so who knows what caused it!

BikeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BikeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 1:43pm
This sounds alot like what we are going through with our DD who is 15months and was also a good sleeper and a routine baby. I am also pretty sure its teething. We had a lot of trouble when her molers came through, as soon as they were through she went back to sleeping through the night and was back in routine. We are now battling with her canine teeth coming through and its hard. She is so tired but wont sleep! I have been told that teeth also hurt more when they lie down? I guess as well when they are going to sleep there is nothing to distract them from the pain. Maybe she has subconsiously (spelling) made the link but with the cot and pain?

I am just trying to figure out what is best for us to do too ... do I keep her in her routine as best we can or do we just go with the flow? She has always been so much happier when she is in routine so I think that but then I think she needs any sleep she can get!?

Its a tricky one eh!

BikeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BikeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2012 at 1:46pm
oh and also ... you wont want to hear this but DD took FOUR MONTHS to get her first 4 molers and for AGES nothing was showing and I had no idea what was up! They all popped through finally in the last month
SmallChap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmallChap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 9:48am
We went through a similar thing a couple of months ago when DS was 14mths. DS was always a good sleeper. Would get himself to sleep within minutes of putting him down, and would sleep 7-7. Then he started waking up at 2am, and would cry everytime we left his room. We resisted the urge to put him in bed with us, but after a week of being up for 3-4hrs comforting him, we relented and put him in our bed. All he wanted was comfort and he went straight to sleep. The poor wee boy had all 4 molars and all 4 canine teeth coming through at once. Calpol didn't do anything, he just wanted comfort from us. I thought we would never have him sleeping like he use to again and thought we had started the dreaded habit that would have him sleeping in our bed until he was 8(!), but after 6 long weeks of unsettled nights, all his teeth had finally broken through and he went back to sleeping in his bed, and sleeping 7-7.

So, don't worry, it is just a phase, and it will end, and I'm sure she will go back to sleeping like she use to.
Kristina103761 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristina103761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2013 at 12:10am
It's very common for our little ones to change on us suddenly and become something we didn't see coming!!! It takes a while to adjust when we had banked on having a good, sleeping child. It may be as "smallchap" said and she will go back to her usual routine eventually once painful teeth have come through, or it may be that she develops a new routine based on the comfort you've had to give her to settle.

I always suggest that parents give the comfort and security a child needs when she's in pain or if she is remembering something painful. But there comes a time when that episode is over and parents have to retrain their child that it's ok to be in bed and sleep is a good thing and that mummy and daddy are not far away etc. Once the teething time has settled if she hasn't returned to her routine, I would suggest retraining her to sleep in her bed while at the same time, providing her with the security and reassurance she needs emotionally.
PipDais View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PipDais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 2:24pm
I wanted to thank you all for your suggestions and update you! DD started having sleep issues at 16 months and is now almost 24 months.

We STILL don't have any canines! As I was heavily pregnant throughout this saga my DH took over 'bedtime'. What used to be so easy turned into a long and horrible part of our day that we used to dread. He used to get home from work and spend hours in her bedroom getting her to sleep. We set up a bed on the floor next to her cot and found that all she wanted was to know that HE was there (more often than not he would fall asleep too). If I tried to put her to bed we'd have the screaming and this continued until only recently. It lasted about 3 months until she started self settling again but by this point she'd gotten so used to DH putting her to bed that it took time for her to want me again - heartbreaking for me obviously. On a good note by the 3 months we had also had a baby so we were over the last of it - fingers crossed!

We've never got back our daytime naps. She just won't go in her cot during the day - no negotiations! There are times that we've had busy days and she'll fall asleep on the sofa in the afternoon but it's rare. She gets to about 4pm and clearly needs to nap but fights it. We've got to the point where I'll just go with the flow - we don't have a routine for the day and our bedtime routine was tweaked somewhat. We now start getting ready for bed at 7pm instead of 6:30 and we read books instead of having In The Night Garden on - other than that it's exactly the same - bottle, book, brush teeth, book and bed.

Post Reply Post Reply