FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked13month old fussy eater

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kimi_mama_bear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimi_mama_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 13month old fussy eater
    Posted: 31 July 2012 at 10:07am
hi everyone my 13 month old is turning into a bit of a nightmare at meal times and i need some advice. my son is a very good eater if his food is a puree which is suitable for a 4 month old to a 6 month old but anything with chewable chunks he flat out refuses to eat and screams until a mash it finer he also hates finger food except toast fingers and crackers, any tips or advice to make chunkier food and finger food more appealing to him? and some days he eats like a little machine then the following day he barely eats anything and only seems to wat to eat plain crackers, he also HATES fruit, i've tried to get him to eat it but he just flat out refuses.
Sponsored Links

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2012 at 11:27am
Give him a plate of whatever u are having for dinner and sit together and eat as a family.
Dont worry about him eating more some days and less others days,...we all do that,..its really normal for kids to do that!
Aroha11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aroha11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2012 at 12:58pm
Hi - we had/have the same or similar issue, I made savory scones and bread with veges in to boost the vege content. Started eating with him BUT gave him the pureed food and then after a while (and I am sure a whole lot of other things) he started pointing to my food so gave him some and he ate it! I tried lots of things and some worked here they are:

Eating in front of the TV and shoving in small (pea sized) bits of food and he chewed them.

Eating when watching something on the laptop same deal as above. The specialty was 'the duck song 1,2 and 3'

Giving him a ball which he would throw around and when I returned it to him (yep like a little dog/slave) he would have a piece of food as well.

Gave him heaps of options, it worked found out he likes broccoli.

Then I stopped stressing about it and decided I didn't care anymore (or less than I use to) and like a little miracle he started eating and (touch wood) has been improving out of sight.

Just hang in there if he eats the pureed food don't worry about it keep giving it to him, maybe use it as a dip with bread.

Also what helped us was eating with other kids!

Good luck
Danda08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danda08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2012 at 7:11pm
My two also stopped eating well at that age and TBH still don't. I have tried EVERYTHING!

I've also had success with distracting them with tv and popping food in their mouths, likewise at lunchtime I often just let them keep playing and follow them round doing my mother bird impression - popping pieces of sandwich in their mouths.

And my two still eat pureed vege. The alternative is no vege so pureee it is.
PipDais View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PipDais Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2012 at 11:00am
We had a similar thing with our daughter. My husband didn't help matters though because he used to panic (still does) when she ate anything with lumps or if she shoved a big bit in her mouth!

We ended up pureeing food for a while and when she found the odd pea, bit of sweetcorn or carrot she would spit it out - we had this for months. She's 16 months now and only now is eating the same food as us. I'd say that started about a month ago and it was HER to started it. Up until then she'd eat pureed food with the odd bit of finger food (toast or crackers mostly).

We also found that the minute she saw her little plastic bowl and weaning spoon that she'd throw a paddy and refuse to eat so we had to take away the bowl and give her a metal spoon like us which seems to have helped.

We started with omelette, frittata type foods and then moved on to shepherds pie and spag bol. The other thing that we had was that she'd refuse to eat in her highchair and would only eat if she was standing up eating the food off my plate! Not a good way to encourage eating behaviour but at least she was eating at caused me less stress. Thankfully this didn't last too long. She's happier putting food in her mouth herself though rather than being fed from a spoon when she's in her highchair.

Play around with different things and you'll find something that works for you both. I found the whole saga sooooooooo stressful (I ended up in tears on many occasions!) but it's really important to remember that most children go through this 'phase'. EVERYTHING is a phase with children....keep telling yourself that!

Post Reply Post Reply