FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWeight loss in early pregnancy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lewlew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weight loss in early pregnancy
    Posted: 09 August 2012 at 2:08pm
Hi all you 'experts' out there :-D
I'm a first timer so have know idea what to expect or what's normal outside of the common list of symptoms.
I'm nearly at 5 weeks and have lost over 2 kgs in the last 10 days (1kg of that in the last two days alone...)
I normally sit around 68kg but am fast approaching 65 now.
I haven't really been experiencing morning sickness yet and my eating habits haven't changed much. I'm certainly a good eater so it doesn't really add up!! Is this normal? How much more can I expect to loose before I start to gain?
Sponsored Links

Séraphine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Séraphine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 7:17pm
I'm not an expert, I'm definately a gainer.
I've only heard of people loosing weight if they've had severe morning sickness.
In saying that, are you more aware of what you're eating now your UTD? Could it be that slight change in diet that could've caused weight loss?
I wouldn't be too concerned this early on, but if it continues I'd speak to your MW about it.
On average, baby + fluid, placenta, extra blood flow plus all the other goodies = 7-10kgs weight gain. Everything else is apparently just extra

Try out this calculator for an idea of expected weight gain: http://www.kidspot.co.nz/weightgain/pregnancyweightgain.asp
Lewlew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2012 at 8:06am
No morning sickness yet! hoping I'm a lucky one fingers x'd!   
Thanks for the website addy ..... bit of fun and nice to have a guideline to know if it's baby or just greedy bulk lol.

Edited by Lewlew
emma_3335 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emma_3335 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 7:56pm
I have also lost weight, was around 59kgs and now still sitting 56-57kgs, this last week have just gone up slightly. I have had some MS and been eating fruit a lot (craving fruit!!) which i never used to do, and also the no drinking may have helped as i did enjoy a few drinks

DeenaMathew149513 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeenaMathew149513 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2014 at 11:02pm
I had lost weight was 70 and reduce to 64. The doctors have given me some medication to help soothe the nausea and they're watching my weight loss. I had read an article about pregnancy weight loss be good this is good information for pregnant ladies.

http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20070614/can-pregnancy-loss-be-good
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2014 at 9:27am
I've heard (and am pretty sure it's mostly right), that weight gained in the first trimester is pretty much all fat. The baby weight-gain is very rapid in the last trimester! As long as you are healthy, drinking lots of water, and have a balanced diet I wouldn't worry :) 12 kgs is fairly normal as a total weigh-gain, but half of this happens in last tri!

Me: 35, PCOS, endo, DH: 34, severe MFI
6+ yrs TTC#2
M/C 2012, clomid 2013, IVM 2014, IVF 2015, M/C 2015
2016 FET#1- BFP - MMC - Emergency D&C
FET#2 - BFN
Jul 16 - stage 3 endo removed.
Oct 16 BFP
Modigliani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Modigliani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2014 at 9:53pm
I think I lost 3-4kg in the first three months, but have put it back on, and then some...no...a LOT since. I'm already up 12kg from then, and still have a trimester to go! Eeeeep.
Mandy269454 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mandy269454 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 8:11pm
I put on 15kg my last pregnancy and most of that was put on in the first trimester because of MS And then in the last trimester a lot of my gain was also fluid retention. 7 weeks after birth I am now 13kg off my pre preg weight I read somewhere that 12 - 18kg is the normal range.

If you can keep active and avoid comfort eating (definitely harder for me during the pandemic) you can definitely lose the weight you accumulated during pregnancy.

The recommended 150 minutes a week of moderate exercise (or 75 minutes of more intense exercise) definitely helps. That's a couple of walks or online cardio / Zumba / HIIT classes a week.

Yoga helped me lose my weight a lot faster.

Yoga burns calories when done the right way.

If you are serious about losing weight and getting fit, you might want to implement a 60-minute power yoga and/or vinyasa flow practice at least five to six days per week.

This yoga weight loss program was easy to follow and worked for me during my pregnancy when I started gaining too much weight.

Each class is easy to follow, but is varied and enjoyable. Dynamic Sequencing means you'll always be challenged regardless of your current level.

If you want to follow my example, think about coupling your practice with a whole foods diet for optimal results.

Good luck babe, I'm rooting for you!

Mandy
 Post Reply Post Reply