FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked"healthy snack foods"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sarah Beth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah Beth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "healthy snack foods"
    Posted: 22 January 2007 at 4:16pm
My mum just sent this to me which although most probably know this stuff found it to be interesting reading (particurlary the tiny teddy part!)

Some 'healthy snack' foods are actually laden with trans fatty acids.
SYDNEY - Several of Australia's favourite food brands have been "outed" by the independent consumer watchdog for making children fat.
Despite often being enticingly tagged as "all natural", "low GI", and "real fruit", a single serving of some of the snack foods analysed by Choice pack as much of a kilojoule punch as a Big Mac and a middy of beer.
Arnott's, Uncle Tobys, Nestle and Ribena are among those named and shamed in a report released today, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
The report analyses 10 market-leading snack food and drinks targeted at children.
Nestle's Milo cereal, which trumpets its energy-building qualities, contains as much sugar and even more fat than the much maligned Kellogg's Coco Pops.
A single 27-gram Arnott's Tiny Teddy biscuit had the dubious honour of packing the most kilojoules into the least amount of food.
Ribena, promoted as a healthy children's drink, contains only five per cent blackcurrant -- the rest is sugar and water.
Go Natural's berry pieces in yoghurt could be found in the health food section of a major supermarket but is laden with trans fatty acids.
Choice spokeswoman Indira Naidoo blamed advertising and labelling for misleading parents into thinking they were buying healthy food for their kids.
"Part of these foods popularity is due to misleading claims made, leading parents to believe they are not as unhealthy as they really are," she said.
"But even a small serve can be as dense in kilojoules as a small meal."
Nestle spokesman Peter Kelly said Choice was confusing consumers and making an unhelpful contribution to the healthy diet debate.
A spokeswoman for Arnott's said the company was already planning to withdraw the Tiny Teddy biscuits due to poor sales.
- AAP
Sponsored Links

caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 4:52pm
Very interesting reading. Thanks Sarah Beth!
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

miss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 5:06pm
One of the worst breakfast cereals for kids to eat is that nutragrain. Becasue it is touted as a cereal for energy - 'ironman', parents assume that means it will get their kids through a busy day at school. All it does is make them bounc off walls!

As for cookie time cookies, in many kids lunch boxes and on sale at many school tuck shops, I can't remember the amount of teaspoons of sugar in one but it horrified me more than the coke stats!
jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 5:11pm
Is it bad that I went "Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww ! *pout*" when I read about them withdrawing Tiny Teddy bikkies?
Jacquie - Mama to Erin, 13.07.06 - Chief Cat Chaser & Marmite Sammie Eater

Love many, trust few, harm none. ~Anon~
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 10:31pm
I LOVE tiny teddies! gutted!!! Jake hates them, actually, i have a weird child, he chooses, I kid you not, rice crackers and corn thins over "normal" biscuits!
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
 Post Reply Post Reply