FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSleep for 1yo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sleep for 1yo
    Posted: 05 March 2007 at 8:50pm
A couple of months ago, Briona was having a 2 hour sleep in the morning and 1 hour sleep in the afternoon. It seemed to work well for her, for a little while over January I thought she might not need that much sleep so I delayed her before the morning sleep to see how she would do - fights, clumsiness, walking into things etc convinced me to keep it up. Her behaviour falls right off the scale when she's been awake for 1 1/2 hours.

But... lately she's been going to bed and playing. Moving around the room, playing with her doll etc (there's not much stimulation in there, even the drawers are out cause she used to spend her sleep time emptying them onto the floor argghhh!) So she rests but she never sleeps! And now instead of just going to bed around 9-11 and 1-2, she's also needing to go to bed about 4pm because she's just not coping... and then still doesn't sleep (I get her out at 5pm for dinner).

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2007 at 10:15am
ooooh i now that routine so well, lol.
Daycare was noticing it was hard to get Ayja to sleep, so we started holding her out and not giving the morning sleep.. she could still have her bottle or milk drink at 10-ish when she usually would have gone down - it gave her a bit of quiet rest time while she drunk it, but we only gave her about 50 mls, as usually about 11.15 i would give her an early lunch, and put her to bed at 11.30 - meant that she got a big sleep in the afternoon for a couple of hours. It takes a bit for them to adjust, and yep we notice that when Ayja's getting tired the fights and mischief can get very unbearable, so for a week or so i was glad that daycare was mostly handling this transition, but she is now great, has 1 sleep a day, but it's good sleep, for usually 2 hours or 3 or more if shes really tired. plus over the last few months the time has become more flexible and she goes to bed at about 12 now, it means she co-incides with paris's sleep time when at home too now meaning.. ahhhh, peace. lol.

Edited by mum2paris
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2007 at 10:24am
he he, forgot to say that by the time she got to bed Ayja was then far too tired to muck around, she now closes her eyes and snuggles down before i have left the room most of the time.

good luck
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

LockieandLiam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LockieandLiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2007 at 4:01pm
I must say I am going through a bit of a stage with Lachlan at the moment too. He copes really well when he want go down for his afternoon sleep and when its time for bed at night he is out like a light - but man it's a long time for him to be up when he wakes at 11.30ish and not going to bed until 7.30pm.

I'm thinking hell he's not 1 yet and he's trying to drop a sleep. His morning sleep is about and hour and a half. I tried this morning to drag him out but he was tired so put him to bed. Put him down at 3.30pm this afternoon and he's asleep - go figure. He's not going to get long though as I will have to wake him up so he goes down at bedtime.

I so can relate to you busymum although I only have one to worry about not three!!

Sorry don't really have any suggestions still trying to work it out myself.

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2007 at 4:26pm
I haven't worked it all out yet but I am trying to stretch out the morning sleep and she seems to then sleep better. Every second day she goes back to the old routine, so I'm not quite sure if she's ready but we'll see.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LockieandLiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2007 at 5:17pm
I hear what you are saying as that is what it has been like for us this week. Every second day he has had his two naps. Although I must say he lasts really well and isn't grizzly with it when he misses his arvo sleep, think it is more frustrating for the mummy.

I wonder if it's this weather as another friend of mine is experiencing the same with her wee girl (same age as Lockie), strange how they starting doing it around the same time. Wishful thinking on my behalf!!

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2007 at 7:37pm
One of my friends wondered if it was heat and/or overtiredness? Why don't they write a manual for childcare lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LockieandLiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2007 at 8:30am
Well yesterday got two 1 1/2 sleeps out of my boy. I wonder what today will hold. It certainly helped matters as I had a birthday cake to prepare!!!

meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2007 at 8:39am
Ella started having 1 sleep a day at around 13 months.. I so wasn't ready! But we all know how Ella and sleep don't mix well lol

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2007 at 9:20am
I must say this has taken me by surprise too Kat, but I think that's because Hannah was 2 before she dropped her morning sleep. She still sleeps once a day for an hour and a half or so.
Spudling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 4:25pm
Cailin has only had one day sleep since she was 12 months and now at 21 months I am finding it hard to get her to sleep at all during the day. I put her down at 12.30-1 and she is usually still awake at 2.30-3. Then cos it is such a late sleep, at night time she's not ready for sleeping at 7.30 and is often awake until 9.30-10.
I can't believe I might have to drop her day sleeps already, baby No2 is only 6 weeks away and was really hoping for a few hours in the afternoon with no toddler.
Oh well, what will be will be huh!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LockieandLiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 5:35pm
Okay advice dear ladies .................

I still put Lockie in his safety sleep but I am finding that as he is fighting his sleeps at the moment he gets wound up and rolls in it and onto his tummy which obviously frustrates him as he can't seem to roll back the other way. So do I:

a) wean him off the safety sleep and then see if he goes to sleep on his own accord;

b) drop a sleep (which I don't think I want to do right now), and put him down later;

c) just keep trying for those 2 sleeps and see how things go for a bit longer.

I'm getting a little frustrated at the moment as I'm not getting anything down around the house and its a pig sty.

Post Reply Post Reply