FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedJust a wee moan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just a wee moan
    Posted: 15 March 2007 at 4:28pm
I'll come straight to the point; I think I'm being discriminated against at work. Ever since I applied for my maternity leave and gave my boss the letter stating when I wanted to finish up, and my med cert his attitude towards me has been awful. The difference in how he treats me to the way he treats the others in the office is huge.

Eg: I applied to have one day off in the holidays so I could spend the day with Conor, and he declined it. Yet everyone else who has applied for leave got it. When I asked him why he said that so and so had the time off, well I do the payroll and there's no applications for leave for that day.

He ignores me and has come up to me twice and said "why do you have to have this baby? Why can't you stay?" I've always ignored those comments.

I've been close to tears alot today and I could resign tomorrow if I could, but I keep telling myself 5 months to go, I need this maternity leave, and I just have the feeling that he's going to try and push me out by treating me unfairly.

I can't go to anyone in the company about this because it's a family owned company and the upper management are his brothers. The office manager is so far up his butt that she wouldn't do anything.

I'm ready to throw in the white towel and walk away; which would be giving him what he wants. Ok that felt good-ish.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Sponsored Links

Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2007 at 4:58pm
Far out Mel - that's a stink situation.  All I can think of it going to a union or some other advocate - but I'd be too chicken about that one because it might make things even worse!  No ideas here, sorry - I'll just say that that sux for ya and I hope he sorts his attitude out (and gives you the leave you want too... crikey that's rude!  Tempted to be 'sick' that day?!?). 
Andie
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2007 at 5:21pm
oh my gosh! what a A******!!! i hope he sorts his crap out soon!!
Maybe you could say something to him about his poor behaviour? i know i would but im a big mouth
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2007 at 5:24pm
Hi Mel, I feel for you in your situation.

I have a brochure on this and I have looked up the comments made to you by your employer and I believe this would fall under discrimination. There is a contact number 0800 4 YOUR RIGHTS (0800 496 877)that you can and seek information from.

I hope you can get this sorted, companies should not get away with things like that!
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2007 at 5:25pm
I'd get advice from the Department of Labour and just find out what they would suggest you do in this situation because you shouldn't have to put up with that crap and it's against the law to discriminate you because you are preggers. At least they might have some ideas on how to deal with it.
linda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2007 at 7:29pm
Why not just be sick on the day???
miss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 7:38am
I would say that if you were to take the day now as a sick day and they remembered the leave thing, they would demand a med cert and would rightfully be able to do that.

You would be far better off persuing it through the numbers given above - and I know that it probably is the last thing you want to do, but it might help in the long run.

I would be so offended that my boss had suggested that I get rid of my baby - that is effectively what he is doing by asking if you have to have it. I would definitely make that part of any complaint.

Hugs mel, that really sucks they are being so unsupportive.
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 8:54am
thats what happened to me when i was working while pregnant with haleigh.
i told my boss as soon as i found out because the job had me scrubbing concrete floors adn using dangerous chemicals and lifting heavy things alot and so she cut my hours down to basically 2 - 3 days a week form getting 40hrs was a huge shock.
they also had a staff party and didnt even bother to tell me or invite me when I heard about it afterwards they said well your pregnant so we never thought you'd be interested, so I jsut told her when I was 5motnhs that I would be leaving by 6months which she hated even more.
I did nothing about it but wish I did, so maybe you could talk to the labour people and see if you can sort soemthing out,
and well if someone basically said to me to get rid of my baby I would prob snap.

I hope you sort things out soon.
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 3:10pm
Well after I'd posted this I had a wee breakdown, I think it was a relief to actually get it down in writing and out there. My poor husband came home to a blithering mess (I hadn't let on to him how miserable I was) I managed to splutter my way through what had been happening and he was slightly (understatement) disturbed about what has been happening, and told me straight away to resign.. which sounded really good for all of 10 seconds. Hubbie has offered to come to a meeting if I'm willing to set one up with the boss/owner.

I went into to work today and he wasn't there, so I sat at my desk and did what I had to do, talked when I was spoken to and left at 2.30. Which I'd be quite happy to do for the next 5months all going well.

I really don't know what to do, I can't really take that day off sick, because he'll know that I've done it intentionally, and will cause me more grief the next day. It's really difficult and I don't want to go to the place that I was at last night as it was like he'd broken my soul and I wasn't going to come out of it...I will get some advice from D.O.L.

Anywho, will keep you posted, and thanks again, it really did feel good to get it all out..and have you girls give me feedback... most appreciated!
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

LockieandLiam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LockieandLiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 3:48pm
Department of Labour are pretty good to deal with. I've had to deal with them just recently. You can also get information off their website. Unfortunately my dilemma hasn't yet been resolved and looks as if its off to mediation, unless he manages to get out of it. Mmmm money that we just can't afford right now but I'm not going to let my boss win on this occassion as he is so in the wrong. I'm going to stick it out!!

MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2007 at 5:08pm
you are able to get it all sorted for free.
citizens advice berau can do it all for free i found out from winz.
they are apparently really good with helping you to.
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2007 at 4:02pm

I had a boss (well team mananger) that was great with me when I told them I was pregnant and then later on when I got sick and had to cut my hours and have my feet up on a chair because of the swelling. There was another TM that was on the same level as me (yes he was a guy) who didn't understand why I had to have my feet up and get up off the phone every hour to take a walk (I worked in a call centre) and more or less tore me to pieces in front of the rest of the staff. After I had calmed down and he had been told of I did my nut at him telling him that he had no right to tell me what I can and can't do as I am not in his team. Told him that if I wanted to I was well in my right to go to the DOL about him and he would be up the creek without a paddle so to say as I had the medical certs and everything. Scared the $hit out of him and he has since (I left to place after having Andrew) not said anything like that to a pregnant woman there. The big boss up there tried to tell me that when I was cutting my hours from 8 hours a day down to 6 that I should go down to 4 hours (more or less trying to do things her way) and got her PA to do the dirty work for her and try and tell me this. I told her PA (who I got on with quite well) that no she could not make me go down to 4 6 was enough and if she wanted to push the situation then I would be talking to the DOL. Lets just say the PA told me that I was well in my rights to do that and that she would be telling the boss that 6 hours was the way to go.

In my situation mentioning the DOL really worked (but it was a big company I worked for). Def talk with them and if it continues take action (you do need to stand up for yourself), he can't do what he is doing or even say those things to you. And remember if you resign then you lose out on PPL, and to get PPL you need to have the intention of going back even if you know you won't be have the intention and it can't be declined.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
miss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2007 at 3:14pm
Hey Mel, has today been betteR? Just hoping things aren't as stressful for you.
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2007 at 5:00pm
We aren't talking to each other, I've made it clear that I'm p*ssed at him...

The really wierd and bizarre thing is that I got a text message from him on Friday saying "sorry, if it's any good still u can have the 11th off" I couldn't believe it, I have to say that I swore at my phone, and replied back that yes I wanted it off and why couldn't he have given it to me in the first place. (saved those messages too).

I'm absolutely fine at work if he's not in there, and I don't have to call him about anything. I don't want to loose my PPL either so I'm tempted to have it out with him and hang in there...
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Post Reply Post Reply