FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPockets & inserts for winter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pockets & inserts for winter
    Posted: 07 April 2007 at 5:19pm
So I'm coming up to my first winter on MCN (I started part-time in August, full-time by November 2006), and I know that I'm going to need some more inserts. Question is though, how many?

I wash every day (because I really have just the minimum of nappies) but once Kryssi gets up to medium size then I'll need more full-size inserts for her (I have only 12 and I need two each for all the girls at night lol). Am I going to want a full set of inserts x2 days' worth? Or in all reality will I be putting them through the dryer every day anyway because they don't dry outside?? Does anyone remember how much it costs to run a load in the dryer anyway?

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2007 at 5:24pm
Ummm on that wasted show I think they said it's $1.30 to run a "standard" dryer.. seems kinda expensive really. Can you dry them in the hot water cupboard??
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2007 at 7:42pm
Our cupboard is small, but definitely big enough for inserts. Dunno why I never thought of it! (Probably cause we've only been here since Oct lol)
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2007 at 8:01pm
In summer I wash in the morning and hang outside to dry during the day. In winter I wash in the evening and dry nappies inside on the clothes rack - they dry overnight by the fire.

The hot water cupboard is a good idea though, hadn't thought of that either.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2007 at 8:10pm
You could always invest in a few plain cloth flats as 'spare' inserts too - they are super absorbent when folded and used as stuffing and they dry really quickly. When we're at Mum's and it's wet (her dryer sucks!) I jst hang them over the backs of the dining chairs overnight and they're dry by morning.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2007 at 7:18am
Only reason I thought of it is I keep my bras in there on some string that was already there when we moved in, it drys most stuff overnight and the only reason I keep my bras in there is that they are nice n toasty when I put them on hehe
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2007 at 8:55am

hehehe i have have inserts drying over my dining chairs at the moment. I hung them there last night just havent got myself together yet to put them away

I wash naps every night and just hand over chairs or my clothes horse

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2007 at 7:55pm
I heard somewhere that it costs $5 for each full use of the dryer, but that seems CRAZY!! I can't imagine it would cost that much....
I would prob go for the hot water cupboard idea
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2007 at 9:07pm
$5 thats Crazy alright

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2007 at 9:51pm
Do you reckon a load of them would dry overnight in the HWC? I'm still thinking I probably need to get two days' worth of the long ones.
jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2007 at 9:53pm
Just a thought too ladies, that if you are going to hang them on a clothes rack / horse inside and overnight, and you have a dehumidifier, to run this next to the rack at the same time. Not just to help them dry quicker but to help stop too much moisture from building up inside the house.
Jacquie - Mama to Erin, 13.07.06 - Chief Cat Chaser & Marmite Sammie Eater

Love many, trust few, harm none. ~Anon~
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2007 at 8:50pm
or use a heated towel rail
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2007 at 8:41am
I hang them under our carport at night. If they are still damp when i need them in the morning, I'll put them through the dryer for like 10mins. and put the ones I don't need in the hot water cupboard - seems to go well.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2007 at 2:52pm
Thanks Liz, that's good to know, I thought they would just absorb the dampness in the cold cold of winter... we also have under cover outside lines, they rock!
 Post Reply Post Reply