FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedrude things they say

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rude things they say
    Posted: 11 April 2007 at 12:17am
just wondering, has anyone else had their child say something that you just didnt know how to respond to?
Caitlyn is off to school in approx 9weeks and lately shes been coming out with eyebrow raising stuff....

last week we were choosing her clothes for kindy and she said she wanted to wear her shorts cos she'd look "sexy" i was shocked! and then she said her friend wore shorts and apparently her friend said she wore them cos they were sexy
I know shes going to learn all those words but still its shocking to hear coming out of your babies mouth-and what do you say?! in the end i just said, how about we make an agreement that you and me wont use words until we understand what they mean " which was probably the wrong thing to do..

anyone else had anything like this?
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 9:25am
wow - no idea either but makes me glad i dont have girls. i would wonder about the friend she got the word from tho.

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 1:08pm
yeah..that did cross my mind as well actually...
EllenMumof2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EllenMumof2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 2:50pm
wait to she goes to school it gets worse  I can think of so many things kalem has said and it still shocks me and kalem goes to a good school i just explain to him that those words are not acceptable in our family.

Kalem 6!
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 4:21pm
Madam uses sexy too - normally when she's running around the house with no clothes on after a bath I tend to ignore it. The other word she uses is dickhead - calls my husbands dad that all the time (it's kind of true too ) again we don't make a big deal of it.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 8:38pm
I asked Kiya if she knew what "sexy" meant (without any explaination - just asked her as she was walking past) and she had no idea. Nat calls me sexy all the time, so it is a word she's heard before. It is entirely possible that Caitlyn's friend was just copying something heard at home without any idea what was really said.

Kids pick up on things so fast! Kiya went out to get the mail today, and came back inside laughing. She said "The lady said 'oh sh!t' when she saw me at the gate!" I had to have a chat with her about swear words as its not a term we use around her.
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
photomaxmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photomaxmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2007 at 9:11pm
My eldest is now six and she started asking to wear certain clothes on the school mufti day and for the same reason because she wanted to look sexy. so i asked her what sexy looked like, she told me sexy was what you looked like when you had clean clothes and looked pretty. I dont think at their age they know what the word means and i really wouldnt read too much into it. I would recommend you tell her that you will let her wear the shorts because she looks beautiful in them and that beautiful is way more better than sexy.
HOpefully she will tell her friend that she looks way better than sexy and is beautiful, just try to change the focus.
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2007 at 9:56pm
My mum is always telling Jake he looks sexy, and I know she dosen't mean it in a pedophile way, but it grates me a wee bit... maybe she should say "swish" or "flash" or sommat?
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2007 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by .Mel .Mel wrote:

The other word she uses is dickhead - calls my husbands dad that all the time (it's kind of true too ) again we don't make a big deal of it.

see i would have a problem with that more than sexy. i dont think kids should be trying to look sexy at that age (even tho they dont know the meaning) but i dont think i would make too big deal out if it ... on the other hand if my child was calling someone a dickhead then i would def be putting a stop to that.

Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2007 at 5:01pm
Ethans latest thing is "sh*t, f**k". No idea where he got it. Probably has heard it a couple of times when we are down the street. Makes me try harder not to swear!!!
formerly known as "Bee"

Ethan ~ March 2003 Big 6 year old school boy!
Micah ~ Aug 2008 ~ Smiley pants who loves telephones!
Beanz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2007 at 8:43pm
Oh i think I should take my daughter to a prim and proper school!! I will use astrix so I dont offend but a selection of what I have heard her say in the last 3 months
Sh*t
a**hole
f**ing b**ch
b**ch
p*ss

and other variations of the same words... the scary thing is she says it in contex (sp?)

i.e. "shut up youf**ing b**ch mum"

I blame daycare... At home we ignore it.
photomaxmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photomaxmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2007 at 9:20pm
As a parent and on the governance committee at my childrens daycare i can most undoubtably assure that fould language is not tolerated in daycares. The teachers are trained to deal with these things and generally tell the children that they are bad words and are not allowed to be spoken in the centres. We went through our daughter saying f**k B****h and it came not from the kids at daycare but from one of the parents who repeatedly swore in the carpark.    Children repeat what they hear and mostly it comes either from the parents, the tv or from being out in public,   If you think it is coming from the child care centre the teachers there would probably like to have you share your concerns with them so that they can work with you and your child to prevent the language from developing.
thanks
lisa
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2007 at 4:50pm
I dont know if day care can be blamed either, since I have never heard children swear at day care. (I go there every lunch time to BF my DD).

I heard a 20 month old in Zaara's room say F*** a few times, and saw the horror look on the teachers face every time.....

The teacher told me that she ignores it as she does not want to draw any attention to it but was horrified that she knew that word and when to use it! I say she heard it at home or from some one outside. Thankfully she has moved to toddler room. Specially because now my DD is picking up so many words. We try not to swear at home, but must admit every now and then "SH*T" does come out. But we are trying real hard.

But yes they will pick up things like that from school....I guess we just have to deal with it, and enforce that those words are not allowed in our house or in public.

Edited by Roksana

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2007 at 8:03pm
it's interesting, some kids just pick things up from whereever - can you not remember how intruiging it was when someones parents obviously started to try and educate them on the birds and the bees etc and they came to school in standard 4 and told all your friends, it's just another thing that brings shock factor, but they don't actually know what it meansusually apart from the context it's used in. You could try eplaining that it is a word that adults use and isn't right for children to use, and suggest some other words she could use.

sometimes they pick up other stuff though, i do know on a poster at daycare they have parts of the body and i think they have nipples written on there. Ayja comes up frequently if mike has his shirt off and goes "little nipples daddy"    she also apparently says that i have a big bottom, but only because i was takingup too much of the chair she was sitting on, i asked her what her bottom was and she goes "ayja's bottom little"
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 4:19pm
I really have to watch it as I am a terrible swearer after Joey saying F**k a few times and us studiously ignoring it he seems to have forgotten it and I am trying really hard not to let it slip out... It was mortifying when he said it loudly at the supermarket checkout when I wouldn't let him play with the eftpos machine though

Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 8:28pm
Brae has learnt "for f**ks sake" from his dad.
"Buddy bugger" & "GRRRRR" from me.
They are so quick to pick things up
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

megrac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote megrac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2007 at 12:03pm
i have managed to teach miss 6 that all the bad words she hears (which is a few) are only for adults and not for kids to use. as we have a few people who visit and dont tend to mind their lanuage, she will repeat it to me to test if it is a word she can use and i say no thats an adults word and she seams happy with that but what she says when i am not their well who knows but no body has said anything yet. so i think it works.
my4beauties View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my4beauties Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2007 at 4:45pm
Our employee whose also a good friend taught our son "shut up egg". Hmm nice, thanks for that! He only says it when in the presence of this person, but it's still very cheeky & I wouldn't put it past him to say it when out in public. He also says "what the hell's that?", like if we're out walking or driving & we pass something he'll ask in a nice manner "what the hell's that" which is an expression I use, but more when I catch the kids doing something they're not suppose to be like drawing on the walls!!.... "what the hell's happening here!" He knows what words are "bad" though, like shut up, even though he now uses it in the above term. If he hears his dad swear he tells him "don't talka like dat!".

Edited by Italiah
My babies:

R (9),G (7), J (5)

Post Reply Post Reply