FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked2nd hand cots on trademe.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
emachan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2nd hand cots on trademe.
    Posted: 21 April 2007 at 9:23am
Hi, just been browsing through trademe for 2nd hand cots. I have noticed a few of the sellers have listed cots that are only a few months old saying that their baby prefers to sleep in bed with them - is this normal? I thought it would be really dangerous for a little baby to be with 1 or 2 big adults in bed!

Do you think it would be worth getting a cot that another baby supposably 'refuses', as one seller put it, to sleep in??

DD#1 Sept 08
DD#2 Oct 09
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 9:26am
It personally wouldn't bother me buying a cot off trade me so long as I checked it out to make sure there was nothing actually wrong with it. What one person says for the reason for selling could be a total lie or overreaction or the truth.

So as long as the cot is structurally sound I don't see a problem with getting one on trade me
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 9:40am
I bought ours off trademe. I basically looked around all the shops and decided exactly what I wanted and then waited till the right one came up on Trademe. I bought a touchwood cot and we will get a brand new mattress for it. The cot is in excellent condition except one of the catches gets stuck (but stuck in a good way). It saved us a lot of money.

I think it is unusual to see a lot of posts about baby prefering to sleep with mum and dad. mostly the cots are for sale as bubs is now a "big boy/girl".
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 10:59am
That sounds like a strange reason to me, is the kid gonna sleep with mum and dad until they can go in a big bed by themselves? A bit suss. I know a lot of people enjoy co-sleeping but for that long? Really?
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 12:55pm
There are a lot of people who co-sleep and although we don't and won't (maddie wriggles way too much!!) there are meant to be perfectly valid reasons for doing it and I know of many who do. It's really no biggie and not suss at all.

As long as the cot is in great condition then I see no issues with it.

Millie1976 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millie1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 3:59pm
I brought mine off Trade Me and have had no problems with it at all - hope you find something that suits you
Sebastien 2 years old
Olivier 3 3/4 years old
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by emachan emachan wrote:

I have noticed a few of the sellers have listed cots that are only a few months old saying that their baby prefers to sleep in bed with them - is this normal? I thought it would be really dangerous for a little baby to be with 1 or 2 big adults in bed!

it depends on your view of "normal". but co-sleeping is just as safe as a cot if done correctly and safely, ie not if drunk, or a smoker etc...

it does sound like a funny reason to sell a cot tho. You would have to be careful tho that the cot met all safety standards, but i cant remember what they are. maybe someone else can remember or have a link for you.

caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2007 at 5:53pm
We bought our cot off Trademe and it is older but perfectly safe and functional.
We bought a new mattress for it though, and gave it a thorough scrubbing just in case of bugs or mould.
Ella preferred to co-sleep, and although it wasn't ideal for me or DH from a comfort point of view it was never risky or suspicious. Just the easiest and quickest way to get her to sleep!
Once she was old enough to learn to self settle (and I was brave enough to let her cry a bit) she went back into the cot.
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Post Reply Post Reply