FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIdeas for home made toys...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ideas for home made toys...
    Posted: 19 May 2007 at 12:35pm
I thought we could share our ideas for homemade toys. Not that I have any but I would love to hear everyone elses! I also keep throwing away my formula tins but I'm sure there must be something I can use them for
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
Sponsored Links

BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2007 at 1:43pm
I found these long funny twisty shaped lolly containers in a dairy when Bay was about 6 months old so i bought a few of them and took the lollies out (hehe ya know what i mean! lol) and food coloured some rice with different colours then half filled the containers with the rice and glue gunned the lids down the lids were all different colours too which was neat and Bay had oddles of fun with them! my friend even asked if she could have one for her daughter as she was so facinated with it! It makes a neat noise, looks colourful and excited, is the perfect size for little hands and is every cheap!! ($1 for the lolly containers and pretty much free for the rice as you generally have that anyway!).
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2007 at 1:46pm
oh i forgot to say that we also use to put alsorts of different textures like dirt, marbles, sand, rice etc in the formula containers and then painted then and Bay loved rolling them around the ground to hear the noises. Of course we only did a few and then the rest of the formula containers turned into nail containers etc for DH garage!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2007 at 1:54pm
KH25 I have a friend who cuts a slot/hole in the top of formula tins and her daughter loves to post pegs through it - the slidey pegs.
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2007 at 2:14pm
the washing powder sccops are fabulous for bath toys - Jake and Taine spend ages pouring from one to another (would pretend that was my idea but ripped it off old Treasures mag()
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2007 at 2:17pm
I used to have a brochure I got my our playgroup on homemade toys, not sure if I still have it, I'll have a look.

tashzmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tashzmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2007 at 6:17pm
i get the empty toilet paper rolls(the cardboard bits)or paper towel rolls, fill them with rice etc,tape the ends shut and u can paint them pretty colours and tash spends ages and ages rolling them and shaking them and she enjoyed painting them too.

we also biuld huts. we have a 6 seater corner suite and each seat is a individual bit(does that make sense) so we can turn it round and use the coffee table as one end and put sheets and blankets over top, tash sits in there for ages with her dolls.

pasta jewellery-i get some macaroni and some wool with a big plastic blunt needle and she threads the macaroni onto the wool then once she finshed tie it together and she can paint it.

you can also make pasta faces-draw a big face on a peice of paper and use pasta for the features. like spirals for the hair,shells for the eyes,macaroni for the eye brows and ears, and we just use what ever for the mouth.

umm thats all i can think of at the moment.
at the moment its help mummy pack and clean. tash takes great delight in unpacking as i am packing and smearing stuff all over the windows and walls....
Natasha Jayde, 1-01-05(7lb3oz)
Caroline Elisabeth, 9-04-08 (4lb15oz)
Izabella Kate, 9-04-08(6lb7oz)
Lexi Brenna, 23-01--2011(6lb6oz)
jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2007 at 9:08pm
Brooke's favourite baby toy was an ice cream container with a hole cut in it and jam jar lids to feed through the hole. As a preschooler her and her best friend used to sit outside on the grass with the peg bucket making people and other props for fantasy play. She also got good mileage out of a huge box of wooden offcuts. They made good houses and fences for her little plastic animals.

At playcentre we made rainmakers by hammering nails through empty glad wrap rolls, filling them with rice, beads or anything that makes a good sound, then covering the ends with strong tape. They made a cool sound when you tipped them upside down as the rice falls through the gaps.
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 8:24am
*bump*
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 8:31am

Ooo, good thread.

When Michaela was little one of her favourite toys was a tissue box which we'd filled with scraps of fabric for her to pull out at her leisure.

A friend of mine had a box with a hole cut in the top and a bucket of pegs for her son to post.

Nowadays we often give her old cardboard rolls when the handee towels have run out and she uses it as a trumpet, tupperware containers with lids on are drums and toilet paper rolls are binoculars.

Even now we can't go past a kitchen sink full of warm bubbly water and some 'dirty' dishes for her to 'wash'.

ETA: forgot to add there's no use buying those expensive lamaze ring toys to hang other toys from the pram, cot or playmat when shower curtain rings are cheaper and do the same thing.

Edited by MrsMojo
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 4:41pm
I use polystyrene blocks for Jake to hammer and saw. He has a blast!

I also filled a deep container with rice - some plain, some dyed - and chucked in some measuring containers and spoons and things. Jake digs and measured and pours and shapes and has a great time.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 10:39am

We recently bought a pack of fly swats.  It is the greatest entertainment!  DD stalk around the house hunting for flies and trying to swat any she finds, it's hilarious to watch.  We also take one each and play tag chasing each other around the house trying to (softly) swat each other.  It's the best $2 I've spent.

FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 11:33am
I found that there was no cure for the obsession with the wipes container, so I saved a container for her, washed it out, and used all the different colours of ribbon that I saved (I'm a hoarder) cut them into short lengths, tied them together to make one long rainbow ribbon, and popped it into the wipes container to be pulled out, and out, and out. Keeps her busy for ages!!

I've used an old icecream container, and cut a round hole in one side for her to post ping pong balls through (the balls also make fun bath toys) and in the other side I cut a hole that her blocks fit through. A bit of tape around the holes so no sharp edges, and let her go to town.
popcorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 9:05pm
you can make bubble wands from the tops of milk bottles,

use boxes, glad wrap rolls etc for pasting and collage

turkey basters are great for water play

gladwrap rolls are good for making telescopes, just put cellophane over one end

can make whole outfits from newspaper

floss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 12:30pm
Big coke or juice bottles, we fill with water, add some colouring and then add glitter and rice or marbles. tape the lid shut and roll it round the floor, the kids loved it till the dog bit a hole in it.

My beautiful big girl Sienna 15.04.06

Double the trouble double the fun Noah & Lola 10/11/07
 Post Reply Post Reply