FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIs it ok?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it ok?
    Posted: 01 July 2005 at 5:36pm
My little man is 8 months old and absolutely refuses to eat mush, chunky mush or any food mixed together. The only thing he will eat like this is custard and sometimes fruit. But if I give him a strip of steak he will happily munch out on it. I have been told you are supposed to make it a gradual change from mush to eating food that the family does, but he won't have a bar of it? He has four teeth now and doesn't have any problem with chewing and doesn't choke so does it really matter? He is pretty much eating what we are now.
Mum to Alex (11), Blaire (10) & Erika (8) and Damien (6)

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
Sponsored Links

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2005 at 5:41pm
Jake's the same age and loves, well, pretty much anything...aprt rfom the tabasco sauce he got into a few days ago!!.... We often give him little mini-sausages, bits of meat and stuff. Although he\ll eat the mushy stuff too, he has teeth, chews it well, and doesn't choak so I don't think it's too bad!
Some idiot tried to give him roasted almonds the other day though....now he WOULD choak on that!!
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2005 at 4:47pm
Maybe it's a little phase they go through?

For a while Hannah wouldn't touch anything that I tried to feed her on a spoon. (Unless i actually forced it in and she realised it was sweet... then she'd quite happily eat it from me. but veges... nooooo wayyyy)

She's now started eating properly again, but it was a couple of weeks at least that she wouldn't eat properly.
For those few weeks I just gave her finger food.
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2005 at 6:00pm
hey, i gave Jake meat patties today. I put them into finger sized portions and he loved them....then the cat ate the leftovers that he had smushed into the floorboards...
newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2005 at 9:47pm
lol, two birds with one... meat pattie

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2005 at 10:37pm
I think they usually say that as a guideline because most babies can't just go from mush to finger foods, but if her eats it, and eat a decent amount then why not - i think also they say about foods the family eats being introduced at an older age because they might contain things that little tummies can't tolerate at a younger age.. but if you give him things that don't contain that sorta thing then yay! it's all good.. some people i know have kids who won't eat anything but pureed food, and they are much much older!
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 10:04am
Maya was eating whole banana's (not an entire banana, but biting chunks off and chewing it) at 6 mths with no probs, and around that time I introduced toast fingers etc. Steak is probably fine as long as you watch him so he doesn't bite off more than he can chew but I would watch things like luncheon and sausages as they contain a lot of preservatives that little tummies don't cope with so well. I was lucky in a way with Maya's allergies that I had a dietitian on call so I could always check up on what I was feding her!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 12:52pm
Ella pretty much went from puree to finger foods. She wouldnt touch any of the red watties tins - not even the puree ones. She was (and still is) happy with the blue fruit tins and yellow custards, but wouldnt touch anything chunky or anything I made. So I started giving her toast/crackers etc and went from there. She still loves to suck and chew on a hunk of meat. She loves to eat frozen veges - still frozen LOL!
Aimee
Ella - 5.5 years old!
Toby - nearly 3 years old!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 1:11pm
Frozen veges are supposed to be good for teething, LOL might help my sore wisdom tooth!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 1:14pm
we have these neat sausages in japan called "chibi sausage", they are especially for kids and have less salt and preservatives and things. they taste pretty good too. one for Jake, two for mum.
darlinggirlk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darlinggirlk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2005 at 9:47pm
Talia is just gone 3mths and i have started giving her a teaspoon of farex rice at nighttime before bed then her bottle. Before i gave it to her, she would wake half way through the night still hungry. She seems to be handling it ok. Im still abit worried she'll put on too much weight if i keep it up. What do you guys reckon???

Kara
lou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2005 at 7:26am
At 3 months it's still very normal for babies to wake up during the night, especially if they are breastfeed.  In terms of putting on weight I don't think it will be too much to worry about, a bit a extra baby chub can be good for babies
Mother to two beautiful children - Sophie age 6 and Ephraim age 4

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2005 at 9:25am
Kara, I started Hannah on solids at the same time.
Once they start eatig a bit more they seem to cut down milk feeds.
I don't think you have to worry about Talia's weight at this stage (unless it isn't enough, but it doesn't sound like you are worried about that!)
darlinggirlk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darlinggirlk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2005 at 9:28pm
Nope its definitly enough. She's not to chubby. She's also getting formula feeds as well as breast feeds as i wasnt making enough milk for her in the afternoons.

Kara
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2005 at 10:40pm
one teaspoon shouldn't be enough to make her gain weight too quickly.. i think you are safe with that one. i think i started paris on solids at about 3 and a half months too.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Post Reply Post Reply