FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVege Dishes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vege Dishes?
    Posted: 25 May 2007 at 2:17pm
I need some more ideas for meals that are versatile and preferably easyish.. I am a vegetarian (no meat whatsoever but don't care about milk products etc) but DH is a meat eater.

Stirfrys are our main thing but there's only so many variations of a stirfry you can make. Any other ideas at all?
Sponsored Links

tashzmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tashzmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2007 at 2:38pm
this is gonna be no help what so ever at the moment but...

i have a recipe for vegetarian lasgne, but its in one of my cookbooks thats in a box at the moment so i can put it up in a week once we've moved.

sorry for being not much help at the moment
have i looked in a edmonds cook book as i am sure there are some in there.
Natasha Jayde, 1-01-05(7lb3oz)
Caroline Elisabeth, 9-04-08 (4lb15oz)
Izabella Kate, 9-04-08(6lb7oz)
Lexi Brenna, 23-01--2011(6lb6oz)
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2007 at 3:24pm
I love Spanokopita.. with spinach, feta and filo pastry. Although you might not want to eat the feta (is usually fine when cooked though) until after you have bubs..

You can make nice self crusting quiches with veges, they are quick and easy.

lentil dishes, theres a recipe I have somewhere for lentil curry (like dhal) with coconut milk.

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2007 at 4:45pm
I'm making vego lasagne tonight.

Otherwise lately we have been having burritos or tacos... we have mince while Tobin has beans etc... then fill the rest up with grated cheese, sour cream, shredded lettuce, grated carrot, tomato etc.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2007 at 5:01pm
Corn fritters are easy, and you can lay them on top of a bit of a salad or just have the salad on the side. The way I usually do it is:

1 can creamed corn
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg
whatever herbs and spices you might like to add - I sometimes put in mixed veges (the littles ones that come frozen).

Then just pan fry on the stove in a bit of oil, they don't take long at all.
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2007 at 5:05pm
I love vege pasta bake. Tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, whatever veg you have rinsed and chopped. Chuck it all in a greased baking dish with the cooked pasta and top with sliced tomatoes then sprinkle with cheese. Bake on 180 for about 20 mins.

Another easy peasy fave is scalloped potatoes with extra veg. 4-5 average size potatoes peeled and sliced. 1 chopped onion (optional) 2 cups of loosely packed grated cheese, spinach, broccolli, carrots, courgette... whatever you feel like basically, chopped up and then layer them one on top of the other ending with a layer of potatoes then cheese. Sliced tomato is nice on top too. Then mix 300mls of cream with an egg and pour over the top. Into the oven at 200 for 40mins-1 hour or until potatoes are cooked and the top is golden and bubbling.
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2007 at 10:20pm
If you are looking for inspiration for vege, i can recommend Alison Holst's Meals without Meat cookbook, i use it all the time, with my meat loving DF and while he complains theres no meat in it, he always eats what i give em.
I do vege burittos and nachos a lot, w watties chilli beans, i mash em up half way thru the cooking.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2007 at 8:13am
Mexican is good because it does let DH just add his meat in and as much as he pleases and it's always soooo yummy.

But I'm gonna try some of these ideas this week on him hehe
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2007 at 10:50am
I love Falufal(sp) kebabs with tabbouleh(sp) & have even made my own (not the falufal- brought that in a packet & just added water)
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

Konagirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Konagirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2007 at 10:22pm
Just want to second the recommendation of the alison holst book, I use a few of them all the time.
My favorite: Bean and tomato soup
chop a medium onion, fry with 2 cloves garlic in large pot. Add 1tsp thyme, 2 bay leaves for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, rinse a can of red kidney beans and 4 bean mix (410g cans). Drain. Add the beans and a can of chopped tomatoes (I like the watties pesto tomatoes). And also 4 cups of vegetable stock. Bring to fast simmer. Add a cup of small uncooked pasta. Cook 10 minutes, or until pasta is cooked.
Serve with a good dollop of pesto - really makes the soup.
I have also chuck in a bottle of tomato pasta sauce sometimes if I have one. You could also add some carrots or whatever veggetabels you wanted.
This is so so so easy to make! Takes me about 5 minutes and tastes great and is good for you. Nothing more you can ask for I think!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 6:36pm
I make a mean chickpea curry, it's pretty mild, but really tasty. Will track down the recipe. And I'll ask my sister for ideas, she's a vege too.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 7:48pm
Hmmmm, chickpea curry. DH made this for me one night but made it for his tastes. I can't stand hot food and he made it far too spicey for my liking hehe. I'd appreciate a mild one!
bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 3:53pm
I have a great recipe at home for a Chilli and Curry Lentil Soup. Quite hot, not one for the kids. If anyone is keen I will post it later on tonight :)

.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2007 at 4:44pm
Warm Orzo Salad with Chilli and Basil
This stir fry/warm salad can be made with chicken or as a vegetarian dish. Orzo is a type of pasta also known as risoni as it resembles large grains of rice. It has a lovely silky texture.

1 cup orzo or risoni cooked and drained
1 double boneless breast of chicken thinly sliced or 1-2 cups roasted pumpkin
1 tbsp sesame oil
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 cup broccoli florets
½ tbsp fish sauce
½ tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
3 spring onions thinly sliced
½ cup chicken stock
Juice of ½ a lime
A handful each of basil leaves and coriander leaves

Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan; quickly seal the chicken if using, then add the garlic and spring onions and toss cooking them quickly. Add the prepared broccoli and the chilli sauce and fish sauce. Mix through then add the stock. Simmer till the broccoli is tender then lastly toss in the fresh herbs and pumpkin if using. Tip the cooked orzo into the pan and thoroughly coat in the pan juices.
Serve immediately as a warm salad or cool and refrigerate till required.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Post Reply Post Reply