FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhealthy snacks for toddlers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: healthy snacks for toddlers
    Posted: 19 June 2007 at 2:24pm
okay im stuggling to find healthy snacks to give rhiannon, especially since im trying to stay away from museli bars etc.

i have started to make my own biscuits as i know whats going in them,

she gets lots of fruit, sandwiches, raisins and dried apricots (although not too many as i know they are bad for her teeth), i make muffins and freeze them,

cheese singles and crackers but what else can i give her

Sponsored Links

MyBelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyBelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 2:46pm
I give izobel mouse traps, (just toast with marmite and grated cheese on top and grilled for a till cheese is melted) and she loves them!

how about vege slices, like carrot slices, or bits of cauliflower and brocolli etc, i give izobel them with a bit of dip, it entertains her because she gets to dip the veges herself, gives me 10mins to clean, ok she gets dirty, but she loves it!
my4beauties View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my4beauties Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2007 at 9:55pm
How about pita bread cut into triangles with hummus.

My hubby loves to make our kids healthy snacks, celery sticks & carrot sticks with a cheese sauce - yum!

Olives? So many kids I know LOVE olives! I hate them myself.

Corn chips with salsa.

Hmm that's all I can think of for now
My babies:

R (9),G (7), J (5)

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2007 at 10:05pm
That's all we do Kazzle Cheese and cracker and fruit in the morning and biscuit and fruit in the afternoon... or something along those lines. Easy = best!
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2007 at 8:51am
Kazzle, I found a recipe for home-made muesli bars. Made them for the kids and they LOVE them. i cut them up small so although there is a bit of sugar in them, it's not an obscene size. I'm off to playcentre now but will post you the recipes later this afternoon - BTW both recipes are REALLY easy and toddler-help-friendly too.
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2007 at 2:05pm
energy bars (from the healthy steps diary by sanitarium)

125g margerine
1/2c honey
1/2c sugar
melt this and boil in suacepan for five minutes

4c ricies
1/2c chopped dried apricots (i used raisins instead - still good)
1/2c sunflower seeds
1/2c pumpkin seeds
1/2c sesame seeds (i omited this - forgot to buy at supermarket)

mix these ingrediants together and pour over honey mixture. mix together and press into tin. it says this makes 18 bars, but we cut them into small bite sized pieces and made almost 40 I think!

Muesli and apricot bars
not sure on the taste of these as I can't eat peanuts but everyone seemed to like them
1c ricies
4 wqeetbix - crushed
1 cup rolled oats
2/3 c dired apricots, chopped (forgot these - used raisins)
1/2c coconut
mix these

1/2 cup raw sugar (i used normal)
1/2 c honey
1/2 crunchy peanut butter (I used smnooth)
125g margarine
put in saucepan and boiul for five minutes - pour over ricies mix. mix well and press into tin. this says it makes 20 bars and we made double that almost by cutting them into toddler sized pieces. apparently nice but we have to keep ours in the fridge because of ants, which makes them extra chewy.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2007 at 3:02pm
popcorn is my only contribution.

Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2007 at 4:20pm
thanks guys...i will definitely try the muesli bars

bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 4:12pm
I have a great baby and toddler food book at home, when I go home after work I will try and remember to have a peek through :)

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2007 at 8:07pm
Baby food and beyone by simon and Alison holst is FANTASTIC and $18 at the shops, but I could get you one for $12 (our Parent centre sells them as fundraiser)

Jake LOVES Rice crackers and will choose them over choc bikkies or chips everytime, and he LOVES hummus as well, the pumpkin and kumera is a fave with him.

WE pretty much just do fruit peices, rice crackers, mini wine bikkies as a treat. I make a wee "platter" for him most days at morning and afternoon tea, mandarin segments, kiwifruit, garpes, ricecrackers and raisins andhe just snacks as he wants.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 8:00am
snap what annie said about the platter - basically Joey gets a wee bit of whatever we have in the house

He loves hummus too - this is easy to make if you don't want to spend heaps at the supermarket.

I made my own muesli bars once they were delicious but the ingredients were so bloomin' (hehehe) expensive I've gone back to buying those Mother Earth fruit roll bar thingies for Joey, a box lasts about 2 weeks as he doesn't get one every day and he LOVES them!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 1:19pm
yep i second the mother earth fruit bars, you could even cut them in half to ek them out a bit more. THey are YUMMO, and not too bad sugar wise.
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 2:09pm
was about to get jake some mini meal mates today but checked the fat content! WOAH 28%fat!!!! i was thinking that could be his "healthy snack" as I plan to do some baking, but NOoooooo.

instead i got these healtheries little rice cake things - like normal rice cakes but come in a packet like chippies and in 10 packs. they have plain, cheese, sour cream and BBQ. taste kinda foul to me, but both kids Lurve them

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2007 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by lizzle lizzle wrote:

instead i got these healtheries little rice cake things - like normal rice cakes but come in a packet like chippies and in 10 packs. they have plain, cheese, sour cream and BBQ. taste kinda foul to me, but both kids Lurve them

oh yeah, they are gross, like cardboard, but Jake LOVES them, and he thinks he's got chips like the others (cos the bag) but no, stink old mum...
Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2007 at 7:32am
they are called wheelies, and rhiannon really likes them too, great for an afternoon snack, and i have to leave them in the packet for her, only tried them the other day, the bbq ones.

I like the big ones, but so does Rhiannon.

Thanks for all your suggestion guys, we now have a range of stuff for her.

Hummus, rice crackers, wheelies, museli bars, fruit, cheese.

I have also noticed that becasue i am a snacker that Rhiannon wants to eat when i do, and if she doesnt see me eating then she doesnt want anything till its the actually time to have the meal.

So in a way its good, cos its making me eat less, and watch what im eating.

fairsk8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fairsk8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2007 at 12:24pm
Like g&t my only contribution is popcorn, Xanda loves it, I get the bags with 12 little packets in from the supermarket, they are flavoured. Or I will make him some home made stuff and just package it into little bags, they last a week.
marielb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marielb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2007 at 8:32pm
Nice looking recipes lizzle!

I find we give biscuits and Isaac loves bananas - I try to add variety - at the moment its his birthday cake that he wants
 Post Reply Post Reply