FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedcloth or bought kind?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bridgetbird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bridgetbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cloth or bought kind?
    Posted: 17 August 2005 at 12:51pm
Has any found that using cloth nappies is way cheaper than the bought kind? Has any one found a difference? I plan to use cloth ones ( my baby is due december) and dotn' have a dryer but think with the warm dry weather I should be ok for a while.

After the cost of electricty for hot water, nappy san and over nappies and the nappy liners does it work out fincially cheaper to go cloth?

How do you do cloth? Do you always wash hot? Do you use nappie liners? Which are the best?

Any advice greatfully recieved.
Sponsored Links

nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2005 at 2:12pm
Cloth probably are cheaper in the long run. I used cloth nappies for my first son during the day and dispoables at night and for going out. I did however have to change to disposables all day in the end on doctors advice as he suffered from severe exzema. I used to rinse the dirty ones and soak all of them in nappisan, then wash in cold water. I used to do a hot wash every now and then. I also used nappy liners as they just make life easier. I have used disposables on my other two children from birth just because they are easier to use and no washing. Bascially I think it just comes down the personal choice and affordability.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
Southlandmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southlandmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2005 at 4:50pm
Hi Bridgetbird

I use cloth on my son whose 8 months old, I think its cheaper to go cloth, A box of liners (100) lasts us about 3 weeks, and a container of napisan last about 3 weeks also, I do wash in Hot water (cheeky as the farm pays for our power, so I dont care!!)

Although I use napisan oxyaction which is about $8.00, ive now switched to clorox magic or something, and its $6.00 so a bit cheaper and does the same job..

When in December is bubs due?

Good Luck :)
Cindy - Princess and Princes
Samia Isobel Joy born 9th September 2008
Spencer Graeme John born 29th May 2006
Kaylin Gavin Robert born 19 December 2004
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2005 at 11:14pm
honestly, how much extra work are cloth nappies? I always wanted to have Jake in cloth during the day and disposables at night, but due to me working full-time, it was more practical for us jst to do disposable. Now for B2, it looks like I'll be mostly a SAHM and have a bit more time (in theory) to do cloth.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2005 at 8:24am
I didn't find them to be any more work. I just took the nappy off, chucked the liner away (some people wash and reuse the wet ones but I didn't bother) and chucked the nappy in the npisan. Then every morning I emptied the whole bucket napisan and all into the machine, put them thru a cold wash cycle, and hung them out. I also folded them ready to go after they came out of the wash, so I didn't haveto fold them when I was changing her.
Bridget, I didn't have a dryer either for ages, and I found the nappies dried really quickly (we used cloth squares). I bought 3 doz, and I can only remember having to make 1 trip to the laundromat in the whole 15 mths till I got a dryer.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2005 at 7:45pm
Have a look at www.thenappynetwork.org.nz There is all sorts of advice for those new to cloth
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
angel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2005 at 4:38pm
I use cloth on Ella all the time.

It is very easy, and definately cheaper.

We do "dry pailing" where I dont soak her nappies, just give them a rinse under the tap then put them in an empty bucket until wash time. Then its a cold wash with half the normal amount of washing powder and a 1/4 scoop of nappy wash for a bit of a in-wash boost. Dont use fabric softener as it puts a coating on fabric and will cause nappies and towels to become waterproof!

Definately check out www.thenappynetwork.org.nz and register with the forum

You have so much choice for modern cloth nappies these days. TradeMe is good for picking up bargains. There are flat nappies, fitted nappies, PUL/wool/fleece covers, all-in-ones, pocket nappies (my favourite) and you can make your own. Also, you dont have to buy throwaway liners, a lot of fitted nappies and pocket nappies come with a microfleece or microsuede liner. Microfleece is a thinner version of polar fleece, and it does not absorb moisture, but lets it straight through to the absorbant material, thus keeping baby's bottom dry. When bub is older, firm poo rolls straight off it. www.snazzipants.co.nz is a good site to have a look at, they offer a bit of everything
Aimee
Ella - 5.5 years old!
Toby - nearly 3 years old!
agms_mum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agms_mum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 9:12pm
www.thenappynetwork.org.nz is a fantastic forum.

heaps of advice and so many modern cloth nappies, no difficulty washing, no pins, no folding! Its great@
 Post Reply Post Reply