FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNOT EATING SOLIDS!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NOT EATING SOLIDS!
    Posted: 29 August 2005 at 2:24pm
Abby is now 7 and a half months and we are having major problems getting solids into her. She won't eat chunky food and most days it's a struggle to get pureed foods into her, if we do it's usually only one small feed. We have tried feeding her before her milk but to no avail. Any suggestions, we are worried she is going to start losing weight.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
Sponsored Links

Kiwimeesh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwimeesh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2005 at 5:53pm
Hi there,

Some babies just take longer with solids. My little chap who is just gone 8 months can still have days (sometimes days in a row) when he's just not interested at all. He's a boob man through and through. He HATES lumps in his food, will only have it pureed and prefers fruit. He is starting to take finger food now so I reckon he'll skip the lumpy food stage. I have just read something recently that says some babies just go straight to finger food so that's put my mind at rest about his lump aversion.

Anyway you must just keep offering it to her, but don't let it become an issue. Babies can read their mums very easily and if they pick up stress it makes things worse. Just keep her on her milk so she doesn't loose weight. At 7 months milk should still be the main part of her meal anyway.

Relax and let her lead you. She will eat when she's ready to. Give her food to play with too. That might help her get used to it. Oh and does she watch you eat? Maybe start sitting her at the table while you eat and let her watch you. Make sure she sees you smiling and enjoying your food. Kids learn very quickly by just watching us.

If you're still worried, talk to your doctor or Plunket nurse.

Good luck
M

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2005 at 10:35pm
I agree, some babies just take longer to want solids. Maya was an early starter (16 weeks) because she had started to lose weight, but that turned out to be a sign of something else and in hindsight I wish we had waited.
I would just keep offering her solids, pureed if that's all she'll take at this stage, and eventually she'll get the hang of it. If you're worried about her weight, Plunket Family Centres have drop-in days usually once a week where you can just turn up and have a weight check. That might help to reassure you, and if there are any probs (very unlikely!) they'll be picked up.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2005 at 10:51pm
yep i agree with the others, aparently it can take up to 10 tastings of a new food, on different occasions for the baby to get used to the taste and texture of a new food. Paris never liked lumpy baby food, she went straight from pureed stuff to finger foods and even now her mashed potato etc has to have NO lumps in it. gotat love kids... so hard to please sometimes...especially little girls
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2005 at 1:05am
kids huh?? Lewis' mashed potatoes had to alsdo have NO LUMPS!!!!! however, i've weened him to my lazy way, only after making him mash them himself.

BTW Lewis is my husband, not my child
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2005 at 11:03am
Hehe Lizzle, I make Willie mash his own. Only way to ensure no complaints!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2005 at 11:29am
hahahaha glad I only have one 'child'
newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2005 at 11:34am
LOL, how extravagent, mashed potatoes, lol, Peter doesn't even get them mashed, can't be bothered, LMAO, what a lucky man!!

nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2005 at 2:15pm
thanmks guys. Tooke her to plunket yesterday, and her weight has slowed a wee bit but in saying that she is also way more active now then when she was 5 months. She's also very short so if you take that into account she is still probably a little podgy. I guess we will just persevere, she acutally ate nearly a whole can of fruit yesterday yay.
Plunket made a big deal about her not eating iron but I don't think we should worry to much yet. Also nice to know my hubby isn't the only fussy bugger that won't eat lumpy mashed spuds. I cheat and use the beater.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
 Post Reply Post Reply