FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBack onto meds?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
catcat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back onto meds?
    Posted: 04 August 2007 at 7:32pm
Hi, I'm new to this site - it's great that there's a topic for pnd support!
So here's my story....I have two girls - 3.5yrs, and almost 2yrs. I was diagnosed with pnd when my second daughter was 3 months and have been on citalopram ever since. I tried just before Christmas to reduce my meds (was on 1.5 tabs, went down to 1 tab), but after two weeks had a major meltdown, so upped the dose again. Around 3 months ago I felt ready to try to come off them, so I went to 1 tab for one month - everything was fine. Dropped to 1/2 a tab for one month - everything was still good. Dropped to 1/4 of a tab for two weeks and started noticing I was a little more irritable than usual, but just thought I was tired. Stopped meds altogether around 2 weeks ago and have been really irritable, anger easily (although I don't neccessarily feel grumpy, I just have a REALLY short fuse), and have been quite tearful (crying over something or nothing almost every day). I don't feel depressed as such, not like I did at the beginning, but the irritability and tearfulness are some of the other symptoms I experienced originally.
I find myself shouting at my girls, and getting really angry with them when it's probably not necessary. I've even smacked them a few times recently I hate the person I'm being at the moment, so I'm wondering if I should go back on my meds.
I really don't want to, for two reasons....the main one is that we want to start trying for baby #3 in October, and I am really scared to take anything while pregnant. My doc has said it's okay, but I'm not convinced. The other reason is that I put on 14kg while I was on the meds - ate everything in sight (and if there was nothing in sight I'd go buy something!). I've just started losing that weight and I REALLY don't want to put it back on!!
I've just started going to a personal trainer to get me back on track fitness/weight-wise, and exercise is 'apparently' just as good as meds for depression, and I'm taking Omega oils because they're also meant to help with depression, so should I just wait and hope it gets better? Or should I go back on the meds? Arrrgghhh!! I've been putting off seeing my doc about it cos I know she'll recommend meds again. To be honest, I think I probably need to, but what about getting pregnant again?
Help!
Sponsored Links

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2007 at 7:56pm
Hi! Welcome to Oh baby!
Sorry you have had a tough time. I havent been on meds for long, and dont want to be. I stopped taking them 3 days ago, and have all the same symptons back like u discribed.

Sorry I cant really help you, as Im new to this. But just wanted to say hi, and hope u get the answers you need soon.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2007 at 8:51pm

Edited by amy
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2007 at 9:38pm
It probably is still a good idea to talk over with your doctor and see if there's someone you can talk with about how to equip yourself to deal with situations better, in a way that isn't based on meds... I'm thinking along the lines of anger management course/parenting course/that kind of thing, or even some kind of support group? Not that I'm implying anything negative (e.g. anger) cause I don't know you at all. But I wonder if there is some kind of course etc out there that would help you on a practical level?

It sounds like you've done really well to get this far. Maybe a light dose is what you need for a bit longer but definitely have a word with your doctor first, let her know what you hope to do (ie get off them!) and take it from there. All the best!
catcat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2007 at 9:12am
Thanks guys - I think I'll go and have a chat with her tomorrow. Busymum, I was actually thinking the same thing - maybe an anger-management course or something. I know the anger isn't 'me' (I've always been a really calm, laid-back kind of person), it's part of the pnd, but I'm sure a course would still help me to deal with it. I'll ask her about it while I'm there.
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2007 at 12:35pm
Hey Kebe, welcome!
Firstly id like to give you a big And Thankyou for sharing your story with us. Sorry to hear things arent going well at the moment & hope things get back on track for you soon.
I suffer from "something" & find it hard to deal with & express emotions, so wont have the best advice for you & probably wont make sense but meh..
"asking for help in ALL avenues & walking through the doors that open for you are the firsts steps. Then letting go & working with it. Wont dont kill you WILL make you stronger"
hope you get what i mean hun & the right door opens for you.. heres another

X
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2007 at 2:05pm
All the best Kelly, hope you feel better soon. Awesome stuff about the personal trainer!
 Post Reply Post Reply