FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked1st Steps!! But major tears

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st Steps!! But major tears
    Posted: 09 August 2007 at 6:29pm
Gabrielle took her first independent steps today, about 5 of them and has repeated this clever trick about 6 times since. However, she absolutely bawls while doing it so I'm guessing she is scared.

Should I still continue to let her go and let her take a few steps towards me assuming she will eventually gain confidence or should I wait a week or so before trying again?
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
Sponsored Links

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 6:31pm
Go Gabrielle!!!

I'd probably be inclined to keep encouraging her but someone with more experience will probably have good advice.

SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 6:36pm
Just keep encouraging her but dont force the issue too much. Also afterwards swing her in the air and say Yay Yay Yay you are such a big clever little girl and clap your hands. (sure you do it already.)

Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 6:52pm
YAY!!!! That's awesome news!

I agree, keep encouraging her and rewarding her physically and verbally so that she can see there is nothing wrong with walking and nothing to be scared of.

If she really didn't want to do it then she wouldn't! Caitlin always cried when she crawled so I guess that's why she started walking less than a month after she started crawling.

P.S
When we had our first walking owie there were LOTS of tears! I guess it's the whole falling from a height thing for them. Just thought I'd give you a heads up on that one
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 6:59pm
Yeah we get lots of tears when we fall over! You'd think she'd broken and arm and a rib! Oh dear, the drama of being a baby...it's SUCH hard work being a baby and having someone looking after your every need...so very tough!
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 8:20pm
that's awesome! clever gabrielle

i'd keep encouraging her also and she'll soon learn that its not that scary

Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 9:45pm
im glad she is walking that is great...

Im a HUGE fan of encouragement...thats the ex nanny side of me talking now! I always say "Yeah Ella" when she does stuff....and always swoop up kids to distract them and ensure they only know the good stuff ....

How about standing in front of her and going
"come on Gabrielle...." and then before she falls swoop or swing her around or clap or just really over encourage her....just be really excited in your voice....it may sound silly but it works and who cares if you look silly....its in your home and shes your baby! if you are scared for her she will pick up on that...

Edited by Bombshell
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 9:54pm

Awww, so cool! I agree with the other mums who have mentioned positive reinforcement. I think that once she gets used to it, she will be just fine -- but it takes them a while to figure out that moving around this way is actually pretty cool!

On a side note, my mom told me that when I was learning to walk, I would stand there and scream -- because I hated wearing shoes! LOL Apparently I walked fine once she let me just go barefoot!

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2007 at 9:53am

OH YAY that is awsome!  Way to go Gabrielle.

I am also with all of the other mums, heaps of postiive reinforcement.

I remember when Tyrell took his 1st steps, I cried LOL But we were so full on with excitement (like right idiots) that he got a kick out of seeing us be crackers and kept doing it.

Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2007 at 8:34am
me and DH both cried when she walked for the first time. It's a huge milestone for them and for us parents as it marks the end of babyhood

Even though Caitlin has been walking for ages, if she falls over and gets that scared look on her face I just distract her and make it a positive instead. She's even saying "oh oooh" when she falls over, gets up, then runs off clapping
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 11:28pm
Go Elle! I agree with everyone else, let her go but babble on and on about how clever she is. I was doing that with Mercedes when she was trying to crawl the other day and she was getting frustrated but she had this grin from ear to ear coz she knew I was proud (poor old Sienna was just watching feeling a bit left out I think )
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2007 at 10:19pm
Yeah we are definately doing the over-the-top excitement thing and she has cottoned on. She still only takes a few wobbly steps here and there but is cruising around the house now....uh oh...time to baby proof! She knows she is clever and grins like crazy when she walks now.
Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2007 at 10:40am
that is awesome....

i know it sounds weird but child development is a lot like training dogs.....they listen to that encouragement and thrive on it seeking rewards each time they do it....i learnt to be over the top with training my dogs so now do it automatically with Ella - I yell "yeah Ella" and clap and she now looks for me to do it....is embarassing in public but hey its our kids dvelopment....so keep on with what you are doing and she will be fine!
 Post Reply Post Reply