FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHG (Hyperemesis gravidarum)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2011 at 12:16pm
I was on double your dose annnnd still vomiting as well as cyclizine and metaclopramide. I had a chemo level dose but there were other issues like I was so dehydrated (and stressed) that I was having seizures, I ripped my throat open from vomiting plus had acid burns that blistered up my throat, I burst blood vessels in my eyes and nose and there were concerns that my placenta could detach from the dehydration slash constant vomiting, specially when I got to the point I was vomiting blood (still in my first timester). I was throwing up every 15 minutes from 3am til 11pm at night. They were pretty desperate to settle my system down. DS1 was a twin and they think I was one of those mummies who had a massive massive influx of HCG and it sent my body into a spiral.
For anyone whos on their first baby and reading this lol seriously that level of hyperemesis is pretty rare from all accounts so don't panic!! And you can have twins and have low HCG levels so yeah its really not the norm
ETA and yep I went on to have another one and I got severe morning sickness/hyperemesis but it didn't last as long and it wasn't as bad.

Edited by Babe
Sponsored Links

MuppetsMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuppetsMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2011 at 5:47pm
Oh you poor thing!! That sounds truely horrendous. Big ups and massive respect to you for going for another - I've only done it twice and at 22 I am FINISHED FOREVER!!!!!! Lol would love to adopt though!
rachaels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 10:30am
I am hoping to get some support, I can't find anywhere that has a proper support group for women with HG.

With my number 1 I had hyperemesis through my first trimester but my midwife at the time was awful and although I lost 6 kg and was constantly vomiting she never offered me any drugs so I suffered through it. Luckily it turned off at 12 weeks like a tap, I just woke up one day and wasn’t sick anymore.

I am 14 ½ weeks pregnant with #2 and have had HG since 4 weeks. I was hospitalised twice so far (narrowly avoiding it a third time) around 6 weeks after a 9 day vomiting stint and needed rehydration via IV fluids and IV anti emetics. The OB in hospital prescribed me Cyclizine, Ondansetron and Metoclopramide to go home on which I can rotate through the day to theoretically stop me feeling like death warmed up each day. I was almost heartbroken when the 12 week mark came and went and I was still staring at the porcelain throne 5-10 times a day. Unfortunately now all three drugs tend to trigger vomiting (although maybe I’m just waiting too late, I wait until I’m feeling nauseous to take them, maybe that’s the mistake) so am feeling gross again.

My midwife has just told me to try ranitidine along with the metoclopramide but that isn’t making much difference yet. HG is just miserable, and taking a severe emotional toll on me. I am withdrawing from everyone, sad or angry all the time, sick of waking up multiple times in the night feeling nauseous, exhausted and losing weight.

I feel like a failure, and like there is something wrong with me because I really don’t feel any love for this baby. I almost wish I wasn’t pregnant, and I think that’s solely down to the fact that HG is KILLING ME!!! I hate hate hate it so much! I so want to wake up tomorrow and not be sick anymore. From a lot of what I’ve read, HG sufferers sometimes have it their whole pregnancies. The thought of that just makes me want to curl up in a corner and cry.

Sorry for the rant, I feel like I’m all alone in this although I know there are others out there that must be suffering the same as me.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 3:54pm
Aww hun, I feel your pain - this is HG pregnancy #4 for me and it's been by far the most evil of the lot

In terms of support groups, I find the HelpHER forums (www.hyperemesis.org) are a great source of support, so many people who just 'get it' in one place.

Treatment-wise, there are other things you can discuss with your doc that might help give you some relief. In addition to the three meds you're already taking, other options include high dose VitB6, phenargan and stematil (which can be given as a suppository if you can't keep it down). The ranitidine has been a huge help for me too, it doesn't have any effect on the nausea, but it reduces the acid so makes vomiting less painful and minimizes the damage to your oesophagus from vomiting.

Are you taking the odansetron as wafers or tablets? I started on wafers as I couldn't keep the tablets down, but now the taste of them triggers nausea associations so I've switched to the tablets.

As for feeling detached from the pregnancy, honey, you are not alone and it doesn't make you a bad person! In the early days of this pregnancy, I desperately wanted someone to suggest termination just to give me an 'out' clause coz I was so desperate to be well again. By 30 weeks I was praying she'd be born early coz the thought of weeks in NICU was far more attractive than another ten weeks of HG. Even now when I'm less than 10 days away from induction, I don't think I'll really feel bonded with this baby until I can hold her in my arms. But I do know from having survived this horrible disease before that once she is here, it will all be worth it.

Hang in there, but definitely have a chat to your doc/midwife about other treatments, and maybe even request a referral to an OB who is knowledgeable about HG. And focus on the small milestones - thinking '26 weeks to go' is pretty overwhelming, but if you break it down into smaller chunks (next u/s, next midwife appt, 20 weeks, 24 weeks) etc. it can seem less daunting.

Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
rachaels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2012 at 2:20pm
Maya thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful reply. I can't even express how much sympathy and empathy I have for you, your whole pregnancy...for 4 of them, how do you do it?

I almost feel like not telling you this, but I am on my second day with no vomiting. I was going on and on and on about the awful vomiting and nausea all the time to my midwife, who suggested that I wake myself up an hour early, take my ondansetron and metaclopramide, then lie in bed for an hour and wait for it to absorb. So far so good. It seems to be a case of if I let it start, it will be hard to stop the nausea - so I will continue doing this until it doesn't work for me anymore (and it's only been 2 days, this might not work forever).

Have also been offered the wafers next time I'm in hospital, but the cost and your experience puts me off.

Have you ever heard of a CD created by midwives that is supposedly supposed to help with nausea/vomiting? There is a lady in the Due Dec 2012 thread that has just recommended it - I honestly don't feel like a CD could possibly help me, but if it kicks back in I might give it a go.

Thanks so much for the hyperemesis.org link, reading the forum there makes me feel like I am very lucky!!! So awesome to read up that all these women are going through varying degrees of the same crud as me! I don't think I'll post, but just reading it has made me feel better, so thank you.

Looking at your ticker it looks like only a week left for you. You must be so relieved that it is nearly over. Kia kaha!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2012 at 9:38pm
Yay for no vomiting, that's awesome news! Taking the meds before you get up is a good idea. I know I lie in bed dreading getting up coz the minute I'm upright I need to puke But only 4 more sleeps til I'm induced, yippee!

Glad you found the HG forums helpful, I'm Gremlinsmummy over there. I didn't post there either until I had a relapse and ended up back in hospital at 28 weeks, I guess then I felt like I needed the support and encouragement.

I hope you continue to feel better and that you're one of the 'lucky' ones who fares much better in second tri. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123