FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow do I fix a dry, itchy scalp?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I fix a dry, itchy scalp?
    Posted: 02 September 2009 at 9:48pm
Random question, but I'm sure someone out there has the magic cure!

My scalp is really, really dry and flaky and itchy at the moment, it has been for months. It started with an allergic reaction to a new conditioner but even tho I haven't used it again, the dryness and itching hasn't stopped. My hairdresser even refused to colour my hair because of the condition of my scalp (so I went home and did it myself, naughty I know!).

I've seen treatment shampoos like Head and Shoulders, do they work? Will they fix my scalp without making my hair too greasy? Or do I need a medicated scalp treatment?

TIA!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Sponsored Links

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 9:55pm
When I had eczema on my scalp when I was a kid I used coal tar shampoo. Makes you smell like a road but it does work

HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 9:56pm
I have soriasis (sp) on my scalp and found that the dark blue head and shoulders worked really well to get rid of teh itchy dry scalp thing although it didn't completely get rid of the dry flakyness it definitely helped and worked alot better then the shampoo that my dr prescribed

catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 10:25pm
Sounds odd, but I (and i have heard other people say the same) swear by finishing off your shower / hair-washing with a blast of cold water - as cold and as long as you can stand it.

Not sure why this works, but it seems to. It also seems to have an immediate effect on soothing the itchiness

BeLoved View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeLoved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 10:31pm
I use a shampoo & conditioner by DeLorenzo called Tricho they have different ones for different scalp problems, I swear by this stuff been using it for at least 2 years after using Head & Shoulders etc. My hairdresser cannot believe how much it has changed the condition of my hair. you can get at most places that sell all the salon shampoos etc.

They say that a shampoo should be clear rather than creamy if you know what I mean as the creamy ones leave a residue on your scalp.

Oh and a dry itchy scalp can be bought on by stress too. Hope you get it sorted my scalp use to drive me crazy, especially when I was out and all I wanted to do was itch it, but had to try my best not to.
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 10:31pm
I have the same thing Emma and I use head and shoulders and find it really nice! There are lots of different blends for different problems. And its fairly cheap!
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2009 at 10:33pm
Oh yeah, teh DeLorenzo products are AWESOME!
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 6:04am
DH uses Selsun and finds it great.

Also what is good (but I'm too lazy to do it for him ) is to get coconut oil massaged into your scalp. Great for deep conditioning for your hair too!
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 8:05am
And for those who's head actually itch when anything is used on them.

Scalp Solution Trichology range. You get it at a shampoo shop & it's in a white bottle. There is a treatment Shampoo & also a sensitive skin shampoo.

I use normal conditioner but make sure it doesn't touch my scalp otherwise I'll still be itching. I've used the treatment one this time around as I'd had a reaction to a shampoo so took longer to fix but it works & no itchy head & the flaky bits are almost gone.

Oh & it doesn't smell like Coaltar shampoo
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 8:43pm
Thanks for the suggestions! Hmmm, now I just have to decide whether to start with the Head and Shoulders and see if it helps, or splurge on the salon stuff.

I am sooo not going near coal tar - my dad uses the soap and it is icky! He calls it "man soap"
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Muz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 9:11pm
I have the same problem with my scalp - I used many dandruff products thinking that was what was going on - it made my head soooo much worse. I now only use natural instincts shampoo and conditioner from a health shop (no nasty chemicals) and it is heaps better but not totally gone. I might give the Scalp Solution Trichology stuff a go.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 9:16pm
Mine is so gross, it literally comes away in chunks
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
BuzzyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 9:31pm
Probably not what you wanna hear Emma but i've had this problem ongoing since I was 18 (and I'm coming up 22). All started for an allergic reaction to a hair dye! Haven't been able to dye my hair since and it drives me absolutely insane.Sometimes the itching sensation gets so bad I want to just rip all my hair out and give it a good scratch!

I have found that when it gets REALLY bad using pinetarsol (which i use to shower in coz I am covered in eczema most of the time too) on my scalp actually tones it down quite a bit and it really relieves the itchiness and scaling. Not the nicest of smells and its damn messy but it works for me.

I might try that dark head and shoulders stuff someone above suggested though.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on and what you decide to go with!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 9:43pm
I shouldn't dye mine but it's about 20% grey so I choose vanity over sensibility
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
BuzzyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 10:06pm
Lol I guess I'm lucky that with age my hair has maintained a nice colour...it's real reddy brown, and so shiny. No idea how i managed that considering my natural colour WAS light brown prior to dying it years back Very strange.

Nothing wrong with a bit of vanity A girls gotta feel good about herself
Gaelic Lass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaelic Lass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2009 at 9:56pm
Emma - try Body Shop's Ginger Scalp Care (Anti-Dandruff Shampoo)

My sister used to work for Body Shop and she put me on to it. It really does work - and I have extremely sensitive skin! It smells divine too....

Here is the blurb about the shampoo....

"Best if you want to: Stop flakes and soothe your scalp using a gentle, yet effective shampoo with refreshing ginger for healthy, more manageable locks. Best for: itchy, flaky scalps How it works: Ginger root, birch bark, white willow and oak moss, known for their astringent properties, help to promote a healthy scalp. Community Trade organic honey moisturizes and conditions hair and adds shine. Panthenol nourishes and strengthens hair, reducing breakage and split ends."

edited sp*

Edited by kimmies
TysMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TysMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2009 at 10:02am
havent read the other posts as baby crying but my hubby has also tried everything and i just heard to full bath up and put half a cup of janola in it...........sounds dangerous but its a big bath and think of how diluted it will be also you put harsher things on your hands..........so im trying with him tonight ...apparentloy you just lay down in it and it takes care of the head and everything
blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2009 at 11:15am
Tea tree oil shampoo! You can get it from the supermarket too....and it also has the added anti-bacterial benefits (like janola, but much better smelling!)
pepsi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2009 at 11:34am
My scalp got a little like that when I was pregnant and head and shoulders didn't work for me, but Selsun Blue 5 did (also in the Supermarket)..
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2009 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

Mine is so gross, it literally comes away in chunks

Yep...that is how mine was...pretty much all gone now. I only wash my hair every 6 days so if you washed more often then it possibly would clear up quicker?
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
 Post Reply Post Reply