FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedKids scooters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kids scooters
    Posted: 21 October 2012 at 11:14am
Do kids need helmets on scooters. What scooter would you recommend for a 6, 8 & 11yr old boys?
Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 3:52pm
Apparently you do but my kids don't.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 5:44pm
My kids don't, I didn't know they were meant to. It's something I've been thinking of though as they are getting faster and more confident (and therefore taking more risks) on them.
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 6:25pm
I took the kids up to school in the holidays to shoot some hoops & the holiday program kids had a scooter day & only 1 out of about 20 kids had a helmet so it got me wondering..

Edited by jazzy - 22 October 2012 at 11:45am
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2012 at 10:49am
if the kids are at home then they don't but if they go to the park etc they have to wear their helmets.
I need to buy  new scooters for mine 2 for Christmas so would be interested to see if anyone has anyone recommendations. Looking for a 5 year old and 2 1/2 (has a 3 wheeler but likes to ride his sisters old 2 wheeler so want to get him a 2 wheeler).

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2012 at 11:00am
A has a Razor and it's pretty robust. C at 3 can use it & A is almost 9 & she has had it a couple of years & it's still going strong.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2012 at 11:44am
think I will get the kids helmets to go with them. DH saw these ones at kmart for $90ish on special awhile back.

MGP

DS1 wants one to ride to school as a few other kids do it, this one we are looking at does not fold down but built to last..although I am worried about him losing it at school, so may rethink that. It will probably be close to $200 per child for a scooter & helmet which would clean out my xmas budget as I was trying to keep it around that mark per child...oh what to do lol...
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2012 at 4:56pm
Im interested to know brands of good ones to get for my kids for Chritsmas too. They will be 6yrs and almost 3yrs
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 11:03am
DS1(6yr) has a Razor scooter. He's had it for around 2yrs and it's in good condition. I quite like getting on it too! ;p

DD1 (4y) has a cheapie Dora 3 wheeler. It's lasted OK but she's a big girl and it's actually quite difficult to ride (it's not very 'smooth'). Also it can be a bit unstable when turning. She'll be getting a Razor for xmas.

We will be getting DS2 (2yr) a 3 wheeler, but one where the 2 wheels are at the front as they seem to be more stable. We've been looking at the 'Twist and Roll'.
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 12:07pm
We have a strict 'no helmet, no wheels' rule in our house.

It's already saved my DDs head about 4 times (and that's when she was on her 3 wheeler).

Micro scooters are awesome, they had the 3 wheel ones, but now have cheap ones 2 wheel ones that I got for $20 each on sale from Farmers.
That'll do them for a few years.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 1:21pm
Yeah we have been looking at th emirco ones and trying to decide weather to get DS who will be almost 3 a 2 or 3 wheeler. DD has one of those barbie ones with the 2 wheels at the back and its crap cos she always catches he ankle on the back wheel.
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 2:29pm
just had a look at the warehouse...there are so many out there, will check out TM also. We got DS1 one from the supermarket yrs ago it lasted till it got left outside & forgotten but it only cost about $30
LouD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2012 at 4:50pm
I find it hard to keep a helmet on my little one. they dont like the clip sitting under their chin. He often wants it on and then off again soon after. I think scooters are just as dangerous for their little noggins as bikes and often up the top of ramps etc.

My little man (almost 3) is nuts on his scooter and very confident. I worry at the skate park as there are so many big kids. but he just flies around without a care like hes one of the big boys.

My 8yr old has been through a couple of scooters so we are going up to MGP, which you can get for $90 at the cheapest. but they are made more solid than the $30 ones. hopefully it will last longer this time.   He never wears a helmet.
Time I started enforcing the helmet wearing
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2012 at 2:28pm
We have decided on what ones to get...& are going with MGP.

Kmart has the MGP Pro scooters for $69, saving $30 they are for 8+ but we are going to get the 6.5yr old one also since they are sturdy & well made, they also have interchangeable parts which is pretty cool.

Kmart sale on from 29/10 to 21/11 so will do that next week.
 Post Reply Post Reply