FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMoney!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Money!!
    Posted: 10 May 2010 at 6:51pm
I am so upset. DH has just told me that he has $50 left until next Thursday!! How are we going to live??

He is on a very good wage, and we live in a very nice house, but when it comes to pay day, most of the money goes on the mortgage and bills and we hardly have any money for anything else.

I know that things will get better, just going through a rough patch Sorry for the rant!
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 6:59pm
Have you considered a slight downgrade house wise?

DH finds living on a tight budget very difficult. I don't enjoy it but I get over it as I lived as a poor ass student. Hes never really had to do it so struggles with not being able to buy what he wants...

So we are looking around so we can sell this house and have a slight downgrade kinda. We want a place that isn't smaller but is something that isn't so attractive. Then we can add value and have a smaller mortgage. That is the plan anyhow. We are doing a lot of research first to make sure we can do what we want with our little plan before going on the market though.

Being a slave to the mortgage is not cool.
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 7:03pm
We have a week or two like that every now and again. Its hard but I actually enjoy the challenge but only because its not that often
Lisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 7:09pm
Ok - We have a wee bit more than $50, thank god. And have gone down to one wage as I had a job for 5 months - the extra money was great!

Not downsizing, as we were very lucky to get this house!

I suppose it will be good for us too Peanut. Challenging as you say
LJsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 7:51pm
the book by sophie gray- the destitute gourmet, called " live well spend less " has lots of great tips to live on next to nothing. I'm reading it at the moment and have got lots of good money saving ideas from it.

We hardly have any disposble cash left after the mortage and bills are paid as well. It's hard but worth it, to be a SAHM
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 8:19pm
Hugs Lisha!

Before I went back to work and our mortgage refixed we lived off such a meager amount of disposable income, it was all variations of bread and soup for dinner and we were raiding the piggybank where all the change goes for milk etc. I do think these times make you appreciate the money you have more though, and realise that it's important to know where it's going
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 8:41pm
I agree, we have recently decided for me to be a SAHM and I'm looking forward to the challenge of living off one income! Anything to be at home with my little man!

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 8:49pm
There are a few times when we have more month than money as most of our money goes on the mortgage and bills too. That's just life... I'm happy to go without fancy clothes and new shoes in order to have a lovely home and time to spend at home once the baby comes.

I am a creative cook and can whip a nutricious tasty meal from basic ingredients.

Thing is its not forever, I will go back to work and by the time the kids are school aged I'll most likely be almost full time having that extra wage is where all the extras come from.
Its these early years when things are difficult my parents went through it and so will we, its how it is.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:26pm
Have a look at the simple savings website & have a read about the $21 challenge, some says it's crap but if you do a stock take of your fridge, freezer & pantry you'll be surprised what you can find.

I haven't shopped for a few weeks & I just spent a whooping $78 on shopping today!

Also have a look at Babes Fantastic tips. I swear by the dishwashing liquid for jazzing up cheap & nasty dishwashing liquid. I use her no knead bread, I bake fabulous chocolate cakes for morning tea.

Living waiting for money to come in sucks at least I know I can always whip something up I always have money set aside in the bill account so if a bill comes in I know that money is there, so nice not to have to worry about that side of things
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:38pm
We have been like that for a while now, which was fine to be a SAHM you make sacrifices.
But DH work made him take unpiad days off last year and just recently which has taken a toll
We're looking at downgrading/sizing our house and mortgage now.

Although I did a meal plan recently and we savied $60 on groceries last fortnight.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:47pm
it would depend on what you need to get with the $50... if thats whats left after the bills and food and rent then you are sweet - thats heaps. and even if you need that for food thats heaps for a week too.

Lisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 9:56pm
Thanks for all of your tips! Will have a look at that website and maybe we should make a meal plan for the week
 Post Reply Post Reply