FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMums supporting each other

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2013 at 8:39am
Minny one of the lactation consultants also said 1 x supermarket ibprofen is recommended to manage any early stage inflammation as well. I also love a really cold hand towel after expressing. And water water water :)

Do you express after the shower...? that also works really well for me. I am having fluctuations in my amounts at the moment, and I wonder if it is because of the feeds our wee man has...I was pretty stable before then.

Yay for no monitors. We were so stoked when our man had his drip out, then oxygen stats. I am pretty sure they stay on the 'angel pad' until they are out.

Hoping we can move to four hourly feeds soon...time to go and find out :)
Sponsored Links

Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2013 at 4:44pm
Peppermint, my amounts fluctuate quite alot too. I als get at least 10 - 20ml more out of one side. Am wondering if that's normal?

My growing boy put on 115g since Wednesday. He is now 1475g! My little porkpie!!!! The target of 1800g to get out of the incubator really doesn't seem too far away, he is even looking chubbier all round.

Angel pad.... yes, that is the word. Could not think of what it was called under than an under matress thingy! lol. My clever boy hasn't set his off once in 24hours! Such a proud mumma here!!

Code snippet: PseudoHTML, UBBCode™ and BBCode. Used on most forums.

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2013 at 7:27pm
Yeah mine is about 30-40ml different, some times even more. I am going to ask about it tonight. I have been told my all the lactation people that babies often have a 'favourite' and that it is normal, but, it wasn't that bad before. My overall supply seems to be dropping a little too, so I might look in to a supplement.

Next feed I am going to put our man on my 'low' side again, as they said baby sucking is WAY more effective at draining a breast, to see if that helps increase supply as well. Even though I am oversupplying at the moment, we are really concentrating on feeding and weight gain, so I want it there for him :)

YAY for Marty's weight gain, awesome little eater hey :) It is so cool when they are out of the incubator!
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2013 at 8:08pm
Isaac has his favourite side already, and it's not the low side! Lately I have been putting him on the other side but I guess won't see much change until he is actually able to draw milk.

Lol @ Marty! Marty belongs to JD! Haha... But he has awesome weight gain too!

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2013 at 11:34pm
DAMN IT...I thought that whole post had been JD's. SORRY MINNY AND ISSAC... :)

Call that new-mum-brain. I am shattered. This hospital visiting thing is hard!

I am pleased though as the last few days, my boys' feed schedules have changed due to timings of a few feeds, and this had really mucked with my routine and expressing schedule. We sat down and made a weight gain plan with one of the nurses, and got times back on track for when we can best manage them, and I am much happier. Just hopefully can get back in to my routine too...
JacquiDuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 6:03pm
Marty's first bath tonight - Hamish is doing it... without me there!  I'm really trying to make sure that Hamish is doing some of the 'big' things, and having time with Marty without me there looking over his shoulder.  It was really hard making myself stay at home when he left for the hospital, but I'd already spent 5 hours there today, and had SO much to do at home.    I know I'm doing the right thing for Hamish, but its so hard to stand back sometimes!

How is everyone today?
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 8:28pm

haha Peppermint! All good. You have a very valid excuse!

JD, so exciting for Marty's first bath, and you are very strong letting hubby do it on his own. It is totally the right thing to do but so hard. I often feel that I hover over Kane when he is at the NICU... although he is really not confident holding him so that makes me worse!

I had a really good day with Isaac today. the nurses overheard me telling my MW today that I have been left to latch Isaac on my own, and he didnt seem to be making any progress, so when I did latch him after his carse they came in to help. It was strange just sitting back and letting them latch him, but I got to realy observe and understand what I was doing wrong. The BEST thing was that Isaac really got the hang of it and took a massive drink. I was SO excited, I could have squealed with delight!

The other nurse held his feed so he got to fully experience that sucking means a full tummy. Can't wait for tomorrow now so I can do it all again! I am so greatful to those two nurses!

Afterward though he was so cute, completely knackered and fast asleep while I gave him a little wind. Made my heart melt!

They said he will go to three hourly feeds on Wednesday after weighing, if he goes over 1500g. Given that he's 1475 and generally puts on around 60g between Sunday and Wednesday it's most likely going to happen. It feels like another big milestone coming up!

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 6:14pm
Good work on letting Hamish take that role Jacqui...very brave. And by no means in the view that he wouldn't manage, but by being able to stay away!

I have to admit we have the 'easier' end of the stick in this in the sense the mum comes first...but that is an heck lot of pressure, so nice to share the load. Particularly when the journey is not likely to be short.

Well done Issac and Minny on some great latching. Everything I read talks about a good latch, so having it from very early on is no doubt key.

As for us, big shift to cranking my boys breast feeds, and he is responding well, working hard, and putting on great weight. Not only is he great with the feeds off me, but is tolerating an increased amount through his tube when I am not there. I really feel for my partner though, as he doesn't have a huge role at the moment. I know he finds it hard when there is nothing for him to do...I just thank him so much for his fantastic support in helping me cope with the pressure!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 7:59pm
So I was given a bit of info today about when Marty eventually comes home.  He got his innoculations done while having cuddles, and the nurse who did it was an older, obviously senior one.  She told me that Marty has chronic lung disease (no-one else has mentioned this), and its going to take about 2 years for him to come right for that, as well as catching up on growth/weight etc.  So we are going to have to be very careful with who gets to touch him, only a select few, such as my and hamish's parents will be able to have cuddles with him.  Anyone else will have to stay a metre away, just slowely introducing him to other people/germs.  So bye bye coffee group, play group, perhaps even kindy!  No taking marty to anywhere with lots of people, such as malls, family functions etc.  We have to get a dvs and heat system into the house to keep away the damp and maintain temperature.  So definitely NOT like taking a full term baby home!  Have you ladies been told any of this stuff?  
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 9:03pm
JD, that doesn't sound good. Have you spoken to a doctor. I would think news like that would come from a doctor rather than a nurse. I hope you can get some info from them, and enough support to get your boy home soon. Would they know what caused the lung issues other than being born early?

I haven't been given any information at all about what will happen when Isaac comes home. Although I did have to call the Plunket nurse today as she as wanting to come and do a home health check on Isaac and she said I will get support from the NICU when I go home? Really have no idea.

A new baby boy was admitted into Isaac's room today. I overheard the doctors telling the dad that the boy's genitals had not formed properly. I was quite upset by his reaction, he was sitting there making jokes. I can only hope it was a coping mechanism, rather than the callous attitude that came across. I have been feeling quite upset about it all day.

I was actually wondering about the six week jabs. I must check with the NICU if they will give Isaac his. I was reminded with a card from the doctors today but obviously he won't be home in time for them.

ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2013 at 11:02pm
wow JD, that is a bombshell, and an while heap of information to take in! I would definitely recommend talking to the doctor about this, and getting armed with as much information as you can. One thing I have noticed, is all the nurses have different practices / preferences / ideas, so it might be worth getting things clarified.

Also, you have a while before home for Marty to make some mighty progress :)

We have not really talked about 'do's and don'ts' too much for when we get home, as we are still working through the plan to get him to that stage. I am personally very keen to stay pretty isolated regardless, as I want to minimise nasties until he is all vaccined. Also, we have been told he will need a lot more sleep than a term baby, so I want to minimise unnecessary handling etc.
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 7:45am
Peppermint, I have been thinking along the same lines. It will be so hard to keep people away though, but I will have to deal with visitors on a case by case basis, and apart from his cousins, don't really want too many children around. It is my mission to keep him free from colds and nasties for as long as possible.

I am already taking vitamin C and multivitamins and will just continue these through winter and hope they keep the bugs at bay.

JD, I really hope you get some definite answers today, and that Martys lungs can only improve while you are in the NICU. You have my number if you need to talk. Good luck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 7:38pm
So I've done some research, and it really sounds like all that I was told was very valid!  Because Marty is such a tiny prem, he will probably have more restrictions then the older born prems.  So this really will be the time for mega defensive, protective Mamma to rear her head.  I may need to do more virtual coffees with other mums then coffee groups for a while.  Marty may need to be on oxygen when he goes home, which would restrict my movements with him greatly.  I have been warned that the first few months at home with him may seem very isolating, but it will be worth it to have him home =-)  I guess I really just will have to wait and see how Marty is as to how things will be - he's the boss!
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 7:53pm
JD, I know that babies born under 1kg can have their own sets of challenges. I hope that the restrictive time at home will not be too long, and you can take your lovely boy out and show him off. I will always be available for a virtual coffee with you!

I asked the nurses today about Isaac's lungs, as often he breathes very deeply and looks like he's struggling. Apparently as he was under 1 kilo, even with steroids they can have lung issues, although he seems to only do this after a feed, and very soon will revert back so they aren't too worried. I can fully understand why there would be issues with Martys lungs.

My boy got weighed today and put on a massive 80g since Sunday so he now weighs 1555g. He has moved to three hourly feeds and increased his amount from 20ml to a massive 31ml. I was very careful giving him his feed today so that he didn't spill. It was so cute to see him afterward, absolutely full and unable to keep his eyes open, no matter how high he lifted his eyebrows! The little things that can make my heart melt! At that rate if weight gain he will be out if the incubator by the end of next week. I can't wait!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 8:28pm
Minny thatss such awesome news about Isaacs weight gain!  Marty's main issues with d-sats are after feeds too - so must just be that they're so full and sleepy =-)

Hmm, can you Skype multiple people at once?  We could be onto something with this virtual coffee thing, virtual coffee groups could be the answer for many isolated preemie mums!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2013 at 8:33pm
Oh yeah, 'The baby's room' have got a 50% sale off everything, including mokopuna merino if you enter the code FIFTY.  There's alimited amount of prem options, but I stocked up on NB size as Marty will probably be able to wear that for a while =-)

https://www.thebabysroom.co.nz

happy shopping =-)
Minny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2013 at 7:24am
JD, I think you must be able to conference call on Skype. Will have to google it!

Thanks for the heads up in that sale. I love mokopuna! Am in two minds to get anything though as we have been given so much stuff. I have one very spoilt little boy! I have already run out of thank you cards and have had to get some more printed!

Kane won't be happy with me spending but I might accidentally get one of two merino bodysuits......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2013 at 8:24am
Yeah I figured it was worth it as I want Marty to pretty much be living in merino over winter.  I am also lucky enough to have a VERY generous mum who loves spending money on her grandson.  Marty is now set up for the winter =-)
ginger22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginger22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2013 at 9:03am
So funny...I was going to post about the sale :)
JD I hate to hear about possibly being isolated post discharge home, and more of a journey for you and Marty. I hope you get lots more information and advice, and of course Marty will make awesome gains before home :)

As for us...I am sleeping in with my man as of last night to start demand feeding, with 20ml top ups. A 40g weight loss last night, but no one is concerned as that is 'par for the course' when such big changes are made. So, a few more nights in here demand feeding, and I might just be taking my star home. Fingers crossed for me ladies!

I will also be in a virtual coffee dates :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacquiDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2013 at 7:41pm
Peppermint thats such amazing news!  I'm so happy for you!

Marty passed 1800g today, and is sitting at 1822!  So proud of my wee trooper, he's come so far!
I spent all day at the hospital with Marty today, was just awesome.

How was everyone elses day?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>