FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhome loans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: home loans
    Posted: 03 August 2008 at 4:52pm
Has anyone here got a no deposit home loan??
Who through??
was it hard?? etc

and in general (not the no deposit thing) who do you think is the best place to get a home loan through??
Sponsored Links

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 5:11pm
My first house we purchased no deposit .. although we had the house built and the company offered it.

You borrowed the deposit from one company and the balance with the bank.

Was OK but I wouldnt do it at todays interest rates.

Oh and it wasnt hard .. although (ex) DH earnt over there lending criteria alone

Through provincial finance (if I recall rightly)
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 5:56pm
Lending criteria is tightening up at the moment with the current economic climate! My BIL and I work for the same bank (he is a mobile lender) and he had mentioned that he is having to turn away customers that we would have given mortgages to this time last year.

That said, as long as your income is greater than your outgoings by the required percentage (not sure what it is at the moment, and is varying greatly between the banks right now) you will be fine...

Generally speaking, the no deposit loans will have much tougher lending criteria... if you want you can PM me and I can put you in touch with a mobile lender in your area. These guys do it all day and will be able to answer all your questions.

If it was me, I would ring around the banks and have a chat to them all, it cant hurt and they all have people who can come to you at a time that suits you.

For who is best, I think that is a personal thing. Everyone has had good and bad experiences with particular banks but at the end of the day they all offer relatively similar products with relatively similar fees... The best experience with the best fees will always win out in the end IMO.

Good luck, very exciting!

kezplanet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kezplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 5:57pm

I don't know anything about the no deposit side of things.  The 1st time we applied we went thru a morgatge broker, one of mike pero's people which took a lot of the pressure and worry out of things, I was pregnant at the time and very disorganised and I handled the finances.  The 1st time it was with Soverign which is under ASB.  Just recently I refinanced thru Kiwi Bank as this is who I do most of our banking thru, they gave me a person to work with so it was more personal & I didn't have to go into a branch other than to get identification signed.  Their rates were alot cheaper than all the other banks even on revolving/floating. 

If you are borrowing more than 80% then you will also need to have a lenders morgatage insurance, and will possibly need to have life insurance but they will let you know what add-ons there might be.

Good luck!!

Kerryn, Mum to
Ashlyn(29/3/04), Anastasia(1/11/05) & Abigail (24/02/09)
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 7:15pm
We did 100% lending, it was all organised through Mike Pero and then we dealt directly with SBS once it was all arranged (to sign the papers etc.). It was a Welcome Home Loan though, so not sure if that's what you're after. All of our dealings with SBS have been fantastic, we have our own personal banker who's great.
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 10:25am
I was thinking of going to have a chat with some banks but we are not quite in the position to buy yet ( I want to pay off the last of our bills which is about another year) although ideally i would love to own our own home right now!.

So Mike Pero sounds like the way to go??

and yes i want the no deposit thingy.

minik8e was it recently that you got your loan? was their lending criteria pretty strict??

Im just worried because someone we know applied for the no deposit home loan for a house worth under $150000 and they got turned away! which we never thought they would!
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 10:35am

It does have to do with your income as well, and you need to have about 40% of your income to cover the mortgage, anymore and it gets a bit risky. I was talking to our bank the other day and we are looking at a top up (to consolidate bills) and the banking advisor said it would tip us to about 60% of our income so we would be best to wait till I got a job so it was a lower percentage and a lot more likely to get it.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
BaAsKa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaAsKa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 10:52am
I went on those calculator thingys to see if i would possibly be eligible and how much for and that was all good! it said we could poss get alot more than we are wanting. Our bank manager told us that any bank would look at our credit card and say "get rid of that first" which is what we are doing (only have a few months left on it).

Even so im still worried we will NEVER be able to buy without some type of miracle its good to hear other people in our circumstances are getting them though..
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 11:20am
Ooops, just seen your question! We got ours in February this year. It was quite easy actually, although I'm somewhat familiar with the process because of work experience. We had to make sure we had bank statements for the last 3 months for all accounts, payslips for the last 3 pay periods I think for each of us, show details of any debt (ie. DF's credit card, which has a $500 limit so was ok), ummmmm......I think that was it? We also had a couple of blips on our credit history which we had to pay off and provide written evidence of.

We started the process before we found a house, and got approval up to a certain amount ($210K) which was 45% our our after tax income and then went house shopping. Once we had signed up the agreement (which was subject to finance) we had to send through a copy of the agreement, and organise a valuation for the property ($450) before we could get the actual written approval. Once that was all done, they sent out all the mortgage docs etc and we dealt with it through our solicitor - but SBS rang us a few times to check we were all good. We didn't end up borrowing the full amount of the pre-approval either.

The interest rates have gone down a bit since then too. Mike Pero is quite good, or you can approach banks directly - SBS is fantastic, and I can give you the phone number for our banking consultant at SBS who may be able to give you more info.
Shorty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 11:34am
We just re financed this year with NZ Home Loans.
It is through a friend that we heard about them and they have used them for over 5 years and still swear by them.

We went from just being a number at ANZ, to meaning something to NZHL.
I serioulsy think you need to shop around, we originally used Mike Pero, but they will only deal with the banks they give them commission, that is how they are a free serive.( I am talking from when we did it with them 5 years ago) I found dealing direct with the banks this time was just as easy.
If you have the time I would reccommend doing it alone, otherwise they are good.

kezplanet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kezplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 12:15pm
We used mike pero but there are alot of different brokers out there, as shorty said they will only offer banks that give them commission so if you dont get a deal that you want try others till you get something your happy with.  Also with debt that you are paying off at the moment you can also apply now and pay them off at the time of your settlement, some will actually stipulate that on recieving the loan you need to pay bill/credit card/debt off and provide proof  of payment/cancellation.
Kerryn, Mum to
Ashlyn(29/3/04), Anastasia(1/11/05) & Abigail (24/02/09)
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 12:50pm
I've heard awesome things about NZHL as well, but you have to be VERY strict and good with your budgeting because it's basically revolving credit isn't it? So there's no real set payments that you make and that is it - you have to continually watch it.
Shorty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 2:10pm
We find NZHL fantastic!
Yes we have a budget, but it is the same as having a loan with any bank your repayment is a set amount each week,fortnight or month.

The budget is up to you how it is set, and it is set so you CAN still live. Gosh i sure have the last 2 motnhs and need to get back on track.

It is similar to Revolving credit but is not the same.
With NZHL you "channel" your income into the account, so you are only paying interest on the current balance, not the whole amount, hence saving you many years and interest in the long run.

We live as much as possible on our credit card and pay that once a month, so our day to day living is not taken from our account, saving us interest on it. We still have a eftpos card and can use it, but like to use credit card, we do not pay any interest on our purchases as we have a set up to pay the amount the day it is due.

We have gone from a 25 year mortgage to 13 years just by changing our bank. We have no increased our payments just the way we pay it

Shorty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 2:11pm
lol what a novel sorry
I must be passionate about NZHL

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 2:47pm
Hehehe, it is great for some people!! We personally couldn't do it, we're not strict enough (and don't want a credit card!!!). In saying that though, we have reduced our term from 30 years to 21 years by making our fortnightly payments half the monthly payment, instead of actual calculated fortnightly payments....means we make an extra 2 payments a year (which doesn't sound like much, but is actually an extra month) which is how we knocked 9 years off ours.
jodie153248 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jodie153248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2015 at 8:37pm
Hey we are thinking of going with NZ Home Loans but they sound to good to be true. Are you still happy with them??
Mushroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mushroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2015 at 9:05pm
Looking at their interest rates I wouldn't recommend them. So unless there is a specific reason, you tend to be better off going straight to the bank.
Good way to structure your mortgage - fix the total amount you need at the best rate you can get (around 1 yr fixed currently, and since interest rates are likely to stay low a while no point paying more by fixing longer at this stage - only fix for longer periods if you're pretty sure the interest rates are going to go up and you want security).
In addition to the fixed part though, also get around $20k revolving credit/flexi loan (that you don't need, but sits like a giant approved overdraft). That way you don't keep any money sitting in a savings account (better to put any savings into having a smaller fixed mortgage), but you have access to $20k for anything you might have needed your savings for (replacement cars, random other large expenses etc).

Generally you want to budget so that whatever extra cash you have each month after paying normal expenses goes into the mortgage.

For first-time mortgages, they're generally the most tight for cash you'll ever be - first 5 years are always the hardest. Generally you just pay the minimum of the bank requirements, and that is all you can afford to pay in. After this though, each time you refix, you keep the payments the same (having paid some off the requirement payments go down over time) - so you end up paying it faster and faster. Inflation means salary/wages slowly go up each year or so, and the mortgage slowly goes down, which is why after 5 years of paying it off and earning a bit more money it gets much easier!
Me: 35, PCOS, endo, DH: 34, severe MFI
6+ yrs TTC#2
M/C 2012, clomid 2013, IVM 2014, IVF 2015, M/C 2015
2016 FET#1- BFP - MMC - Emergency D&C
FET#2 - BFN
Jul 16 - stage 3 endo removed.
Oct 16 BFP
hendry269687 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hendry269687 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2021 at 9:39am
Extremely sorry, I don't have information about it. Many people reply that it is a good thing. but you have to take the advice from an expert. You can also click here to read more about loans and mortgages etc. Thank you

Edited by hendry269687 - 08 September 2021 at 9:42am
 Post Reply Post Reply