FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGarage sale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JessDub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garage sale
    Posted: 24 September 2010 at 8:02am
We're moving house and have lots of stuff that could be another person's treasure so we're going to have a garage sale next weekend .

I'm wondering how much change I should have on hand and whether we price things or just ask people to make an offer?

It's been about 15 years since I've even been to a GS - are buyers more choosy about the quality of stuff do you think?

Sponsored Links

JD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 2:52pm
If its big stuff, then I would price it. Keep the pricing very simple and be prepared for low offers from people.
YOu could do fill a bag for $1, $2, $5 or something like that.

They can be pretty full on, so maybe having someone to help keep an eye on things would be good.

If you are wanting to make a bit of cash also, having a sausage sizzle at the same time is quite a good money maker!

We have had a few and I didn't have that much change on me...we pretty much just accepted whatever people had in their wallet or whatever they offered.

Good luck

kiwikid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwikid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 6:42pm
I'd get a float of some kind, $20 in change maybe and great idea to have some helpers just keeping an eye out for goings on and two people able to sell / make decisions... and someone else on tea and toast duty!

I'd put things like kids toys or clothes in a box labled 'All Items $1' for eg, I remember the pricing used to take Mum hours the night before!

HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 7:13pm
We usually have about $20 - $30 in coins - some people pay in notes for things that dont cost much! We had a garage sale a few months ago and wanted to get rid of stuff so priced everything really cheap and made about $500. Clothes, towels etc were $1 and we had a few bigger things like a heater, couch which we charged more for.

It is so full on, when we opened our garage door at 7am on a freezing cold winters morning there were about 10 people that ran in and grabbed armfuls of stuff - scary!! I usually get my mum or sis to help out and its heaps of fun.

Post Reply Post Reply