FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWould you take a newborn camping?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blondie_2010 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondie_2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Would you take a newborn camping?
    Posted: 27 December 2011 at 4:32pm
Hi there,

Not sure if this is in the right section but we are planning our next baby and we have a camping trip already booked for next Xmas/NY holiday...if everything goes to plan we would have a newborn...are we crazy considering this? Has anyone gone camping with a baby under 2 months successfully?

Thanks in advance :)
Sponsored Links

freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2011 at 7:17pm
Nah you're not crazy - much easier with a little baby than a toddler I tell ya! We did a 2 week road trip with a 3 day old baby after the Feb earthquakes and it was fine! it would be harder if you're bottle feeding, but breastfeed babies don't need much at all... we take the kids camping every year, they LOVE it! so may as well start them young lol
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondie_2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2012 at 2:06pm
Thanks freckle :)

Can't believe over 100 people have read this and only you replied, lol!
Pepi-bebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepi-bebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2012 at 10:33pm
Haha, yep none of us replied eh? My lack of response was out of inexperience. However, I bet all 100 of us would like to know how it went!

Oct 11 & Mar 12
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 8:28pm
Yep we took DD1 camping at 7 weeks old. Was easy peasy, she slept wonderfully too.
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 8:49pm
I probably could have coped with a newborn, but after my first baby, I wasn't up to much physically at least 6-8 weeks after birth, due to the trauma to my delicate bits! TMI but I got a nasty infection in my episiotomy that was so painful I could barely walk. Not to mention I bled heavily for the first 6 weeks which wouldn't have been fun when camping either. Just something else to consider.

But I'd just go ahead and see what happens. You never know how long TTC will take anyway. And if you end up cancelling your holiday, what better reason than a gorgeous new baby?
InthemiddleMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2012 at 8:10pm
I had a c/s and took baby camping at 10wks wouldnt have handled it earlier than 7wks old I reckon, just with the packing up & down to the toilet block etc quite physical is camping, and also wouldnt want to go with a baby waking more than once a night.

It went fine we have a campervan and took off the cushion on the booth seat that folds down to the bed and put basinette on there so he slept hovering above our feet (I gues it depends on type of basinette you have to weather you can do this. Also Took Miss 5 and Miss3 camping. the first night he woke at 4am didnt wake the girls, rest the nights he slept thru. We are heading away again tomorrow, its been fun.

We took pram and front pack, during day he slept mostly in pram, i never used the front pack.

for wiping bottom I used a thermos to warm up the wipes dip them in the cup part. disposable change mats a rip of but essential, trying to think of other tips.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondie_2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2012 at 8:57am
Thanks for the awesome info guys! And you're right T Rex, it could take us awhile as the first time took quite some time and we ended up using clomid so I might just be heavily preggy instead! lol
 Post Reply Post Reply