FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPaula Bennett

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 2:21pm
neeandsam - I am not sure that this is being directed at you but I can fully understand why you would feel like it is and hence can understand your reaction above... but then you are in a different situation to the woman we are discussing in that you are getting on with your life and not moaning and going public with your plight in a "woe is me" situation. So yes your info should be private but in the situation with these woman they have chosen to make aspects of their lives public and therefore I personally believe that the public has the right to know the fully situation.

I can't understand why they shouldn't have to get a loan. much like everyone else has too - I want a journalist to ask them that question and see what their response to that it as haven't heard that question being asked. I think unfortunately with Paul Bennett realeasing the info the actually core problem is not being addressed, just the privacy issue when I would like to hear some responses on the core issue.

Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 2:23pm
ah see now we are all jumping to conclusions... we are assuming that she got a laptop for free, not that she might have saved and budgeted... or is that not something that beneficiaries do?! ( )

i dont know anything about the TIA but do know that being able to question our government without recriminations and being treated fairly and equally were two things i thought we could do as a nation.

Its not an us and them thing going on... there are many entitlements out there - childcare, accomodation, funeral grants, student loans, tax rebates, WFF, Parental tax credit, paid maternity leave etc... at some stage in our lives we might have to take advantage of one or some of these...so how would you feel if you were told you couldnt and when you questioned why your income was broadcast to the whole country?

oh and as an aside - must say renee i have never seen you so eloquent before !

kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Peanut Peanut wrote:

I can't understand why they shouldn't have to get a loan. much like everyone else has too - I want a journalist to ask them that question and see what their response to that it as haven't heard that question being asked. I think unfortunately with Paul Bennett realeasing the info the actually core problem is not being addressed, just the privacy issue when I would like to hear some responses on the core issue.

I agree with you Peanut, that's why I think it's a shame Paula Bennett released the info because now the issue has become "privacy" rather than the TIA.

I'm not sure why they can't get loans either - especially when one of the justifications for having student loans (vs free tertiary education) is that people will be able to pay them off because they will go into well-paying jobs. But as I said before, I'm not sure of the ins and outs of the TIA and whether it's additional to current benefits and whether there are any strings attached.
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 2:25pm
I am not really interested how much people get on benifits, BUT when it is thrown in my face I will have my say. I would love to get $700 a week for staying home, but I don't. I don't get money when my kids are sick & have on going issues, my DH is studing & working full time, & we pay for it all ourselves & will keep paying.

Benifits are always going to be a hot topic.
Parki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Febgirl Febgirl wrote:

[QUOTE=Parki]
Public money should equal public knowledge.

I don't believe individual benefits received counts as 'public money' in this context. /QUOTE]

Well, it is 'public money' in this case.
It is money generated by the tax payer (The public) and paid by the Government. It is not money they have 'earnt' personally.

At the end of that day, these two woman drew public attention to the situation initially and as Paula Bennet said she wanted to make sure everyone knew the facts and that it was a rounded out arguement which I totally agree with!

It is easy to sit there and complain that they are not receiving enough benefits and get the sympathy vote etc when everyone thinks they are on a possibly minimal benefit, but I think it sheds a new and more realistic light on the situation now that people can see just how much some people actually get on while on the benefit.

If I was in the position where I was getting a benefit I would have no issue having it public knowledge.
They inform the public how much funding goes into everything else in NZ, why is this different?

Parki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by jazzy jazzy wrote:

I am not really interested how much people get on benifits, BUT when it is thrown in my face I will have my say. I would love to get $700 a week for staying home, but I don't. I don't get money when my kids are sick & have on going issues, my DH is studing & working full time, & we pay for it all ourselves & will keep paying.

Benifits are always going to be a hot topic.

100% agreed.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 2:32pm
but parki they werent just complaining for them but everyone who will be affected by the TIA changes... and i dont know if they did say oh woe is me! more like bugger, thats put a spanner in the works!

Paula Bennett made it personal, those two women werent personally attacking anyone but rather questioning the changes to the TIA.

Febgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Febgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Parki Parki wrote:

They inform the public how much funding goes into everything else in NZ, why is this different?

Because as I understand it (although I could be wrong) there are privacy laws preventing this sort of information being made public without the express permission of the person in question. By breaking the law, the minister is playing dirty to make a point - and that's the issue I have with this whole thing.   
Two little girls under 2!

Parki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 2:37pm
Bizzy - But by making it public they have opened themsleves up for things like this to happen.

There are many things I'm sure we all complain about, but you don't make it public without expecting some sort of backlash.

I fully agree with Paula Bennet has done. She has stated facts so that NZ has a full picture and can therefore draw a fair conclusion and there is nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

As above Febgirl - If there is in fact a privacy law that has been breached then that is an issue but as far as I knew there hadn't been? (Could be wrong)

Edited by Parki
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 2:38pm

At the end of that day, these two woman drew public attention to the situation initially and as Paula Bennet said she wanted to make sure everyone knew the facts and that it was a rounded out arguement which I totally agree with!

It is easy to sit there and complain that they are not receiving enough benefits and get the sympathy vote etc when everyone thinks they are on a possibly minimal benefit, but I think it sheds a new and more realistic light on the situation now that people can see just how much some people actually get on while on the benefit.

If I was in the position where I was getting a benefit I would have no issue having it public knowledge.

OK but what if they were complaining about some other area of goverment spending. Would that mean you're happy to have your income announced to the public?

Paula Bennett says she wanted the argument to be more rounded. Perhaps. But the cynic in me reckons she knew EXACTLY what the public response would be to these women getting a decent chunk of money each week from a benefit. Everyone is outraged and wonders why they get so much for "doing nothing" when we all work so hard and don't get a handout.

And in amongst those feelings, the actual "argument" has been lost and we don't know any more about why the TIA has been cut or why it perhaps shouldn't be.
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 2:39pm
i havent read all the replies but IMO if you are going to go public about something you should expect your background/circumstances to be dug into. I havent really followed it all but i think those details should have been released.

SIT is free on some courses but is only a polytech and everyone should be entitled to a student loan to pay back. Heaps of people move here or distance learn through SIT. Education isnt a right you work for it and i believe entry requirements should be the same for everyone regardless of age, circumstance or race.

I dont agree with how student allowances are worked out on parents or partners income and living costs that you pay back are also a crock it doesnt matter if you have kids or not if you chose to study money is going to be tight. If students can get by on $150 a week to pay for EVERYTHING then surely she can budget on $700 a week or maybe wait until the kids start school to study.

The whole family benefits system is a crock as well im better off not working and collecting $214 a fortnight than going to work and paying childcare and getting nothing because it works out the same amount. Sorry off topic i think but how stupid is that!! With the childcare subsidy we could get (worked out online) we can only afford to put josh in daycare if i dont work and if i do work and dont qualify for a subsidy it would be about half of my wage!

Also my auntie and uncle separated and my cousin is staying with her dad who earns massive amounts a year but my auntie still has to pay child support even tho she is on the bones of her ass and can barely afford to put food on the table.

The whole benefits systems need to be review
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Febgirl Febgirl wrote:

Because as I understand it (although I could be wrong) there are privacy laws preventing this sort of information being made public without the express permission of the person in question. By breaking the law, the minister is playing dirty to make a point - and that's the issue I have with this whole thing.   

My understanding is the same Febgirl. Staff at WINZ/IRD aren't allowed to give that sort of info out to anyone other than the beneficiary. If an MP can make benefit info public then what's stopping them making other information public when they need to "round out an argument."

SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 2:53pm
I came across this before

Wednesday, 29 July 2009 - 4:06am
NZPA political reporters

Wellington, July 29 NZPA - Social Development Minister Paula Bennett says she's ready to talk to two solo mothers at the centre of a privacy row but she isn't going to apologise for releasing details of their welfare payments.

Labour has complained to Privacy Commissioner Marie Schroff about Ms Bennett's action, which was in response to the women publicly criticising the Government's decision to scrap the training incentive allowance (TIA).

Ms Bennett revealed that Natasha Fuller was receiving $715 a week and Jennifer Johnston $554 a week.

Ms Fuller says that without the TIA's $28 a week she won't be able to finish courses and get a job.

I am sure she could find $28 a week to finish her training.
We have to give up things all the time to get something we want.
surfergirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 3:33pm

Bizzy - But by making it public they have opened themsleves up for things like this to happen.

I totally disagree. I do NOT think that if I complain about something (anything!) it gives someone in a position of power and knowledge (Paula Bennett) any right to disclose information about me or my finances.

For example, I could say (but I'm not) that I pay good taxes and I'm unhappy with the state funded services I've recieved during my pregnancy. This does not give anyone the right to access my IRD records, discover how much tax I paid and then release to the media..."Surfergirl cannot complain, she only paid $xxx.xx in taxes and her care has cost $yyy.yy - she should have had a better paying job or paid more tax if she wants to complain"

As far as I'm concerned I know little about the 'issue' (TIA) BUT I do think this is a gross misuse of power and knowledge. I am not impressed!

I (apparently) live in a democratic society and removing peoples right to protest/complain/disagree because of the threat of disclosure is terrible and quite frankly horrifiying. If this was happeneing somewhere else our government would have somethign to say about it.

Edited by surfergirl
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 3:46pm
Did the women in question state their income at any stage????
If they did then there is not a problem, however if they did not & the information was got by making phone calls etc, then that is different.

I think there are two issues here
-privacy
-benifits

If my family's income was made public knowledge due to my complaining about something then I would hold my head high as it was earnt by hard work & going without when needed.

So maybe the issue is pride. If these women are doing the traing to better their lives & their kids then they should be proud of that. Or is there more to this??????
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 3:53pm
surfergirl you live in New Zealand, where if you stick your head up and complain someone is bound to come along and chop it off, sad but that's the tall poppy culture we live in.

NZ hasn't been a true democracy for some time.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 5:18pm
i think it sucks that if you complain about something that the government is doing that you don't agree with, thyat your private information is released.

kinda like if i complained about the money being wasted in education and then my salary amount was released.

what ever happened to freedom of speech?

i don't think that this is about benefits at all, it's about the government playing "dirty" trying to discredit people who don't agree with them.
rachndean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachndean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 5:20pm
I really think it is a case of equal rights. It shouldnt come down to whether or not you are on a benefit to be entitled to more allowances to assist in study, it should be income tested no matter who you are.
I also think it is unfair that PB is being slammed as much as she is for fighting back, because from what I read and the interviews I saw BEFORE the information was released she was personally attacked for being a hipocrate because of her background.
I personally am grateful for every bit of assistance the government offers to try and make everyones lives easier, so if they chose to take something away because our country is fighting recession and trying to save money, who am I to publicly strongly disagree?
Once again, firm believer in equal rights!!
Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 5:26pm
i havnt read all the posts,
but when i was on the DPB i got a student loan, i didnt get the loan for living costs or student allowance but i still got a student loan to pay my fees i didnt even know about the TIA until my case manager asked how i was paying my tuition & then she told me about it.

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Bizzy Bizzy wrote:

I think Paula Bennett seems to have forgotten her roots somewhat and wonder what her reaction would have been if her income had been disclosed so publicly?!

Her income was publicly disclosed when she got into office .. it was a "rags to riches" story .. also all government mps salaries are public knowledge (and are usually released on the news each year at pay review time)

(just a random side note lol)

Also *i think* on close up last night one of the women said she didnt get a loan because she wasnt able to borrow the living allowance part and her expenses increased while studying, although I could be wrong as the item didnt interest me enough to pay too much attention to it.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>