FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI’m ready to talk.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 2:29pm
I agree with everyone else.

Just some logical advice maybe...see a lawyer re. parenting orders, GET A PROTECTION ORDER in place and once that is in place, if possible, talk to your landlord about the situation and see if you can get the locks changed (you will probably have to pay for this unfortunately), especially if he has a key to your home (is it in your sole name or joint names?).

Re. his stuff - if you can, get it to his parents, and stop paying for it, especially if it is in his sole name. Yes, you lose financially as a result, but it reduces the possibility of him turning up on your doorstep.

Good luck, and be proud of speaking up. It takes a strong person to admit it.
Sponsored Links

Jay_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 2:37pm
Renee, you are a very very brave and strong woman to be able to talk about all that has been happening to you.

I don't have a lot to add, except to say that you are doing the right thing by cutting him out of your lives. Psychological abuse is incredibly painful, and there is always the fear that it will turn violent - after all if he can do it with words then whats to stop him doing it with his fists.

Will be thinking of you and S.
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 2:55pm
You are a really strong woman to be able to speak about what has happened. You should be really proud. I ditto the comments about getting a lawyer soon. Good luck - it's not an easy road ahead but you've taken the biggest step in speaking up.
Mum to two wee boys
aussiegirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussiegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 2:57pm
What everyone has said has been great advice for you.
Take care and stay strong, you are very brave for choosing the next path to take, its the right choice for you and your son.
Thinking of you
Mum to Hayley **30.6.08
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 4:03pm
Wow Renee, some of what you have written I could have written myself. I went thru something very very similar for four years.

My advice to you is to get any trace of him out of your house and move. I think it would be best to go for interim custody of Sam while he is in Australia. Go to the Citizens Advice Bureau and use their free legal service. Also contact the IRD about Child Support.

Maybe you should also contact Womans Refuge and get some support from them and advice.

Also remember: You have done nothing wrong. Don't let him or anyone else tell you otherwise.

Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

MonicaMouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonicaMouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 4:10pm
I think the others have given you some great advice, definately keep a record of everything that has happened, and any communication that you have if you can.

I know I've only met you and Sam once, but you are doing a great job as Sam's Mum, he is such a lovely boy, and this is because of all the work and love you have put into him.

From what I've read, it's him who has a problem, but unfortunately one that you are bearing the brunt of. Speaking up takes guts!

Blair 15/10/2007
Daniel 30/07/2009
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 7:21pm
Firstly, hugs hun and well done for getting up the courage to stop him That takes guts.

With the parenting orders, basically you can apply for supervised visits etc (like with his mother present too if you trust her), which would be the most likely way to go if you are worried about him nutting off in front of Sam.

Secondly, protection order for you. It's a must have and will make your case better for getting an effective and safe parenting order in place.

Also, are you living together? Not that it matters I don't think, but in the eyes of law. seeing as you have a child together and have been in a relationship, you are entitled to half of everything. So he cannot actually take 'his' stuff out of your shared residence without agreement from you. If you choose to, you can fight for half of the stuff in your separation and relationship property agreement, but if he chooses to fight it then it will cost you so you have to weigh up the options. It really does depend how much you've contributed towards 'his' stuff and if you have receipts for the payments you have made. (I'm not a lawyer, just work for a law firm so some of what I've said could be wrong).

But yeah, I would be getting legal advice and putting things into place. Good thing is, he's over there probably thinking that you won't actually leave him so you'll be able to get into all of this before he does. Keep records of receipts, texts/emails, get friends/family to write affidavits if they've been witness to the abuse and you should be fine.

I wish you all the best chick, you and Sam deserve a life of happiness and I really hope you get it soon
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 7:55pm
Thank you everyone for your kind words of support, it really means a lot to me.

In regards to the legal stuff, I 'know' it's what I need to do, but I am somewhat apprehensive as his dad is a court registrar, his gran used to be the president of plunket nz and his whole family think I am absolutely NUTS and crazy and a liar because that is what he has told them.

I'm not really sure how to approach it because I know if I went down a legal path he would do absolutely anything he can to stick it to me right where it hurts - Sam.

He would take it as a personal insult and rally his whole family in support who will make sure he comes out on top.
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 8:35pm
Renee! first big big hugs to you and your boy.

Document document document. talk to anyone and everyone who hs seen him at his worst and get them to sign afidavits.

Next I would decide if you want him (or his family) to have contact with Sam. Is he a good dad? could he be trusted?

Ringwoman's refuge - if only for advice. 9/10 kids stay with mums - sometimes that sucks for the dad, but not in the case.

Spirals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spirals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 9:26pm
I don't have much to add - it's already been said. But I didn't want to read and run. Jsut want to send you a big hug, and congratulate on your bravery in speaking out.
You've done the best thing in removing yourself and your little boy from that environment and making the decision not to go back to it.

He may have the support of his whole family - but you have witnesses to his behaviour. No matter what he's told his family about you - none of them have actually witnessed you acting that way.
Liek others have said, you need to get this documented ASAP. A woman's refuge, a counseller, doctor, anyone in a profession who can listen to you and make notes without actually taking legal action would be a good start. Keep copies of what you've written on the forum as well.

Stay strong - you're doing great. xx

Danaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 9:43pm
Hey chick,

Been there, got the T shirt. You just described my ex to the letter.

Getting rid of his stuff is the best idea but it's not the stuff he's interested in, it's the control it allows him. If you get rid of that, it will be something else and so on. It is bst to remove anything that gives him more control.

Keep the text messages and document everything including times and dates. It's the only way the courts will help you if it comes to that. Protection orders aren't that easy to get so you need detailed info to back you up.

It will be a tough road but you are making the right steps and just stay strong. Don't allow him to manipulate you. I remember looking in the mirror and telling myself that my he was right and that I was useless and not worth anything. It got to the point where I thought my family etc would be better off if I wasn't around anymore. Very scary stuff and all of it was just so he could feel like the big tough man when he was just a nasty coward.

Put you and your son first. It's going to be a battle but I would go through what I did ten times over before i would go back. 7 years later i'm married, pregnant and can't believe I wasted so much time on the ex and allowed him to victimize me. These things only become clear when your out the other side.
Bubbaloo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubbaloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 10:11pm
Renee everyone has pretty much said what I was going to say just wanted to let know I am thinking of you.

Was danni-chick

Mum to James

My Angel 28/07/08
Chickaboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickaboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 11:08pm
Renee - alot of what you said could of been me and My Ex.... But I KNEW it was abuse I just took a while to get out - for good.

A protection order is so that he can't just turn up when he feels like it - I still have one in place 8 years later for my ex (although we changed it to a code of conduct so he could see child)

Get sole custody - legally of Sam. Just having looked after him all his life doesn't gve you that full custody...

Legal things aside they are the easy part - its the emotional thats not.. I wished i had taken the courts up (my ex assualted me and my DH) on the councilling but I wanted to sweep it under the carpet so to speak to get over it.

As for relationship for Sams sake- I tried that and it was what kept me going back seeing him getting abuse even after i had moved on. He eventually moved away without a word to me nor his child and its the best thing he could of done. Sam will work out himself what a loser dad he has (how sad that sounds) My advise is never speak ill of Sam's dad in front of him - although its the truth it will effect SAm. I have never talked bad to 'child' about dad and what he did etc.... 'child' worked out itself..

Huge Hugs - cause its not easy...

On an up note - there is a light at the end of the tunnel - I am now very happy married to the best Husband (although he has his times LOL) who loves 'child' like his own and we have RHylz together....

PM me if you want to talk more to someone whose been there done that (unfortuanatley)

Chickaboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickaboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by neeandsam neeandsam wrote:

Thank you everyone for your kind words of support, it really means a lot to me.

In regards to the legal stuff, I 'know' it's what I need to do, but I am somewhat apprehensive as his dad is a court registrar, his gran used to be the president of plunket nz and his whole family think I am absolutely NUTS and crazy and a liar because that is what he has told them.

I'm not really sure how to approach it because I know if I went down a legal path he would do absolutely anything he can to stick it to me right where it hurts - Sam.

He would take it as a personal insult and rally his whole family in support who will make sure he comes out on top.

Alot of the time they use the kid a a way to get to you - once they know they cant they stop. No lawyer would give him Sam -he moved to Oz and left sam here ------etc... So don't let that scare you.... but talk to a lawyer about it and voice your concerns.

WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2008 at 11:14pm
Well done for sharing your story hun

My sister was in a similar situation about 5 years ago. I agree with what everyone else has said, you definitely need to make a clean break from him, leave while you can. People around you will support you. Documentation is also really important. Keep everything!! In regards to legal advice you MUST get it!! Sorry to sound harsh but, who cares who is family is and what they might do, it isnt going to affect them, they are not going to be on the front page of the newspaper. You need to protect you and Sam! Its about you and Sam not them.

My thoughts are with you hun. Your doing a great job
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2008 at 11:28am
Hugs hun I have nothing more to add just that going to womens refuge (or even checking out the website) is a good idea. They can point you in the right direction in regards to all that legal stuff.

xxxx
sweetpea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2008 at 12:31pm
Thanks for sharing your story you are a strong women to admit that something is wrong now its time to do what is right for both you and your wee boy. I agrre with what all the other ladies have said already. get rid of his stuff, talk to courts etc. Keep his txt messages if you don't want to recieve them anymore contact your service provider and get his number blocked.

Also know that you have alot of support out there in more places than you think.
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2009 at 10:05am
I just wanted to bump this for any body out there who wants to read and feels like they need some support.
my2angels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2angels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2009 at 1:16pm
So how are you doing now Renee? Your pregnant again, are you still with the same guy?
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2009 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by my2angels my2angels wrote:

So how are you doing now Renee? Your pregnant again, are you still with the same guy?

Happy to say that I am doing really well. Sam and I are totally out of the situation.   His father still rears his ugly head from time to time, but because he is living in Australia, there isn't much he can do really.

I have a new partner who is absolutely wonderful and supportive and will never ever in a million years hurt me or let me be hurt again. And he is the father of the baby I am pregnant with now.

I am so glad I got out of the abusive relationship and stopped the cycle, god only knows where I would be right now if I had stayed with him.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>