FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedsame sex mummies to be

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
koromiko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koromiko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 4:26pm
Toes_Crossed just saw you're past 7 weeks, you must have had a scan or be having one soon, since I think that's FA standard. Best wishes for that, I hope you see a beautiful wee heartbeat.

Pepi-babe, still holding you in our thoughts. xx
Sponsored Links

toes_crossed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toes_crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2012 at 4:35pm
Hey Koromiko :)

We had our scan yesterday and saw a little heart beat. The little trooper is at the right size and date confirmed on 28th October. We were sooo excited especially because that morning I read so many sad stories of Pepi and 2 other girls miscarrying and I thought I had some spotting so cried all the way to FA...

Thanks goodness DW is so wonderful and knows just what to say! so so relieved and decided I love scans and blood tests as they at least put me at ease.

Just found our OB and first visit in 2 weeks.

How are you doing??

Pepi - thinking of you..
koromiko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koromiko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 12:13pm
toes_crossed that's great news! Yay. Yeah, I have felt hugely relieved after the scans. The 7 week one because a friend had a missed miscarriage just before we went for the scan, and I just hated the idea of keeping on hoping when it had already ended. And the 20 week one because there was a medication I couldn't come off, which has a very small risk of some birth defects, so I would have worried up until the birth otherwise. Great you've found a LMC too.

I'm doing really well (even with the leg cramps, bleeding gums, dizziness, pelvic pain and all the other fun stuff that has replaced the nausea now)!

I've just been having a look at some list of books for kids in rainbow families. Might have to get a couple. We're going to write one for our baby as well, and maybe give a copy to our nieces and nephew as well. Just before we got married last year our then 3-year-old nephew suddenly said to me in the car one day "two ladies can't get married". No idea where he got that from, certainly not from his parents! I think we cleared that up So far I haven't heard any questions from the kids about our baby having two mums... but I still think it would be cool for them to have a book with two mummies in it.

Anyway, here's one of the books. http://www.childcareexchange.com/library/5016302.pdf

I want to get this one too, it's about all different kinds of families. http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Books/Family-Book-Todd-Parr/9780316070409

Hugs to Pepi-babe, hope you have made it through without intervention and can begin the healing journey.
Pepi-bebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepi-bebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2012 at 6:53pm
Hi everyone,
This is a bit of a cut and paste as I've been writing variations of the same stuff by email and facebook and text for days now!

I'm doing okay, the bleeding started on Monday and I had some pretty sore pain in the night Mon/Tues, then passed the baby at 6am on Tuesday. I'm still bleeding, but it was only heavy for the first half day. So I think I'm doing okay. I didn't use any pain relief, apart from a hot water bottle, but had started to learn some of the techniques for hypno birthing, so used the breathing exercises in the night and when I passed the baby, to calm down and not feel the pain too much.

I had ibuprofen here, but last time the baby passed with no warning and no pain till afterwards, so I kind of felt bad about that - like the I'd just let the baby slip away. So this time I didn't want to dull the experience with pain relief unless it got really bad. Maybe a bit mental, but I think it helped me to grieve better, to feel like it was some hard work to let go of the baby. And I feel pleased with my body for doing it naturally, at least it didn't let me down in that way. I don't know if you'll know what I mean, but that's how my mind is delaing with it so far.
I still feel really numb, whereas last time it was such a shock that I felt like the pregnancy and my dreams were just ripped away. I guess finding out the baby had died on Friday, then not actually passing till Tuesday gave me time to get my head around it more.

I'm normally a total waterworks, I cry at the drop of a hat, (especially when full of pregnancy hormones), but weirdly I've barely cried this time. I'm a bit scared maybe it will hit me in one minute and I'll be on the floor wailing...I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I'm not sleeping well though, haven't been to bed before 1.30am and last night it was 4am.

I had a lovely quote from my midwife who wrote: 'Your pain is the cracking of the seed that contains your larger self.'

Plus we've had huge support from our friends and family who are as shocked as us about this.

For me it's so important to try and have the baby with my wife's brother if we can, especially as I have been pregnant in that way twice. I think I'd feel different if we had just tried with him but I hadn't conceived 2 babies. But now I know what it feels like to carry children that are biologically linked to her. It's a spiritual thing for us rather than DNA and kind of hard to explain.

But if it wont work through finances, or lack of visa, or I miscarry again, then we will have to look at other options. For now we'll just focus on getting me healed and fertile again over the next few months, try and save some money and see how we go. He's said he'll come back as soon as we can bring him, so at least that is good to hear.

I'll keep checking in here as I'm excited to see how you girls go with your babies! Plus I'll want to keep you updated with our journey too.

xx

Oct 11 & Mar 12
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toes_crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 2:11pm
Thanks for sharing your sad journey with us Pepi. Wishing you and your wife much love and healing! Glad you're sticking around :)
little red hen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little red hen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 6:16pm
whoops! wrong thread I think!

Edited by little red hen
koromiko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koromiko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2012 at 3:49pm
Hi all,

How's everyone going? I'm pretty good, but really tired. Have found out my iron levels are low, so I'm starting to take a supplement.

I got a couple of books out from Wellington public library, one of them is called the Complete Lesbian and Gay Parenting Guide. I think there were a couple of copies of that one, it's quite useful, though some of it is not so relevant as it's from the USA. Also got out Confessions of the Other Mother: Non-biological Lesbian Moms Tell All, but haven't had much of a chance to look at that as my partner has been reading it!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toes_crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 12:23pm
Hey Koromiko :)

The books sound interesting? Thanks :) We're having our 1st OB visit today and hoping for another peek at the little grape...very excited and a little nervous..

Told work a week ago which was a great relief as work was getting pretty scary and demanding - lots of drunken violent people (I'm a frontline cop). So I have another week to go then holidays and light duties - yay!

We started going to baby shops and looking around, but October seems so far away so not going too far with the shopping. You don't have much more to go - are you guys all ready with baby room, nappies etc?

Pepi - are you still around? How are you guys going?
Pepi-bebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepi-bebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2012 at 7:30pm
Hi toes-crossed,
Yep I'm still around. OB is a terrible addiction when you are grieving for a baby, but then again, it's nice as people all know I've lost my baby so the support is lovely.

I'm visiting the miscarriage forums a bit, and still lurking on the Oct forum sometimes as you are all such a lovely bunch, and funny! The British lady with the small boy (is it LRH?) just cracks me up!! "My Daddy needs MASSIVE, MASSIVE undies" LMAO! Last time round I lurked on my due date for a while, till I got pregnant again, it's like a pleasure/pain thing I suppose. Plus I look at the TTC forums as I 'know' quite a few of the ladies in there, and it's so nice when someone conceives.

I 'met' another lesbian on OB who is TTC, so have directed her here :-)

I decided to 'come out' about the MC on fb too, I felt like I wasn't acknowedging my babies and my grief by keeping it a secret, so did that just before. Very cathartic. Plus I feel really strongly that if we can cope with it, then we should be vocal about MC, it feels sometimes like an embarassing secret and I am not heppy feeling like that.

Toes - you are lucky to be in Wgtn with Baby Star - ohhh I love that shop. The last time I tried to get hapu our donor was in Wgtn and I used to do some contract work in Newtown in Adelaide Rd, so would go drool over the expensive cots etc in there. I love that oval one, Danish I think it is and exceedingly expensive.

Keep in touch...and if you ladies are on fb and want to keep in touch that way, I'd like it as I guess I'll fade off OB for a bit in a while. PM me if you do want to become fb buddies.

Oct 11 & Mar 12
koromiko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koromiko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2012 at 10:03am
I'm soooo tired after contact courses up at Massey last week and 3 days this week. So happy to be home now!

toes_crossed great that you're going to be off front line duties. Are you having extra holidays or just Easter?

Pepi-babe, I would love to keep in touch, I'll PM you. I think you're very brave, sharing your grief on facebook. I'm really in favour of people being open about painful experiences, if they can, it can make it so much easier for others going through the same thing, if people before them have talked about it. I've certainly found that with issues like being queer, and having a mental illness, so I can imagine it being the same with miscarriage. It's another thing that isn't always talked about openly, but is something that a lot of people have to cope with. Still it takes a lot of courage to be open.

Take care xx

Edited by koromiko
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toes_crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2012 at 8:24pm
Pepi I concur with koromiko - you're so very brave to share your pain and experiences and there should be more like you. I think it's not only so helpful for others but I believe letting it out wholly helps with the healing..
It's good that you are getting support in the MC forums too. Hope they are helping.

I was hoping more preggy lesbian partners would be on here but I guess we're still a "minority"..just the 3 of us is still great and the support out there is lovely.

I'm struggling with finding more than just Babycity and Baby factory which are very disappointing here in Wellingon, the other shops sound devine but I doubt our budget would allow for it. Especially if I'm thinking of taking some time off after birth to look after bubs and study? aaah..one can only dream! But then again as long as bubs is fed and loved etc. that's all they care about. Would never ever dress our little trooper in Trelise Cooper even if I could afford it!

I'll PM you right now Re: facebook :)

Koromiko - have added you on FB. I'm taking 2 weeks holidays starting Easter. We're going back to Auckland to catch up with friends and some sanity. I can't wait! It's so lonely here without friends...so 1 week to go and counting.

Have a great evening and see you on FB!
Pepi-bebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepi-bebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2012 at 6:15pm
Wow girls, where'd you all go?! I reckon this thread needs bumped up so any new to ohbaby same-sex mumma's (or gay papa's) can see there's a few of us out there on ohbaby.

We are not yet back to TTC, but if you look in the Planning Pregnancy forums you can see my updates re my thyroid and possible cause of our MC's.

Hope you are all going well with mummy-hood and impending mummy-hood.

PB :-)

Oct 11 & Mar 12
koromiko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koromiko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 10:18pm
Hi Pepi-bebe, thanks for popping in. I've been thinking about you heaps and so glad to hear you have some answers.

Toes_crossed I hope things are going well for you, I've popped into the October thread a couple of times and haven't seen any posts from you... hopefully you're just busy or have moved into a facebook group or something!

Lulu30 I hope you're having fun with your wee one... who must be getting pretty big by now!

And I hope there are some other rainbow families out there who might join us.

I've been really busy so haven't been on here much. Trying to finish off my fieldwork placement, and I've been sick for a while too. Otherwise things are going pretty well, baby is growing at the right rate and is finally head down so that is a relief. Not long to go now!
Inspired_Jurny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inspired_Jurny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2012 at 12:51pm
Hi other Mummies,

Finally found ya's.

My partner and I welcomed into the world our 1st child a beautiful wee girl, Hazel Grace born 6 August 2012 8lb 3oz 15 days past due date (eek)

After being on the wait list for nearly 2 years at Wellington fertility assoc I decided to start the search for a donor myself and we found the most amazing person. Donor will remain unknown and we have a contract that would be similar to that a clinic would use. Its worked out amazingly for us, we are so blessed.

Our daughter has changed our lives at 4 weeks old just can't imagine not having her. I think its fantastic that so many gay couples are having families I think its super exciting and we are just so pleased we went for it!

Nik & Chelle
Pepi-bebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepi-bebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 8:51am
Hey Nik & Chelle :-)
Congrats on your new arrival!
Glad you found us! It seems like there's no one else on the same journey in ohbaby till you find this thread. Not that it's very active. Koromiko had her baby girl about 2 months ago I guess, I haven't seen toes crossed again online, but then again I haven't been on here that much since our 2nd MC.
I've been working hard out to try and figure out what's going on and have an incredible fertility naturopath who is helping me, so we are hoping to bring my wife's brother back to NZ in late Oct (NZ immigration willing), so can't wait to try again! It's been a long time to wait but I think my body should be better now and ie finally stopped feeling the losses so keenly.
All the best with your wee girl, and feel free to PM me or write back on here.
Melissa

Oct 11 & Mar 12
brittneyb2109 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittneyb2109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2012 at 10:36pm
Hi there...
I'm looking for a gay friendly midwife...
Any suggestions??

I'm in Auckland!
Pepi-bebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepi-bebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 2:03pm
Hi brittney,

I was using Carly Frances at Motherwell, but she only takes on 2 clients for each month and generally only clients who are into natural birthing methods. If that sounds like your thing you could google her as she has a website as she's an accupuncturist too. I rang a few other midwives and my wife and I met with another midwife who was totally fine with us being a couple. I just mentioned it in the initial call and judged their first reaction. My second midwife (who was in warkworth) was also fine with it.

I guess you are newly pregnant? Congratulations!!! How far along are you? If you want to share...did you use a clinic or DIY? But no worries if you'd rather keep it to yourself!

After two miscarriages we've had a 6mth wait and our donor (my wife's brother) has just arrived into the country from the Caribbean :-) so we start DIY method of TTC in late October. Yippee!

Oct 11 & Mar 12
koromiko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koromiko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 6:46pm
Hi Hey Nik & Chelle and brittneyb2109,

I haven't been on here much since our daughter arrived in July.
Nik and Chelle, do you know about the Pride and Joy playgroup in Wellington? Even if your baby is a bit young to be playing with others it is still a nice way to meet other families. It's on Tuesday afternoons at Newtown Kindergarten and they have events on Saturdays sometimes.

Brittney, these are the midwives I've heard recommended: Caroline Muir from Arrival Midwifery (clinic at Birthcare); Midwives 4 You (South Auckland); Papakura maternity clinic.

There is a Rainbow Families NZ facebook group which is a great way to share info.

I was wondering about starting a new topic on here for Rainbow Families so it might be a bit easier for others to find if they already have children or are dads or whatever. Not sure which forum to put it in though!

We are loving being mums. Our little one is very smiley now and loves burbling away to people - so cute. We have the other half of her genetic family here at the moment and we are still trying to work out the language around that relationship. "Donor" doesn't seem quite right now she is here and doesn't cover the fact that his family have a connection to her as well.
Inspired_Jurny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inspired_Jurny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2012 at 1:58pm
Hi folks,
Thanks for the messages, things are very busy in baby land. Hazel is 3 months old now WOW can't believe how fast time is going. She is just Perfect, you can go to OH baby webite and vote her for on the 1st November :o) http://www.ohbaby.co.nz/community/baby-of-the-day/future-competition?id=1099

Koro we are no longer in wellington we now live in North Canterbury and have been very well accepted by our antinatal group and Plunket group which has been really neat. Not in touch with any other rainbow families but thats ok for now.

Hope you are all well xxx

Edited by Inspired_Jurny - 30 October 2012 at 2:01pm
brittneyb2109 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittneyb2109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 4:19pm
Hi Pepi-bebe and koromiko,

Thank you for replying to my message. I've been a bit flustered and frustrated, so I haven't been back on this message board. Too bad there aren't many more active same-sex mummies (or mummies to be) on this forum...

I live in the Mount Wellington area of Auckland. I've been using a community midwife I got allocated to from National Women's... I was just going to go with that, but my partner and I decided we still want to find our own independent midwife. They says it's never too late, apparently.

Still looking for a LGTB-friendly one. I got a list of midwives in the Mt Wellington region, but haven't started calling yet because I don't know what to say. I'm planning on delivering at Auckland Hospital, due to where myself and my partner's family will be most near during the time close to my due date.

So, just for some other "about me" stuffs...

I'm 24 weeks pregnant, due March 27th 2013. My partner and I have been together for just about 5.5 years now. Interestingly(and much to everyone's suprise) this pregancy was unplanned. Now, how do two lesbians get pregnant on accident? Well, we had a rough patch for a couple weeks, I went to America to visit family when we broke up, drunk and self-loathing, one night of trying to feel better about myself around an old ex-boyfriend who got made fun of for "turning me gay"... etc. You get the picture. Came back, partner and I realized we were silly, worked everything out, were honest about the whole situation... and then a few weeks later... bam, we found out I was pregnant.

Lucky for me, my partner has been baby hungry for the past 3 years and has just been waiting for me to be ready for us to consider starting a family.

Although it was maybe two years prior to what I was aiming for, I feel everything must happen for a reason and we are really happy and excited for this baby. Her family and all our friends in NZ are supporting us through this.

Sorry if that was too much... venting every once in a while feels good.

Thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>