FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnyone due Dec 07??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 92>
Author
bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2007 at 10:21pm
Hey all. How you all feeling about the up and coming birth of our babes? I am nervous as hell. I will be at a birth centre that has gas and a birthing pool for relief, but will have to be transfered if I need any kind of stronger relief. But trying to go au natural.

I ordered a couple of rain sound type cds online, they should turn up over the next couple of days. I will try anything to relax and calm myself.

Starting to arrange my labour bag... I swear I will take too much stuff!

10 weeks to go for me... scary stuff!!!

Sponsored Links

Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2007 at 8:05am
I am still in denial about the birth. I am just going with whatever I feel like at the time and what my MW recommends....no real plan, as then no disappointment if it doesn't go to that plan.

I am hearing you on the labour/hospital bags. I wrote my list and have started packing but there is heaps on it that can't actually be packed until you feel the first contraction because you are still using it.

I only have 8 weeks, Tara! Reality is def starting to set in.

sally belly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2007 at 8:47am
We've got our first antenatal class tonight so I'm hoping they'll discuss what needs to be packed in our bags. I really feel like I want to get started on that very soon...

I haven't really thought much about the birth either. I'm a bit like Peanut, in that I'll go with whatever at the time. I admire you Tara for trying to go au natural. I guess I would like to too, but I really have no idea what it's going to feel like (apart from blardy painful )
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2007 at 10:41am
Sally, I used the list from antenatal as well as doing a search on here for labour bag and then typed up my own based on what I felt like I actually needed.

I am also having 2 bags as am transferring - so have 1 bag that only needs to come into the labour bit and then another bag that will come into the hospital bit with me. Hope that makes sense.

Am happy to share it with anyone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2007 at 10:42am
What are you girls doing about a capsule/car seat for baby? We always intended to go the capsule way but after talking to a very helpful lady at Baby Factory, we're thinking that we might get a car seat which can be used from newborn upwards. I'd say we're far too late if we wanted to hire a capsule from plunket...
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2007 at 4:44pm
Peanut - you didn't make me feel bad! No sweat! Would you mind sharing your lists for your bag/s? I think I'm on the right track, but I don't really know what to take for the stay at St George's afterwards.

Sal - we went down the capsule route as we got a travel system (capsule and stroller) for a great price. I think the convertible carseats are great, but a friend of mine said her capsule was fantastic cos she could just take bubs in to wherever she was going (a friend's place etc) and let him sleep a little bit longer. Convertible carseats are quite a bit bigger so not as easy, but they do work out cheaper in the end. So that probably wasn't much help at all!
bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2007 at 7:40pm
We got our capsule free with our buggy. I think Mum is getting a Safe and Sound convertible carseat for bubs. They go from capsule size to toddler. Who knows.

We had a knock on the door today from a courier driver, and someone had bought us a new cot! We had a nice second hand one that was tidy but then realised there was a big split in the base where the screws go in. It would have been okay for first couple of months, but I doubt I could have trusted it. Toms folks ordered us a new cot from The Baby Factory and it was a nice suprise to wake up to. They sent us a foam matteress too, even though we have a nice innersprung one. Is everyone going innersprung, or is foam sweet these days?

Bought a couple of rain sound cds from a sleep store I found online. They seem okay, its a combination of rain and white noise. Good for babies and to destress parents. I am packing them in my labour bag. I went for an afternoon nap today and put one on, weird at first but then I soon conked out.

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2007 at 9:40pm
What a great surprise Ladyluck!

We went innersprung, it wasn't that expensive when we bought our cot so I was quite pleased.

About the labour thing, I'm gonna take all the drugs they offer! Oh, except pethidine, it makes me vomit.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 8:47am
Wow what a great surprise with the cot LL. We're planning on buying an innersprung mattress when the time comes. Still not sure about using one of the Dr Sprott covers yet or not though...

I originally liked the idea of a capsule cos if you're out in the car & baby is asleep you could just bring it inside & he'd continue sleeping. That was until someone said you're only supposed to leave them in there for 90 mins??? I'm not sure if that's right or not though so don't quote me.
bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 8:53am
Hi Sal, I haven't heard that before. About the 90 mins in the capsule thing. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Newborns sleep for ages, and if you are carting a capsule around town and to friends, sometimes bubs will sleep right through. Better than disturbing them and waking them up eh.

Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 11:00am
Sally, I think it has something to do with their head leaning forward and cutting the air supply....not 100% sure tho. I have borrowed a car seat off my SIL, can't remember what its like tho.

Score on the cot, Tara, I have brought an inner sprung mattress as am too lazy to remember to turn a foam one.

Will post my list later, emz, as don't have it at school.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Peanut Peanut wrote:

Sally, I think it has something to do with their head leaning forward and cutting the air supply....not 100% sure tho.

That does ring a bell now. I think I was speaking to a lady in Baby Factory who mentioned that.

We got given a booklet last night at our class with a list of things to pack for hospital. However, it does seem that you should totally adapt the list to things you think you're likely to need (with the essentials of course)...
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 12:29pm
If one of us writes there list in and we can all add our bits to it or our comments...may give us a more rounded idea.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 1:14pm
Here is my list at the moment (it's only what I got from this website after doing a search & reading people's comments):

Labour/Hospital bag

Nighties - if hospital don't supply
Slippers
Clothes - for during day & going home
Feeding bras
Feeding singlets/tops
Undies
Maternity pads - if hospital don't supply
Breast pads - may or may not need?
Rescue remedy
Drink bottle
Powerade
Snacks - biscuits/muesli bars/lollies etc
Camera
Cell phone
Wheat bag
Hottie
Book/magazines
MP3 player
Toileteries - shampoo, facewash, toothpaste etc
Paper & pen
Hair ties & clips
Togs(?) for birthing pool - ??

Baby bag
Clothes
Gowns
Hat
Blanket/wrap
Nappies - if hospital don't supply
Wipes - if hospital don't supply
Socks/booties

That's a starting point anyway. It wouldn't surprise me if I've missed key items
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 1:22pm
That's a good list to start with Sal.

Yeah I've heard about the prolonged stays in capsules too, but it can happen in convertible carseats as well, and if you think about it, if you travel away from town for the day bubs is going to spend more than 90 minutes in the carseat or capsule so you can't really win! I guess you just need to make sure bubs head is positioned correctly, not leaning forward too much.
bookwyrm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 4:43pm
Another thing to add to the list is coins for phone / coffee machine / snacks for your DH. But that list looks sweet :)

Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2007 at 8:23am
I’ve separated mine into 2 bags so only have to take one into birthing hospital and then both into the hospital. Saves DH having to rummage thru stuff at the birthing hospital

Labour
Powerade
Camera
Wheat bag
Toileteries - shampoo, facewash, toothpaste etc
Snacks - biscuits/muesli bars/lollies etc
Birthing Top/Nightie
Socks
Make up/Hair brush
Hair Ties
Birth Aide
Jandals – easier than shoes
1x Clothes to transfer in
Lip Balm – been told this about 100 times

Hospital bag
Nighties or Pj’s
Slippers
Clothes - for during day
1 x Nice outfit for going home
Feeding bras
Feeding singlets/tops
Undies
Maternity pads - if hospital don't supply
Breast pads - may or may not need?
Arnica
Cell phone and Charger
Camera Charger
Plastic Bags – dirty washing etc
Book/magazines
MP3 player
Paper & pen
Cash

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2007 at 1:47pm
Socks is a good one Peanut. Someone said you often get cold feet during labour I never leave the house without lipbalm so I'll be covered there!
BellaBoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BellaBoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2007 at 4:30pm
Hi ladies,

I have just got home from a lovely long weekend away. I am so tired after numerous beach walks, dinners out etc. Hope you all had a nice weekend too.

We had our 3D scan on friday and baby was not cooperative at all! She had her hands covering her face most of the scan but then managed to get a couple of looks at the end of scan (not very good photos though)- naughty baby! In saying that, it was still so worth it. I am so excited about meeting her now! Picture of baby Isabella follows and also a pic of my belly at 30 wks (took it on thursday).

Edited by Topsy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 9:17am
Hey Topsy

Love the pictures. Your belly is still so little - compared to mine anyway The 3d is great too & what a cute little button nose Isabella has. Can you see any resemble to you or DP in the pictures?

I love long weekends! We got a few things done around the house & bought the carseat & stroller so I think now we have pretty much everything we need. Just waiting on the baby

Here's a pic of the stroller we got.
">
DH especially loves it. I just couldn't convince him we should get a P & T's but I'm more than happy with this one. The seat is reversable too which will be good when bubs is little.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5758596061 92>