FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBuying ahead....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying ahead....
    Posted: 11 August 2005 at 3:53pm
Hi all you mum's out there....

Help me out here.

I am thinking of buying nappies (disposable) and not sure how many to buy. I was thinking of buying them in bulk....e.g. Foodtown has Huggies new born 100pk for $38 and treasures newborn 112pk for $43.05. I dont want to buy too many newborn ones.....I am also planning to use cloth nappies for at home (dont know how many I need of those either).

Shed some light on this for me please.

Edited by Roksana

Sponsored Links

nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2005 at 4:05pm
Hi Roksana, for my first son I had 24 cloth nappies, which was plenty. As for the disposables i wouldn't buy to many as they never seem to be in the newborn ones for long and a lot of it depends on the size of bubs. As you are mainly using cloth I would probably only buy one pack of a hundred if that.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2005 at 4:48pm
lol i was told not to buy too many, and with paris she was in the newborn size for long enough for us to have brought at least 3 boxes!! with ayja we got around about 200 of newborn size but she gained weight quicker so we are now in the samll size. maybe buy a box of newborn and see what size your midwife thinks baby will be - you may have already had some sort of idea from scans.. usually they have a reading of how much baby weighs and how long and wide things like tummy and femurs etc are.. so may give you some idea of the size.

24 cloth naps is about right, although i must say, i never used them like i intended too but they come in handy for putting on the change mat. lol.

huggies are great but i think they are slightly smaller fitting, and are more expensive than treasures. either one is good really.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2005 at 4:50pm
hey while you're buying ahead, nursing pads and maternity pads are great things to stock up on!!

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2005 at 4:58pm
Yap I went shopping last night and bought 1pk of 10 Maternity pads...I will buy one pack with every trip to the shops. How many do you think I will need Janine?

Where do I buy Nursing pads? and how many will I need?

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2005 at 5:04pm
hhhhm depends. for the first few days you'll probably go through them pretty quick. i think i brought about 4 packs of the libra goodnights ones, and about 4 packs of the libra maternity ones in the pink packs. and that was it. it could be more, or less.. depends on you really, but hey if you get too many you can always use them later, if you don't have enough hubby won't appreciate being sent out at 10 at night cos you just realised you have run out (mike was not impressed).

Nursing pads/breast pads should be at the supermarket too. johnsons are better, treasures are terrible. I got a huge stock of them and i think i am down to only having a few packs left. lol. you'll probably need them as long as you are feeding. you can get the washable ones but i think others have said the disposable ones are better for the first little while until your supply settles down. argh it's so much to think about ... lol

AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2005 at 9:04pm
i got heaps of maternity pads from the hospital. Some people dont bleed for very long and others bleed for like 6 weeks. Id only have a couple of packs at home (unless you normally use pads when you have your period). I hate the treasures breastpads and i hate their ultra nappies too! I buy in bulk from diapers express or diapersdirect

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
newmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2005 at 8:07am
I was also told not to buy too many newborn disposables so we bought 2 packs of 28 or something as they were on special the other week and we had a coupon. We want to use cloth nappies too and were told about 3 dozen is right. IO don't know how many we have because they are all hand me downs, lol, but we have heaps.    The mums I have got to know here all say Treasures Giggles are not good nappies and the best are huggies...

I bought some reusable breast pads, tommee tippee ones but I thought I might get some throw away ones for a start...

If you haven't got any cloth nappies yet I would suggest looking into the new type of cloth nappies like www.fuzzibunz.co.nz as they are FANTASTIC and don't leak etc. I learnt about them too late but wish I hadn't, I would have stocked up on those! They are initially expensive but really good in the long run.

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2005 at 8:18am
ha ha Ana, Giggles are all i use for my girls, night and day. I think it comes down to personal preference. if we had more money to spend on nappies i might buy huggies, but giggles suit me fine... I agree with Maria though, I HATE the treasures ultra.. the "stretchy wide waistband" is too wide and cut into paris when we tried them. and i didn't see too much difference in the absorbancy.

Edited by mum2paris

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2005 at 10:13am
Arrrggg you are right so much to think about

1) not treasures nappies
2) try the other website for bulk nappies or else buy giggles and/or huggies
3) buy at least 3 more pack of maternity pads and few goodnight ones
4) look in to clothing nappie site
5)breast pad disposable better buy a few packs (j&j)

OH MY GOD!! but thanks guys..it is so helpful to know all this,,,keep the info coming...and let my list grow...

Xander&Harmony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2005 at 10:47am

if u opt for somewhere like diapers direct or nappy house (theres heaps more websites too) ask for a sample of each brandthey stock to try out on bubs so u cn find most suitable.i doid that for xander a few  wks ago cos im sik of havin a soaking child and bed in mornings.but i guess bubs has to b here before u can trial lol

BECS

Angel Baby 10/07/09 (10wks4days)
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2005 at 1:29pm
If you dont mind not getting stuff straight away, have a look on trade me for new cloth nappies. I have bought 2 doz brand new (still in their packets with price tags!) for less than half the store price. Have also bought brand new washable nappy liners from trade me.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
kas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2005 at 1:31pm
Hey Roksana  i have used both huggies and giggles with the twins and i found that they both managed to wee through the huggies.  I have found the giggles much better.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2005 at 1:47pm
I used cloth during the day for Maya and bought 3 doz, was great because I didn't have a dryer to start with so I needed plenty. Don't forget overnappies too, I used the cheap plastic ones (about $3.00 for 3 pairs from Kmart), the fluffies are useless, PLunket say the cloth lined plastic ones are best but they are about $5 a pair, and I found the cheap ones just as good.
We only bought 2 standard packs of Treasures Giggles newborns, and ended up pinching some Huggies from the hospital then my midwife gave me a bulk pack of disposables, so we ended up not starting with the cloths till 6 weeks. Also, Maya didn't really fit the newborn nappies as a newborn as she was quite big so I wish I had only bought one pack of newborn and one pack of small. On tiny babies it doesn't matter if the nappy is a little big as they only have small wees and they are changed frequently.

We use Treasures Ultra, I find the Huggies are bulkier, and the Giggles used to be fine, but now that Maya is only in nappies at night, she does huuuuuge wees at night and floods the Giggles.

I can't remember how many pads I needed, but I do know that I pinched a heap of those from Birthcare too!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2005 at 11:50pm
I remember needing more pads than I thought...sent lewis down to woolworths 24 hour to get them.    and some chocolate ice cream i believe
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2005 at 9:22am
the back of the libra maternity packet reckons you will need about 3 packs - and that was about right for me - then ordinary pads will be okay... apparently after a couple of weeks you can use tampons again but the thought of putting anything up there for a while didnt appeal to me...esp after my large headed baby...i felt a bit like that add with the pregnant lady surrounded by large headed people
(hope thats not too much info..)

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2005 at 11:35am
LOL! Another question to do with buying stuff - when do you buy maternity bras?
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2005 at 2:25pm
If you can wait until after you give birth then thats the best time. But who can do that. Leave it as late as possible like sometime in the last 4 weeks. Also make sure that they have enough room in them for you to grow. And also make sure the back size is done up on the last or one of the last hooks so when you have bubs you can tighten it and it wont be too big across your back.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2005 at 3:00pm
i stocked up on nappies... both newborn and small size. i don't think i could have ever realised how many nappies you go through!!!!!

lotssss of maternity pads is a good idea. i was bleeding for about 6 weeks but started using tampons after about 3 weeks.

careful buying nappies on trademe... i was looking at the auctions and then realised farmers had them on special for cheaper than trademe.
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2005 at 3:01pm
ooo and with breastpads.. i used the disposable ones for the first couple of months and used to go through almost 2 packs of 24 per week.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>