FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedafter the birth?..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: after the birth?..
    Posted: 16 September 2004 at 8:35pm
Hey there, After reading the discussion on another topic, I thought I'd start this up:

What piece of info do you wish you had been told about regarding the first few days and weeks after having baby? - what did you find really surprising or shocking? write it down so that all the new-mummies-to-be won't get the shock of their lives!
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Sponsored Links

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2004 at 9:03pm
I'll start.. no-one told me it would feel like someone had shoved red hot boulders under your skin when your milk came in.. and that it would be so hard to get baby to latch on properly at that point.

Also, when i first stood up after having paris, to go have a shower, it felt like my insides were being pulled back down and it took my breath away. I mean obviously every thing that had been pushed around goes back into place.. but i didn't think i would feel it!

AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2004 at 8:10am
Yeah the breast feeding thing was a bit of a major for me, so i stayed in hospital 2 nights to make sure i got it sussed asking the nurses to come in every time i feed to make sure i was doing right. Luckily they didn't get sick of me. And i didn't get cracked nipples for the whole 13 months i breastfeed. But I did get mastitis so i guess there are other downfalls.

Another thing i found really hard to cope with was the breathing of a newborn. Because of the mucus they still have inside they sound like they are choking when they sleep.

I went home from hospital on the third day after Alyssa was born, my midwife said to me it would be the worst night as apparently its when the baby realises its out of the womb and also i was taking her out of the hospital where she had gotten used to, to somewhere foreign. I wish i had stayed in hospital that extra night.

Also I wish i had known what to do with a baby with colic. Or that id had more understanding from my midwife about it. Luckily My GP was great.

Sorry to write so much. But its a real learning curve. Hopefully im more prepared with this next one ha ha

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
lou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2004 at 8:42am
There is so much stuff - I don't know where to start...
An important one - For some people it can take up to 6 weeks to form a bond with your baby. For some poeple it is instant, but it took me a while. I ended up stressing about it and feeling like a bad mother. Knowing it can take a while would have helped.

Breastfeeding - if you are latching on it wont hurt (most people know this), but it may hurt for the first min when you latch on for the first few days. (didn't know this to start with)

Sleep. I thought I was prepared to get up at night to feed, but I wasn't prepare for how long it would take. To start with it would take a couple of hours to get Sophie settled. She was feeding between 2 and 4 hours.

Advice - rest and try and enjoy every moment with your little bundle. Everything else can wait. Try not to have any expectations and just go with the flow
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2004 at 9:39am
funny how everybody has a diferent experience - i never felt like hot boulders under my boobs and my baby never breathed like he was choking either, and his first night home was a pice of cake. My husband and i were awake at 3 before the baby waiting for him to cry tho. what i wasnt expecting was the emotional rollercoaster...the first couple of days after the birth i was on cloud nine, tho i was weak from blood loss and was sore. Then i was so low and terry eyed, my midwife turned up one day to have me answer the door in my knickers, tears streaming down my face holding a crying baby in one arm and the phone in the other.2 days later nothing would have fazed me. lou is right even tho breastfeeding isnt supposed to hurt the whole time - it can hurt a bit to start with - so be prepared, it isnt the piece of cake some people like to make it out as, but worth it if you can get it right. i could go on for hours, will try not to tho - my best resource was my mom and my sister (she has two kids herself), and i found that people really want to help when you have a newborn, so is best to listen to their advice nod your hed sagely then go and do what feels best for you - and dont be scared to let people do your washing or cook if they want to - that never lasts for long so take it while you can.. the end of my novel...   
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2004 at 9:50am
also.. i didn't know my tummy would be so jelly-ish.. i mean i knew there would be extra stretched skin and all, obviously. Just be prepared to touch your tummy and feel like you are pushing on a marshmellow!

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2004 at 10:28am
okay, can someone say something good about after the birth? have read the entries, I know they are helpful.....but now I'm freaked out. Have changed my mind...don't need to have a baby now.
Southlandmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southlandmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2004 at 10:28am
This is great guys.. I will know what to expect now in a few months, well a little over 3 months..
Cindy - Princess and Princes
Samia Isobel Joy born 9th September 2008
Spencer Graeme John born 29th May 2006
Kaylin Gavin Robert born 19 December 2004
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2004 at 11:39am
Sorry Lizzle, There is heaps of great awesome good stuff. But people don't tend to tell you about these things i guess. I wish people had told me so i could prepare my brain i guess. But all of these things are worth going throught to get your little bundle of joy, and poo.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2004 at 11:43am
something good is the look on your little babies face when he looks at you for the first time and the way his skin feels when you kiss your baby.. i remember every time i kiss my boy how he felt that first time, and knowing that this baby came from you - i have tears in my eyes now...
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2004 at 11:48am
I freaked out on the jelly tummy thing too - before Maya was born my tummy was rock hard, and when I got in the shower straight after she was born I was shocked by how flabby it had become so quickly!
I can also relate to the teary, useless feelings a few days after having Maya. My midwife came to visit and I remeber collapsing in tears because I couldn't do up the stupid domes on the stretch and grow, and I remember thinking "I'm such a useless mother I can't even dress my baby". But that passed.
Bad advice I was given - to express the excess milk as I had too much.This made me make even more milk, and I ended up with nasty mastitis.
Also, noone warned me that my milk would suddenly let down in the middle of the supermarket and I ended up standing in a puddle of milk and wet clothes
Good advice I was given - to feed baby 3 hourly during the day, and let her sleep as long as she could at night. She was sleeping thru by 7 weeks. I know this doesn't work for everyone, but it worked for us.
Finally, no one told me how stisfying it is to stand at the cot and just watch your baby sleep. Sounds really boring, but it is so peaceful and relaxing to see them dreaming without a care in the world - if you're not dead on your feet from exhaustion!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2004 at 11:56am
I think the greatest thing is the smell and touch of your baby. Mike thinks i'm crazy.. he just doesn't get it. but when you go to check on them before you go to bed at night, and they are asleep, or when you come back from being out, and pic them up to cuddle them. - Theres, that nice warm fuzzy feeling you get, and they have this really scrummy smell to them (unless theres something nasty in the nappy lol).. you almost try to breath them in - they're good enough to eat lol.

Sorry for freaking you out lizzle - it's just that there is so much stuff that is obvious, you don't really need to be told it.

this is the stuff that no-one usually dares to tell you, so that they don't scare you.. but it's much scarier when it happens to you and you think that you are the only person in the world this is happening to - this way, if and when it happens to you, you can say "ah, yes, someone did say that might happen" instead of stressing yourself out.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2004 at 11:58am
good point janine - fore warned is fore armed...and lizzle i can almost gurantee only half of this may happen to you
lou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2004 at 12:34pm
I work on the principle - prepare for the worse hope for the best.
So much of this stuff I wish I new before I had Sophie.
Rozi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rozi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2004 at 1:23pm
I think what you guys have written is fantastic. You are right. Who in their right minds tells a pregnant woman this sort of information. I think ignorence is a kind of bliss but having some idea of what to expect is really helpful. Thanks a bunch. I've only got five weeks to go and then I will let you know which bits helped. And yeah, it is good to know this stuff before it happens. Thanks again.

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2004 at 9:45am
okay, feeling a little calmer now. Had just been to the midwife, and it finally sunk in that this healthy baby living inside me, was due to be exiting in the nwxt three to four weeks. I guess up until now, i'd put it out of my mind. anyway, after a nice cup of milo, i'm now appreciating the advice.
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2004 at 3:02pm
lol. It can be a bit scary when you finally realise that there's gonna be a baby at the end of it all! I mean you would assume that obviously if you're pregnant you sorta know this... but really one day it just dawns on you that "oh my god, I'm gonna be a mum!" don't stress, now you know all the good and the not so good... you can begin to try and prepare yourself. enjoy the next few weeks and make sure you do something nice, just for yourself, before baby comes.

melstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2004 at 3:49pm
What helpful stuff you mums are writing - please continue with the unspoken information, it especially helps me as I'm the first out of friends and family to go down this path - so unfortunatley no advise from there and the stories from the oldies is abit outdated!!
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2004 at 9:29pm
yeah, gotta love some of that outdated stuff.   

so going along with that line - maybe we should write the WORST, most useless, or most stupid advice we've ever been given.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2004 at 9:18am
i agree janine - but maybe start a new post for it - i would hate for someone to take our worst advice instead of the real stuff..lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>