FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCouch to 5km running programme

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Couch to 5km running programme
    Posted: 16 April 2009 at 12:22pm
Ok so I have looked at this programme multiple times but never actually done it. Since the end of the summer sports season my fitness is starting to deteriorate again so I've decided to jump in and do it, starting TODAY.

Here's the link: http://www.c25k.com/

I've downloaded the podcasts from here which have good music for running to and will tell me when to run, when to walk etc.

It's 20-30 minutes a day, three days a week, and sounds perfectly achievable. But I'm bad at not following through on these sorts of things, so need some external motivators - like some virtual running buddies.

Anyone keen to join me?

Here's the blurb from the original designers:

Too many people have been turned off of running simply by trying to start off too fast. Their bodies rebel, and they wind up miserable, wondering why anyone would possibly want to do this to themselves.

You should ease into your running program gradually. In fact, the beginners' program we outline here is less of a running regimen than a walking and jogging program. The idea is to transform you from couch potato to runner, getting you running three miles (or 5K) on a regular basis in just two months.

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
Sponsored Links

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 12:24pm
Here's today's task:

Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 12:26pm
I'll join you!

I did start the C25K about 2 1/2 months ago but ended up with a knee injury so had to stop. I went from being able to run 100m (yes, honestly) to being able to do 3.5K at a slow jog in about 6 weeks. I am not, and have never been a runner, so if you think you won't be able to, I am proof that you can!

Have to admit, I did modify the program a bit too, after about week 3, I ran as long as I could rather than sticking to the times.

Will have to check out the Podcasts
Mum to two wee boys
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 12:30pm
Yay!

My sister has done it - like you, got injured and had to stop - and told me when I said I was doing it: "Just make sure you don’t run too fast or go too hard. Stick to the time limits and don’t add on extra runs or minutes even if you feel like you can… that’s where I usually come unstuck."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 12:40pm
I hate having to restrain my "crash and burn" self. I do confess, there is probably a link between pushing myself and my injury. I was pushing myself out of amazement that I was actually able to do it!

I did modify it partly because of hills around here and it was really tricky when the uphill conincided with the run while I was pushing the buggy (11kg buggy + 8kg baby + uphill = ). I think that's probably an acceptable, realistic modification. Blardy Auckland.

Now I just have to perseude Daniel that going for a run with mum is fun . And learn how to spell persuede
Mum to two wee boys
monikah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monikah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 12:54pm
i did it a couple of years ago until i was up to running 45 mins 5 days a week. ill be starting again as soon as this baby is out. so excited to see other ppl on it. will definitly be joing you guys with this soon!!!

mylilmosaic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mylilmosaic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 1:20pm
Yay a running thread My DH and I have started walking & jogging to our cowshed which is 3 km's there and back everyday. I can't wait until I can actually run to the cowshed and back without needing to stop lol
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 1:40pm
I'd love to do it but don't think my boobies would appreciate it, unless some one knows of a good fitness maternity bra?
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 1:53pm
LOL I'm with you Kel! I'm abit concerned about knocking myself out with my own knockers hehe! I actually did find a great bra at Rebel sports so am gona go get it then do this! I'll PM you when I'm coming up to shop

Yay I've just been moaning to myself about how unfit I've got since getting pregnant and with TTC #2 coming up at the end of the year I better get onto it!!
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 2:37pm
I guess I'm lucky on that front, my boobs aren't big enough to do much bouncing. I've heard that wearing two bras at a time can work though... plus I figure for the first week workout, only running for 60 seconds at a time won't be too bad.

Right, I'm heading off for my run, wish me luck!

chonni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 3:29pm
ill join you ive wanted to start running for ages now!!!! i love it how you can have music and it tells you when to run and walk...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 4:05pm
I can't stand the music! Will stick to my random ipod mix and guesstimate times.

For the BF mums - I started running while still BF, and was a 14E+. Even now, I'm a flopping 14D. I initially wore a bra and a BF singlet tight which worked OK. When I stopped BF, I bought a proper sports bra - Triumph from Farmers and it's great. No flop at all. Bendon have quite a good range and if you go to one of their branded shops, they do good fittings.
Mum to two wee boys
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 4:21pm
LOL yeah the music is a bit cheesy, like an ad for a wannabe sports car, but I found having the verbal cues invaluable, and an obvious beat in the music is useful (a lot of the music I like doesn't necessarily have that). There's another podcast linked to on c25k.com that has only the verbal cues, which you can apparently mix with your own music using some program, maybe I'll have a go at that the next time I feel the urge to procrastinate

Well, it could have been worse, but I can't say that was easy! 60 seconds is surprisingly long I managed to do it all though. I think I get bonus points for doing it on a gravel road up a hill (coming back down again on the second half was good in terms of effort, but I don't think my calves will thank me later).

ETA and I wouldn't be able to guesstimate times, I lose count!

Edited by weegee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 4:26pm
Make sure you stretch. And stretch on the days you don't run as well. You want to do quads, hamstrings, groin, outside back of your leg (lie on your back, lift left knee up toward chest. take right leg and cross it in front of the left knee. Pull them both up toward your chest) and calves.
Mum to two wee boys
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 4:34pm
Oh, you mean I can't put my feet up, catch up on here and reward myself with that bag of chips I'm now craving?

You're absolutely right, I'm stretching now!

ETA thanks for that outside leg stretch, hadn't done that one before! Took me a second or two to figure out what you meant but it really works

Edited by weegee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by weegee weegee wrote:

Oh, you mean I can't put my feet up, catch up on here and reward myself with that bag of chips I'm now craving?

Only if you've got a glass of wine in your hand. If you're going to not do it, then not do it properly
Mum to two wee boys
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 4:35pm
Yep stretching is so important!!!
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Flissty Flissty wrote:

If you're going to not do it, then not do it properly

LOL!

Crakleys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crakleys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 4:40pm
Hey ladies I started this in September, and finished it in December - was awesome to do just before Christmas. But then with Xmas, NY and hot summer, it went by the wayside.

I started doing it again a coupe of weeks ago and my fitness levels were still at week 5 - not too bad.

I have never been a runner, and was soooo proud to hit that 5km!! I did it in a group, and we got certificates! hehe.

katie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2009 at 4:56pm
This looks great. I'm keen to do it with you. Have just started running but am definitely at the 'couch' stage at the moment.
I tried to download the podcast to put on my ipod but I can't get it to work. I clicked on podcast but nothing seemed to happen. Can anyone help? What should happen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>