FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedyuk M/S? question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: yuk M/S? question
    Posted: 05 July 2008 at 10:39am
OK so I get morning sickness for the first trimester - I feel rotten and nauseous and have big food aversions, and can't tolerate a regular-sized meal. Pretty standard morning sickness, really. But last night I felt revolting, went to bed early, and this morning, I woke at 4am to to charming need to vomit up nothing more than bile, and haven't been able to hold a thing down since - trustee old toast is no longer my friend, and even water comes back up. What I'm wondering is has anyone else had their M/S suddenly crank up at the end of the 1st trimester? I don't feel like I have a tummy bug - I ate what my family did last night and they're fine, I have no cramps or any erm, problems in that region. But this is rotten... I'm roasting hot just before I need to drive the porcelean bus, then shivering for a good 20 mins after each round (which is 'normal' for me if I ever vomit, which I barely ever do). And nothing, nothing stays down. I feel weak and very tired too. Any advice? I really don't fancy waiting for a couple of hours in the Doc's with a bucket. I've asked DH to pick me up some lemonade iceblocks, and considering he's out right now (already) in the biggest hailstorm Palmy's ever seen, he'll be my absolute hero if he comes through on them!

Edited by Andie
Andie
Sponsored Links

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 10:41am
That sounds like something other than ms to me. I would just keep trying to keep some liquid down and keep an eye on your temp.

Mum2L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 10:47am
andie - my ms cranked up at the end of the first trimester. That feeling that you are having lasted for a couple of days with me, but just talk to your midwife, like I did.

But the change from a hot to cold feeling is not what I got, so maybe a sign of an upcoming fever or the flu. Just call your midwife to see what he/she says, he/she may recommend seeing your GP.

Hope you get better soon

Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 10:52am
Thanks, guys. I should have explained that I barely ever vomit - I'm not a spewer in general, and when I do go, I don't do it very well! Ha ha. - I get hot then cold and shakey regardless of why I'm spewing. It's just a bit tiring to be doing that over and over and over! Glad to hear that yours cleared up in a couple of days... I'll keep an eye on things.
Andie
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 11:27am
OMG!!! how did i miss that you were pregnant!!!!

congratulations!!!

meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 11:31am
I didn't know you were pregnant either! Congrats!

What week in your pregnancy are you? As my "morning" (more like midday until I went to sleep at night) sickness this time lasted until around 15/16 weeks. I found ginger beer helped - infact most fizzy seemed to help settle my tummy.

Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Bizzy Bizzy wrote:

OMG!!! how did i miss that you were pregnant!!!!

congratulations!!!

I didn't know either

Congrats Andie thats so exciting
cat007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cat007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 1:29pm
Sound like a fever to me - I suggest taking a panadol and keep trying to drink water. Oh, and eat whatever you want if you can find anything to stay down. I would suggest calling your mw if your temp increases. Otherwise, I would give it another 24hours.

I tended to pick up any little bug when I had morning sickness and they can be pretty nasty. Rest is one of the best things you can do. Any concerns I wouldnt hesistate to ring your mw.
clueless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clueless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 1:49pm
gastro prehaps? have ya man person get you some gastrolite as well and if you can eat try tinned peaches ( they are the best thing to bring back up yuk i know but its true) and heaps of ice blocks
katie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 1:56pm
You poor thing Andie. That sounds horrible. I think if it was me I'd probaby ring the midwife just to see what she says to do. I hope you feel better soon. - and that your DH comes through with the lemonade ice blocks.
emmakate View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmakate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 2:31pm
that sounds exactly like my morning sickness with both the kiddies! i was okay up until about 6/7 weeks and it kicked in and then it suddenly got worse about 14/15 weeks and lasted until was about 22ish weeks. in that time i was hospitalised twice in this preg for dehydration as nothing would stay down!! and bile is not so fun!
the only thing i could do is what my midwife called the "water challenge"... a sip of water every 5mins on the dot all day. it worked for me, after a day or so i started sipping on water with those electrolite sachets in it...and felt much better.
xx goodluck!! morning sickness is that much harder when you have another kiddie to look after too!
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 3:00pm
I get the hot/cold shivery thing when I spew too I'm not a good chucker either, before I was preg last year I hadn't thrown up since I was about 6 and it was awful!!

Bear in mind that m/s can get heaps worse if you are overtired or hungry too... I used to get hungry in the middle of the night, and I used to wake up feeling not even that hungry, just a tiny bit and a minute later I would throw up... sometimes I spewed in my sleep (NOT nice). But I had hyperemesis for my whole pregnancy, it did get worse at the end of the first trimester (around weeks 12-18 were my worst and I threw up at least 10 times a day) but then it improved and it was only around 4-6 times a day for the rest of my pregnancy. (I say that like it's good, but MAN does it suck).

Iceblocks or lollipops helped to tide me over a little while I fixed something to eat (which would mostly just come up anyway)... but I found that I could not eat grainy toast at all, just plain white bread. Grains or anything fibrous at all came up straight away. (I should probably mention that I just lied... usually DH fixed me something to eat, I didn't get it myself most of the time) Plain bread and potatoes were basically the only things that had a chance of staying down.

Make sure you drink regularly too... even if it doesn't stay down, vomiting water up is MILES better than vomiting up bile My MW said to add a bit of juice to the water, the sugar helps it absorb faster from the stomach.

If you haven't talked to your MW already then make sure you let her know how you are feeling, then if you or her have any worries, she can check you out. Don't want to end up dehydrated and in hospital.

All the best!

ETA: Do you have anyone to help you out at home? Throwing up a lot is really exhausting work

Edited by LittleBug
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 3:32pm
Mine cranked up at 12/13 weeks (just in time for a really fun Christmas morning while flying to Chch!). I can't remember having temp changes though.
Mum to two wee boys
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 6:51pm
It could be gastro but I'd be inclined to think it is bad ms. How are you doing now? It's my guess that there's a certain amount of hours of not keeping fluids down that they like to keep a close eye on things.
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 7:19pm
Shesus Andie. I'm way behind. happy baby. hope the spewing stops soon!
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 7:24pm

Have ygot your MW yet??? (I can't remember if you said you did or no). Maybe ring her and ask for some anti nausea pills (they rock) to see if that will help.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2008 at 7:57pm
I got that around 12/13 weeks with both my girls. Normal ms up until then, starting to get better then a couple of days of full on spewing and not eating. Both times I think I had overdone myself as my ms went away. I agree with the lemonade iceblocks, fizzy and peaches. Hope you are feeling better soon

Edited by aimeejoy
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Danaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2008 at 8:25am
Hey Andie,

There is a gastro bug going round Palmy at the moment. Real nice one too. It's in a good chunk of the schools so i'm hiding from the world till it goes away.

That weather was freaky yesterday! I got some good pics of the ranges as we're out at Linton in Palmy. Drove into town as I had a hankering for an Apple Turnover (do you think I could find one?) and the ground was white. A local said it hadn't been like that in 30 years. Scary.
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2008 at 10:52am
Oh yeah that was the coolest hailstorm I've seen here! We still had hail that fell in the morning piled in the driveway un-melted last night!

Well, thanks for the advice... it just continued on and I ended up on an IV - the Doc said it's either hyperemesis (oh I really hope not) or a random bug (but without a fever, cramps and having not eaten anything dodgy or even seen anyone with the sniffles recently, that's not looking likely). So I'm hoping to keep something down today (so far a piece of toast and wee bits of water have lasted over an hour - yesss! But not feeling too flash about it, mind ) and not end up back again tonight. Thank God it's the weekend and DH is around.

...and LOL, Deb, Meow, Nikki and Rach... yep, I'm pregnant! Goes to show you guys are waaayyy too busy to lurk! 12 weeks tomorrow. That hallowed second trimester isn't quite warming up to be what I thought it would though!
Andie
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2008 at 3:20pm
eeek Andie, that's not fun at all and you're probably feeling glad now that you're not working (employed )! Sing out if you need a hand with Miss Ella... mind you, it would be after 4pm or on the weekends, though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>