FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedElection Time...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Election Time...
    Posted: 12 September 2008 at 12:57pm
Helen Clark has announced at a press conference today that the general election will be taking place on 8 November 2008. Going to be an interesting few months now.
Sponsored Links

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 1:07pm
Oh? My Mum's 50th on that day....I will be way too busy to vote!!

aussiegirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussiegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 1:12pm
Yes, just saw the press conference. it will be interesting
Mum to Hayley **30.6.08
Jay_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 1:32pm
Ewww, I HATE the run up to an election

Wish it had just been a snap election with no time for any of the campaigning bollocks that goes on!

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 1:37pm

Originally posted by joshierocks joshierocks wrote:

Ewww, I HATE the run up to an election

Wish it had just been a snap election with no time for any of the campaigning bollocks that goes on!

If they did that the campaigning bollocks would just start a lot earlier.

Jay_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 1:40pm
Oh. Yeah.... didn't think of it like that

So are people going to be brave and share who they intend to vote for???

I'll show you mine....
ohanlon82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohanlon82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 1:40pm
should be interesting - DH is away that weekend he will have to vote up north
http://lb2f.lilypie.com/TikiPic.php/RPaODBg.jpg
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 2:14pm
I was originally thinking National....now I'm really not sure. Def not NZ First though.
Jay_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 2:18pm
I'm on the Maori Roll, and in the Tamaki Makaurau electorate, so my vote for candidate will definitely be going to Pita Sharples. In my opinion he is the most honourable man in NZ Politics.

Party vote will be Labour.
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 2:30pm
Labour supporter here too.  Actually I tend to swing between Labour and the Greens but at this stage I'm voting Labour.
Aprilfools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aprilfools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 2:34pm
Um um um, I haven't decided yet.
I don't like all the campaigning much either but I did enjoy some of the debates held on Campbell and other shows last time.

Henna79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henna79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 2:42pm
I'll be voting National and whoever their candidate is here, I can't remember who he is even though he came to our house    
ohanlon82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohanlon82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 2:50pm
Yip National here for me - candiadate aswell
clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 2:56pm
National for me
Margs B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margs B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 2:59pm
National Party here too.
DS March 09 IVF
Angel Baby Jan 13
Jay_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 3:02pm
Can I just ask.... and I'm not asking to cause yucky arguments, but those who are thinking of voting National, is it because you like John Key (cos we don't know too much around thier policies just yet), or is it because you are over Labour?

I had an interesting discussion with a friend around this the other night, and I just wondered what others were feeling round this.
baalamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baalamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by minik8e minik8e wrote:

I was originally thinking National....now I'm really not sure. Def not NZ First though.

Ditto! Helen's speech today was very persuading. I have to admit though, I don't know much about any of the parties really. Politics bores me senseless, but I'm finding that this year, I want to make an informed decision rather than just ticking a box.
Zina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by minik8e minik8e wrote:

I agree. I have never really been a huge Labour fan. I really think they have had their run. However, in saying that National really don't seem to have offered much of an alternative as far as policies go.

I think the next few months shall be interesting.
ohanlon82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohanlon82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 3:13pm
i agree have not heard much about National policies at the moment. Will be interesting to hear what happens now

I just am sick on Labour and Helen Clark - i will get no relief from any of there policies bar the tax relief one.. but in saying that will have to wait and see what the other parties have to offer

I just think it might be time for a change.
Dont mind John Keyes either
Mum2L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 3:27pm
ohanlon82 - I am doing a research paper as part of my honours on political parties, and the National Party does not have a good track record in terms of spending in public services. Even though I critique Labour as well, I just don't support National one bit. Just remember many people on this forum rely on the Working For Families package and accommodation supplements. Labour had the guts to increase income threshold levels for such social security payments.

John Key is a charismatic politician, but he is also an inexperienced politician. He is controlled by a team of advisers. Well known fact in politicial circles.

Also remember that the leadership of the National Party is very unstable. They have gone through 4 leaders since 1996, and John Key is the 5th leader in that time. Labour has had the same leader in that period of time.

Sure Labour have had their mistakes, but studies have shown that people are more likely to criticise an organisation led by a female (a reason example is Theresa Gattung, who use to be the CEO of Telecom).

The reason why National are keeping policies to themselves at the moment, is because they know a lot of voters who have families are not going to like them. Scrapping things like ACC is a bad move, as it will make it harder for people to get treatment for work-related injuries. Even an accountantcy firm like PriceWarehouseCoopers (who are known to support conservative parties like National) said that privatising ACC is the worst thing to do, as the model in place is the most efficient in terms of levies charged, how claims are treated, and the financial structure. Insurance companies are only interested in profits, not the welfare of the person who has been injured.

So anyone who is going to vote National should rethink their decision, and start researching the policies of all political parties. I am not saying you should Labour, but make a researched decision when you go to the polling booth. The media distort the truth. Any media you do read or hear always has a politicial bias in it. For example, The Dominion Post is known to have a centre-right bias in its political articles.

Personally myself, I am giving my electorate vote to the Labour candidate and my party vote to the Greens.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>