FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow much do you put in pockets overnight?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
SBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much do you put in pockets overnight?
    Posted: 21 August 2009 at 3:11pm
We've got some Fuzzi Bunz that we use overnight (8 hours) but I don't know how much to stuff it with so I probably overstuff! We also got them second hand so I have no idea what the inserts are supposed to be able to handle. They're microfibre (I think) and there are thicker ones and thinner ones (In my imagination the thicker ones are 8 layers and the thinner ones are 4...). We also got some inserts as part of a nappy kit and there are ones there with a kind of peach coloured border which I imagine are 2-layer?? I really have no idea though!

As you can see I'm rather n00b with all this and would love to hear what others use and if anyone can decipher what kind of inserts I have!
Sponsored Links

Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 3:36pm
Hey Sarah..

Ive used in DD's night-nap (Honeychild med) from around 12 weeks one 4 layer microfibre insert (Honeychilds) and one flat nappy pad-folded to make 16 layers - works a treat! Shes in it for 12-14hours and never a leak, even when we have 3-4 night feeds some nights..

If you've got flats give them a go, they're quite bulky but totally do the trick and dry in a flash

Oh and I imagine your thicker inserts are probably 4 layer and thinner ones 2 layer.

You could also try hemp or bamboo.. available from Greenbeans if you can make your own, it works out cheaper. Or you can pick them up from various nappy makers.

HTH
flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 4:00pm
At night I chuck in a microfibre with either a hemp trifold or a double layer bamboo trifold. During the day I just use the microfibre :)
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
SBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Jezsika Jezsika wrote:

Welllllllllll i went and brought the inserts that are the guts of the real nappies....

I put:

1x Real nappies insert
1x Hemp Microfibre Trifold
1x Microfibre
1x Bamboo Hemp Trifold

Perfect for us :D

Oh my that sounds like heaps! Is that very bulky??
SBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Flake Flake wrote:

At night I chuck in a microfibre with either a hemp trifold or a double layer bamboo trifold. During the day I just use the microfibre :)

How many layers is the microfibre one?

And what's more absorbent? Microfibre, bamboo or hemp? For some reason I decided microfibre was (again, in my imagination) which is weird because I usually hate synthetic fabrics. We were given a couple of hemp or bamboo trifolds in the nappy kit but I don't know what they are or how absorbent they might be so I'm too scared to use them overnight in case they don't work
SBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by anna_bana anna_bana wrote:

Hey Sarah..

Ive used in DD's night-nap (Honeychild med) from around 12 weeks one 4 layer microfibre insert (Honeychilds) and one flat nappy pad-folded to make 16 layers - works a treat! Shes in it for 12-14hours and never a leak, even when we have 3-4 night feeds some nights..

If you've got flats give them a go, they're quite bulky but totally do the trick and dry in a flash

Oh and I imagine your thicker inserts are probably 4 layer and thinner ones 2 layer.

You could also try hemp or bamboo.. available from Greenbeans if you can make your own, it works out cheaper. Or you can pick them up from various nappy makers.

HTH

Yeah we have flats and I did try that once but it seemed stiff and bulky... good to know they're awesome though!

Novella's in mediums already? We bought some smalls off TM but they're rather well used so the leg-elastic is not very stretchy anymore, makes it hard to tell how well they fit!
LeahandJoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 8:05pm

My boy is a VERY heavy wetter and we use a ecobubs wool pocket which I stuff the bejeezers out of!!

I use the long microfibre insert folded in half and snapped that came with the nappy,

a bamboo booster (2 or 3 layer i can't remember)

a hemp homemade insert (4 layer)

and a hemp 2 layer booster.

We also have another couple of inserts that came with the other outers which are flats, I think 1 side is microfibre and the other fleecey hemp, which folds into 3. So with that I put another 3 layer microfibre insert, and a  bamboo booster and a hemp 4 layer insert.

He doesn't leak out of that!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by SarahBoBera SarahBoBera wrote:

How many layers is the microfibre one?

6 I think :)

And what's more absorbent? Microfibre, bamboo or hemp? For some reason I decided microfibre was (again, in my imagination) which is weird because I usually hate synthetic fabrics. We were given a couple of hemp or bamboo trifolds in the nappy kit but I don't know what they are or how absorbent they might be so I'm too scared to use them overnight in case they don't work

Use the hemp with the microfibre. The microfibre more whips away the moisture, the hemp/bamboo holds it.
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 9:30pm
Some swear by just using bamboo so you could give that a go. But I swear by flats - yep the pocket looks really stiff and uncomfy but she has never complained and it does the job

And yep she was in mediums at 7wks (although honeychild meds start at 5kg). In fact she had outgrown the smalls by 11weeks which I was gutted about since they say they should fit an average baby till around 6mths!

Anyway, hope you find something that works well for you
SBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Jezsika Jezsika wrote:

Yep sure its but hes a VERY heavy wetter, the only nappy that i found that can take that and not leak is a nudey rudey

I've never heard of Nudey Rudey...
SBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by LeahandJoel LeahandJoel wrote:

My boy is a VERY heavy wetter and we use a ecobubs wool pocket which I stuff the bejeezers out of!!

I use the long microfibre insert folded in half and snapped that came with the nappy,

a bamboo booster (2 or 3 layer i can't remember)

a hemp homemade insert (4 layer)

and a hemp 2 layer booster.

We also have another couple of inserts that came with the other outers which are flats, I think 1 side is microfibre and the other fleecey hemp, which folds into 3. So with that I put another 3 layer microfibre insert, and a  bamboo booster and a hemp 4 layer insert.

He doesn't leak out of that!!

I haven't tried an Ecobubs wool pocket but they look divine and wool is awesome! They're so expensive though and hardly ever come up on TM
That's a lot of layers too! Maybe I'll just keep overstuffing Natalie's pockets - better to be safe than sorry!

How did everyone find out how much they needed to put in their nappies?? Trial and error or just stuff them with as much as you can and cross your fingers!?
SBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 10:45pm

Use the hemp with the microfibre. The microfibre more whips away the moisture, the hemp/bamboo holds it.

Ahhhh that makes so much sense!! I remember reading about that now, how microfibre traps the moisture between the layers. Then what happens to it when pressure is applied, where does it go?! I think I will do that, thanks Flake =)
SBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by anna_bana anna_bana wrote:

Some swear by just using bamboo so you could give that a go. But I swear by flats - yep the pocket looks really stiff and uncomfy but she has never complained and it does the job

And yep she was in mediums at 7wks (although honeychild meds start at 5kg). In fact she had outgrown the smalls by 11weeks which I was gutted about since they say they should fit an average baby till around 6mths!

Anyway, hope you find something that works well for you

LOL fair enough! Natalie sleeps on her side though (with a boobie in her face...!) and if I stuff it too full she ends up on her back and has to crane her neck to have a snack! I'm hoping to try and get her to sleep on her back though (and put the boobie away between feeds!) so maybe a big stiff nappy will help!

Is it true that Medium sized nappies (in general over most brands) are the size that get the most use? We have so far bought all our nappies second-hand but I'm thinking if the Medium's are going to be used for ages I might splash out and buy some new ones!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2009 at 8:19am
Not sure about that bit.

I purchased Hollie's nappies new, as a package deal,(hemp, microfible, zorba doublers (shaped bamboo), doublers, liners) so I thought I HAD to use the boosters in the pockets lol. It took me a while to realise that around home just microfibre was fine, but if we were heading out for an extended length of time or overnight, she needed a booster :)

Very much trial, error and hope for the best!

edit(s): Terrible spelling and grammer, need more coffee!

Edited by Flake
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2009 at 5:51pm
Do you think she is a very heavy wetter Sarah? Caprece wasn't so much and we could use a hemp/bamboo trifold and a microfibre insert and that was fine. It was very much trial and error for us to suss out how many layers to put in. Bamboo and hemp are generally less bulky and hold more than microfibre so if you want to debulk take out some microfibre and add bamboo or hemp.

In terms of mediums I think if you are going for fuzzis or honeychild mediums seem to be the one but if you want to go with ittis large seems to be the size to go for.
SBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2009 at 8:03pm
Well we tried her with a 4-layer microfibre, a hemp(?? I think it's hemp) trifold and a 2-layer microfibre last night for 12-hours and she was fine!! That was also the first time she hasn't had a nappy change midway through the night so I have to say that was very successful! Am looking in to buying some hemp trifolds but they seem so expensive! I guess we only use them at night so we'd only need 3 or 4...
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2009 at 8:35pm
glad you found something that works!
You could go to www.greenbeans.co.nz and buy hemp and make the inserts yourself.

for instance 100cm x 150cm piece costs around $16.. you culd make a few trifolds outa that! If you don't have access to an overlocker you could get a seamstress to whip them up for you, I'm sure that wouldn't cost too much as its pretty basic sewing I would assume. Just a thought
SBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2009 at 11:13pm
anna_bana are you a seamstress??
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2009 at 12:22am
Originally posted by SarahBoBera SarahBoBera wrote:

anna_bana are you a seamstress??

hehehe.. who me??? Unfortunetly not.. I wish! Although I'm going to learn how to sew in the next few weeks, getting my first machine
Soooo if it all works out and I can whip up some inserts, I'll let you know
SBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2009 at 12:26pm
Fun, we have a sewing machine but all my knowledge is from 3rd form home-ec! We tried making bum wipes out of an old sheet when I was preggy and though they work fine, they aren't a pretty sight, and would have been way more successful with an overlocker instead of us fumbling to hem the edges....

I don't suppose sewing machines have a secret button you can press that turns them into overlockers???...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>